Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Recommend me a veggie/vegan cookbook
  • Buzzard
    Free Member

Want to branch out from my regular veggie/vegan recipes (one of my resolutions). Can anyone recommend a family friendly (i.e something my two u10’s would eat) cookbook for veggie/vegan dinners?

kayak23

Got this for chrimbo.
    The potty mouthed language isn’t exactly ‘family friendly’, but the food is lush. Cooked two things from it already and everyone is impressed.

Also recommend

Also, anything Ottilhengi if you don’t mind a tad more complexity.

bigjim

tried to use that thug cook book yesterday. so many random ingredients required for the recipes we couldn’t get in the local coop that we made macaroni cheese instead, with some nice ham in it too…

maccruiskeen

A second vote for Thug Kitchen

Googling Ottolenghi recipes is worthwhile too – I’m not sure if any of his books are exclusively veggie but he wrote a veggie column for the guardian for quite a while so theres lots of stuff from that online

so many random ingredients required for the recipes we couldn’t get in the local coop

If you want to eat good food you need to shop in good shops

kayak23

If you want to eat good food you need to shop in good shops

True, plus a lot of the ingredients can be substituted easily for more run of the mill stuff. If you plan though, you can do it ok by going to decent shops.

Buzzard
    Free Member

got some standard Ottolenghi recipes we use but like the idea of simpler stuff. Will take a look at thug kitchen but the ingredients comment does not bode well.

thenorthwind

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall’s River Cottage Veg everyday. Unlike most cookbooks it’s full of recipes that you can actually realistically make regularly. Loads of recipes out of it have made it onto regular rotation in our house. Probably cook something that originated in it (i.e. directly from it, or adapted, or part of a recipe) at least once a week, usually more.

addy6402

Just got this, only cooked a couple of things but very tasty so far!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Aye, I’ve been using the thug kitchen book cos have a new veggie/lactose intolerant girlfriend.

I really like the food and it’s cheaper than the stuff with meat in generally (unless you’re talking a pack of chicken nuggets for dinner). Made the recipes for lots of people who’ve come round and they’ve all really liked it and a few bought the book.

steveoath
    Free Member

Another one for thug kitchen. (They have thug 101 out now too). Great tasting food. The burritos are A M A Z I N G ! ! !

slowster
    Free Member
    mogrim

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall’s River Cottage Veg everyday

This. Good recipes, usually fairly simple (so useful “everyday”), and normal ingredients you can find in any supermarket.

Ottolenghi’s recipes are nice, but if you’re scared of the Thug Kitchen ingredient list…

bishj
    Free Member

Rose Elliot’s New Complete Vegetarian.
    Got this for Christmas and it has so many recipes – cooked a few already and have been yummy. They generally use very simple ingredients that you’ll have in the cupboard.

vondally
    Free Member

Really recommend Hugh F W book, Delia Smith is also supisingly good, hemsley and hemsley is good if rather upper class,

skink2020

Check out ‘Another Dinner is possible’.
    Vegan mind you.

CraigW
    Free Member

Rose Elliot “Vegan Feasts” or Leah Leneman “Easy Vegan Cooking”.
    Both are fairly simple recipes, not too many obscure ingredients, good for everyday stuff.

jamj1974

I like the Accidental Vegetarian by Simon Rimmer. Not fussed on his TV cooking, but there are some good straightforward recipes in there – not too complex at all.

Also a third vote for th HF-W River Cottage veg book. Some incredibly simple but very tasty recipes.

vdubber67
    Free Member

The Sea Shepherd one is good…Cookin up a storm…

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Leon fast vegetarian is rather good too

The Thug guys seem to like food. I’m not convinced Ella does.

kayak23

Ella loves food alright. Her recipes are kin amazing. Absolutely delicious. My girlfriend is always cooking from them. They really make you feel like you’re eating healthily too.

Different approach to thug kitchen sure, but she creates fantastic stuff.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

the recipes on the vegandad blog are definitely kid-friendly… link to buy his cookbook on the page too.

chvck
    Free Member

I find a girl called jack recipes are pretty great and definitely not out there on the ingredients, easy to use as base recipes to add to as well. I’ve not bought her books but I’m going to in the next 5 minutes…

mogrim

I find a girl called jack recipes are pretty great and definitely not out there on the ingredients, easy to use as base recipes to add to as well. I’ve not bought her books but I’m going to in the next 5 minutes…

They’re… alright. Ideal for students or anyone on a tight budget. But they’re a bit bland (her curries are awful, for example), probably as she’s setting out to limit the cost, and that means sacrificing ingredients at times. It’s maybe an unfair criticism, but if money isn’t that bad I wouldn’t bother.

chvck
    Free Member

I would say that’s a pretty much fair assessment mogrim. I’ve not tried the curries but do quite like some of the recipes for simple meals.

Buzzard
    Free Member

Thanks All – lots to be getting on with.

smashit
    Free Member

http://annajones.co.uk/ is worth a look too. We use it quite a lot for seasonal recipes.

prettygreenparrot

Veggie food? Marlena Spieler’s ‘The flavor [sic] of California’. Brilliant.
    Vegan? My regular book is ‘Vegan Health Plan’ by Amanda Sweet. Pretty old book and rather ‘old school’ vegan recipes but easy to make stuff.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a veggie/vegan cookbook’ is closed to new replies.