Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Recommend me some campsites in Devon and Cornwall
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mrs PP and I are off cycling round Devon and Cornwall in a few weeks time. I've got a route roughly planned and I've found a few nice looking sites, but recommendations are a Good Thing, and you might know some nice ones that I've not seen!

I'm looking for small, quiet sites near the coast between say 30 miles from Bideford to just past Newquay on the north coast and between the other side of the bay from Falmouth and the near side of Plymouth (Looe?) on the south coast please

Somewhere within say 5 miles of the Eden Project would be nice too!

Thanks in advance!
    🙂

t-obias
    Free Member

Perranporth Camping and Touring park.

I've stayed there more time than I can remember. Has all the facilities you'd expect from a campsite, showers, laundry room etc, plus a bar on site as well as a swimming pool. It's a 5 minute walk from the beach which has a pub litterally on the sand. The coastal paths that lead straight out off of the 3 mile beach have some amazing views.

Perranporth is about 7 1/2 miles along the coast from Newquay moving west towards Lands End.

jimmers
    Free Member

PP, good luck finding a spot. We have just come back from that part of the world and all of the campsites we stayed in are booked up for the kiddy holiday season.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That does look quite nice thanks!

Jim, I'm talking early September when the kids are all back at school!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Peter – can you get as far as the Roseland Peninsula (on the South coast of Cornwall)?

Cracking site here:

http://www.coastalfarmholidays.co.uk

Quiet, lovely views, good facilities.

If you want REALLY quiet, this is an amazing place – I can almost see it from my office – about 3 miles from Truro:

And this one is near Fowey nr Eden Project – not stayed but driven past it many times:

ttp://www.penhale-fowey.co.uk

Or there's my garden – 5 acres, mostly wooded, direct river views, nr Truro 😉 Not very level though..

jimmers
    Free Member

In that case I would recommend this place.

linky

Max 12 pitches. We were here last week and there were only 3 pitches taken. They also have a barn where you can charge electrical stuff. Very laid back. Plus great views and easy access to the coastal path + a "secret" beech.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Jimmers – great recommendation! Spent many days swimming and fishing in Lantic Bay very close to that campsite. Lovely area and decent places to eat in Fowey (a good mate grew up there so spent lots of time in the town).

jimmers
    Free Member

Aye it is a great spot. We stayed here for 3 nights (would have been 4 nights if the exhaust hadn't fallen off on the drive down). We then moved onto another campsite near Salcombe for another 4 nights and onto the Bonty 24/12 event.

The campsite at Salcombe was more than double the price and the showers and toilets were rank compared to Highertown campsite. We regretted not staying longer.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Jimmers – my uncle has a gaff in Salcombe so know it well. Anything with that name (house, restaurant, etc) in it's address appears to feel the need to at least double it's prices. It's a nice town but like Rock (where Mrs Matt grew up), it's a bit of a victim of it's own success.

jimmers
    Free Member

Surfmat – bit of a slight highjack, do you know of any decent campsites in the South Hams area that is similar to the Highertown campsite?

We go camping in the SW every year as our main holiday so it would be good to find somewhere in Devon that's nice i.e. not a site with 100+ pitches and static caravans galore.

donks
    Free Member

we stayed on a realy good basic and bloody cheap site just above Bedruthen Steps, cant remember the name but i dont suppose there many just there?
    But failing that Tregarten Park about 2mins from the Lost Gardens of Heligan was really nice as you have Mevagissy and Pentewan bay just next door and Eden is only about 8-10 miles away.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Jimmers – a bit thin on the ground TBH. My inlaws have a place in Newton Ferrers in the South Hams but nice campsites are a bit sparse.

This is the only one I've seen in person and it's look pretty nice:

http://www.vennfarm.co.uk/campingandcaravan.htm

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

In that case I would recommend this place.

linky

Max 12 pitches. We were here last week and there were only 3 pitches taken. They also have a barn where you can charge electrical stuff. Very laid back. Plus great views and easy access to the coastal path + a "secret" beech

Perfect! Thanks for that! Exactly what I was looking for: Field, toilet, shower.

Anyone know one close-ish to Bude?

wors

Just come back from holywell bay holiday park. Just outside newquay. Bloody lovely beach, nice site and 2 good pubs within 5 minutes.

soma_rich
    Free Member

We staid at Crantock Plains near Cantock/Newquay Stunning beach at Cranktock and Porth Joke.

Couples and families only.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Peter – this is your best choice by miles IMO:

http://www.aboutbritain.com/campsites/campsite6545.asp

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Not stayed but ridden through a couple of these & they look good http://www.johnfowlerholidays.com/page/home.html?_$ja=kw:John+Fowler|cgn:Brand|cgid:680427397|tsid:7308|cn:John+Fowler-+Brand|cid:25702057|lid:282421802|mt:Broad|nw:search|crid:3626033797

soma_rich
    Free Member

Pete I have 2 annual passes for Eden project (same price as a daily pass!) Can pop them in the post to you. You will be Rich and Sarah for the day though…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Rich, YGM, very good of you! 🙂

There's some great suggestions here chaps, I've checked them all out and got a really nice route coming together. We have 12 days off, with 7 days 'riding' between sites. Most of those days are around 30 miles with only one of about 50 miles

It'll be all road riding with maybe the odd cycle track here and there, pulling the camping gear in a trailer. 🙂

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

Stoke Barton – Hartland in between Bideford and Bude

takisawa2

The B3276 north out of Newquay is a nice road. Great view where it descends into Watergate Bay, always thought that would be nice to ride along. Further on the NT tea room at Bedruthen Steps does a mean Cream Tea. ukcampsite.co.uk is useful for finding sites. I doubt you'll struggle for a site if its just you & the Mrs, & you turn up on bikes.

bassspine
    Free Member

el gato : don't tell everybody – that campsite should be kept secret.

It's brilliant. We were down there a month ago for my daughter's 18th birthday. Just lovely.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

bassspine & el gato – I'd actually already found that campsite and was intending to stop there, but thanks for the recommendation! 😀

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some campsites in Devon and Cornwall’ is closed to new replies.