• This topic has 27 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by bespokesuit6-spam.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Recommend me a suit…
  • DT78
    Free Member

Wedding coming up in Sept, last suit bought 7 years ago so feel it is time I splashed out and bought a new one.

Need one that can be tailored (due to thigh size….) which tends to rule out straight forward M&S purchase, plus I don’t buy them often so want one that is a bit more than that, but doesn’t cost a fortune (moon-stick?)

Last suits were grey and a black YSL from Moss Bros, nice but looking tired now

Been in the city for the week and seen quite a few fitted navy suits which looked smart, not sure for a wedding though?

jonnyrobertson

I’ve just ordered one from iTailor. I was after a brown 3 piece suit. Got one with a herringbone pattern, bootcut trousers, tailored in the style I wanted. You can choose liner colour, how many buttons, where to position vents, pleats etc… I paid just over £240 for a bespoke suit of pretty much my own design. Only snag is it comes from Thailand so if you screw up your measurements “popping back in” to get it adjusted might be an issue… Check it out anyway, it’s a pro set up and has plenty of good reviews. You maybe just have to put a little faith in it, as I have done that it will all be “just so” when it arrives 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

bootcut trousers

starting your own trend there 😆

jonnyrobertson

I’m bringin’ em back! Or maybe not! 😀

mikertroid
    Free Member

Austin Reed. Great suits and some really good deals too.

Got A lovely Dark blue pinstripe for less than half price.

wool

Second on the Austin Reed nice has loads over the years they are v good

DT78
    Free Member

itailor seems to get mixed reviews from what I’ve seen on the net, thanks for the suggestion for a £200+ I wouldn’t be happy to find out I’d made a mistake with the measurements

craigmorris22
    Free Member

Slaters Tailor suits quite well, can do regular stuff.. But they stock some very smart Ted Baker endurance, Ralph L and Boss (I think).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Define “a fortune”?

Many options….all dependent!

DT78
    Free Member

Budget of £400-500, any more than that and the wife won’t be happy(!) looks like bespokes are usually in the region of £600 🙁

Been reading this thread…
    http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=210&t=958932&mid=0&i=40&nmt=Made+to+Measure+Suit+companies%2E%2E%2Eyour+experiences%2E%2E%2E&mid=0

Bregante

Go to a hotel near you and ask for Mr Daswani’s room. This fella gets some good reviews.

http://www.raja-fashions.com/#

TooTall
    Free Member

A half-decent bespoke is going to be a lot closer to four figures than £600. Those suits in the thread you mentioned (pistonheads for suit advice??) are not bespoke – they are made to measure. itailor are the same – made to measure.
    I’d suggest starting somewhere like Slaters where they can mix and match jackets and trousers. You’ll get a better OTP fit for you somewhere like that.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

pistonheads for suit advice??

STW for suit advice??

TooTall
    Free Member

Fair point – but to go to pistonheads as an alternative to singleITsupportworkerinatshirtworld?

turboferret

I’ve always bought off-the-shelf suits, but like Ted Baker Endurance range, look stylish but not so much that they’ll date quickly, decent quality, and good value too (certainly compared to their £100 casual shirts 😯 )

Cheers, Rich

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

singleITsupportworkerinatshirtworld?

🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

evidently you need to wear a tie but leave the top button undone, all the smart I.T. people do this.

DT78
    Free Member

Pistonheads just came up on google when searching for the suit company names suggested. As did moneysavingexpert…

So is there a forum that covers a normal bloke needs a suit?

Off the pegs rarely fit due to chunky legs, and until I started looking I had no idea there was a difference between made to measure and bespoke.

luket

I have a couple of suits from “Cad and the Dandy”. Terrible company name but the suits are very good indeed and mine were in your price range just about. They measure you up then the making is done in (I think) china using fabric from here. They then do final adjustments here. Based in the city, near Bank tube.

totalshell

i thought it said recommend me a slut..

TooTall
    Free Member

DT78 – I suggested somewhere like Slaters because they do mix and match the trousers and jackets and have lots of different styles and brands with different fits.

If you do need something made, you need to get a move on, so go and try them on quick! Strangely enough, you need to try a suit on rather than look it up on a forum (especially if you have odd-sized legs), so no recommendations for on line.

stufield
    Free Member

For Bespoke – £2,000 plus

http://www.englishcut.com
    http://www.gievesandhawkes.co.uk

But have never had the money for those.

For Made to Measure –
    Magee from – http://www.lugets.com/
    £295 – they made my wedding suit, was proper old school suits you sir service, best money spent ever on clothes,Old geezer just came out with jacket and said try this and was best fit I’ve ever had. Got to pick all the options and he knew what to suggest and what would work and what wouldn’t

TooTall
    Free Member

For Bespoke – £2,000 plus

Only if you are mental enough to buy from a ‘named’ tailor or somewhere like Gieves and Thieves. Half that from a provincial tailor will see you with the same cloth and possibly better detail and sewing.

catsplums
    Free Member

gieves and hawk have a good reputation, not sure about being taylored but I have a couple of ted baker suits as they seem to fit my lanky long limbs pretty well and can then be tailored afterwards to suit further if required.

theflatboy
    Free Member

king and allen are a cross between british made to measure and far east tailoring. supposed to be very good though haven’t used them myself. definitely worth a look:

http://www.kingandallen.co.uk/

wrecker
    Free Member

I find the Ted Baker suits roomy in the thigh. They can be gotten very reasonably from the outlet centres too.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’ve just orderd a bespoked suit from here for my wedding…

Comes in at about £1k

Clicky Thingy

Spotty dog IMHO

donsimon
    Free Member

THE BEST QUALITY IN THE WORLD

FACT! 😆

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a suit…’ is closed to new replies.