Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Recommend me a softshell top please.
  • matty456
    Free Member

Always worn a waterproof jacket when it’s cold. Looking for a softshell and to only use jacket when it’s super cold or raining. Always wear a base layer too. Any recommendations / good deals around?

I thankyou 😀

Rubber-Duck
    stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Another suggestion
    I just got one of these. Would love to try a Gore one but can’t afford one at the moment. Anyway the Dare2be one seems pretty good for the money and kept me nice and warm last Wednesday night, wore it over the top of a couple of merino layers. Thinking it’ll be more versatile, being sleeveless. Downsides are that it’s not cycling specific so it’s a little shorter in the back but I didn’t notice it to be honest.

OwenP

Had one of these this winter, been really impressed by it

Windchill jacket

‘Singletrack recommended’ too….

rascal
    Free Member

Bought a very-nearly-new Gore Phantom on Fleabay (£63…£140 new) recently and I love it.
    LS base layer underneath…it’s all good! Not tried it with the sleeves removed yet but that was part of the attraction.

flyingmonkeycorps

I have one of these and it was worth every penny. It’s marketed as a summer jacket, but for me it’s more of a 3 season job, ie on dry days when it’s not really cold. It’s lightweight and breathable so not overly waterproof or windproof, but I find it ideal for riding.

I also have a cheapo Dare2Be snow one which I use on colder days, and that’s not bad, though the Marmot is WAY nicer in every way. The Dare2Be is much thicker and less breathable, which makes it sweatier and harder to move in. Plus the cut is a bit weird.

alfabus
    Free Member

gore phantom – I’ve got 2 of them… wear them almost every ride from October to April 🙂

Dave

tmb467
    Free Member

cheap and cheerful – Go Outdoors North Ridge Spindrift jacket for about £45 quid

I’ve worn one all winter with either a merino base layer or added a microfleece for when its really cold

had no problems with breathability (really good) and its pretty much windproof so you warm up quickly as soon as the zip is up. Water just beads off it – even tho ive washed it a couple of times. No leaks, and the sleeves are long to go over gloves / back is longish to cover arse

they do one up from it for about 50 quid thats fleece-lined but i was happy enough with the unlined one (cos that was all they had in stock that day!)

fudge9202
    Free Member

tog24 reduced from 70quid to 20 quid bought 2
    ridden in them three times absolutely great warmth and showerproof
    BARGAIN!!

stumpytom
    Free Member

I use one of these

I tend to run a bit hot so mostly just wear it with one base layer but I do find that it is really quite breathable despite the lack of pit vents etc. Not massively windproof but does me ok for 90% or rides and will ward off showers just fine.

Matt really likes it too

warpcow
    Free Member

flyingmonkeycorps – Member
    I have one of these and it was worth every penny. It’s marketed as a summer jacket, but for me it’s more of a 3 season job, ie on dry days when it’s not really cold. It’s lightweight and breathable so not overly waterproof or windproof, but I find it ideal for riding.

I also have a cheapo Dare2Be snow one which I use on colder days, and that’s not bad, though the Marmot is WAY nicer in every way. The Dare2Be is much thicker and less breathable, which makes it sweatier and harder to move in. Plus the cut is a bit weird.

plus 1, literally, since I just bought myself a second Tempo 😀

They can be had for only a few quid more than the cheapo brands (my latest was £40 in a sale), but the quality is miles better in terms of material, detail and fit.

flyingmonkeycorps

I keep getting tempted to buy another, they’re such a bargain compared to the cheaper stuff. I looked at the Dyno too, can’t remember why I went for the Marmot in the end – I think because Amazon had them in stock and I had a voucher.

matty456
    Free Member

Thanks STW liking the Marmot Tempo and the Montane Dyno looks like a good buy, and could wear them in pub. Hows the coverage round yer rear end? And do they fold up small if I wanted to chuck them in my backpack? Any good deals around?

Cheers.

r17anm
    Free Member

Montane hyena looks good

oldnick

Whatever you buy find out how to wash it without killing it.

I followed the instructions on the care label in my Endura Stealth, and killed it. The correct way is soap flakes or tech wash. Expensive lesson.

backinireland
    Free Member

Rab VR

flyingmonkeycorps

The Marmot folds up quite small, and whilst it’s not got a bike specific drop arse it is fairly long at the back. They size up quite big and are quite stretchy.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a softshell top please.’ is closed to new replies.