Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Recommend me a trail designer
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I have just got permission to put a cycle skills area into Southampton Sports Centre (http://southamptoncycle.wordpress.com/)

What I need is the names of some people who can design the trails. I want nice flowey singletrack with various berms, rollers and table tops to practice on.

I don’t want a 10 foot wide BMX track and I don’t want some rad jump site.

So far, the only bloke I know with relevant experience is Ian Warby (CTC, Aston Hill and Avon Tyrrell).

Any other suggestions welcome. If anyone wants to help with the work I hope to start with a little digger shortly after the cyclocross on November 13th.

jam-bo

Rowan sorrell at back on track.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Phil Saxena, Architrail

Currently building two pump tracks in Bristol and just finished Ashton Court trail redev.

Has done UCI 4X all over the world.

Underhill
    Free Member

+1 for Phil Saxena. Recently rode some stuff he’s done in Northern Ireland & it sounds like exactly the sort of thing you want.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Anyone got contact details for Phil? His website is a logo and under construction message.

Rorschach
    Free Member

http://www.extremetrack.co.uk/
    Mei is very good….and a good lad and all.

wallop

Get Phil Saxena on Twitter @architrail

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

SingletrAction and FC have used Clixbys, nice bloke, rides bikes and does an excellent job. I’m not entirely sure which trails he’s actually designed, he’s certainly built alot.
    If you want to talk to someone who’s dealt with Rowan Sorrell on major MTB projects, I can put you in touch with the main FC man responsible for all the recent Gisburn Forest developments, he dealt with Rowan extensively from start to finish . Really nice guy, so I’m sure he would give you loads of advice about managing mtb trail builds and/or dealing with Rowan Sorrell.
    You could also email Tim Sellors, Chairman of SingletrAction, he has 10 years of experience of building MTB trails, pump tracks and dealing with contractors.

geoffj

Russell Burton

jedi

look up joe symonds and stb who built the corby dirt jumps etc.. they know more about flow than the rest put together

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Another vote for Archtrail.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

look up joe symonds and stb who built the corby dirt jumps etc.. they know more about flow than the rest put together

nice comment about fellow people in the industry, but did you read this Sir, from the OP

I don’t want a 10 foot wide BMX track and I don’t want some rad jump site.

I’ve seen the excellent work Sorrell, Saxena and Clixby have done on MTB trails, pump tracks, skills areas, jump sections, all top quality.

stumpyjon

Rowen’s work in Cragg quarry is excellent, flow personified.

Trekster

Rik @ Drumlanrigg
    Tally from upliftscotland
    Pete laing
    Andy Hopkins @ 7Stanes

The jedi ??

toys19
    Free Member

I reckon Jedi would be good, he has built good stuff at herts shore and woburn, I know Rowan Sorrel is good. Phil Saxena/Architrail built the pump track and skills area at Haldon, and they are utter shite.

jedi

nick,
    hope my email made sense 🙂
    i’m rubbish at typing stuff

banginon

Are you building the trails yourself ?

What are the underlying ground conditions?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Another mention for Russ Burton here, good guy 🙂

Shadow
    Free Member

Russ Burton top bloke

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

bangin on – getting a digger for the start work and then work teams to hand craft them. Chalky soil

jedi

nice to see you at herts wca. let me know how it goes 🙂

jedi

nice to see you at herts wca. let me know how it goes 🙂

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

T’was nice to visit. I will keep you updated with progress.

LoCo
    Free Member
    martinxyz
    Free Member

paul masson and pete laing.

Macgyver

Bloke I adventure race with from work has helped comission quite a few trails using Phil Saxena from Architrail. Latest one is in Dinsdale in Northern Ireland I think. He comes highly recommended.

Macgyver

Forgot to add……

banginon

Have a look at the trails at Middleden in Kirkcaldy.

Very diferent soil structure but the way you want to do it sounds similar.

Rik

carbon337
    Free Member

Look someone’s put small motorways through that there wood.

Less hardpack please!

banginon

Some of the woods are on clay, which needs a hardpack top to remain rideable all year round. Definitely no motorways tho’ very 3d flowing, pumptastic trails even on the surfaced ‘blue’ grade stuff.

Where possible the trails are as dug and much nicer to ride, no pics of these on the club site tho’

Bare in mind that the trails are for everyone and unlike the FE trail centres where access is, to an extent, self policing (you need a volvo or BMW to get there). The trails at Kirkcaldy are open to all, with a huge range of experience and skill levels. Something you’ll need to think about very seriously for any urban fringe trail network.

Edit – obviuosly the motorway comments above relate to the Blessingborne site not Middleden. Although those trails look great and fit for purpose to me.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a trail designer’ is closed to new replies.