Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Recommend me a half lock-on grip (and what are foam grips like in use?)
  • orena45

Have got the On One Half Bob lock on grips on two bikes, but would like something a little thicker ideally, to reduce hand fatigue on longer downhills.

Has anyone tried the foam versions of these and if so, what are they like? In fact, what are foam grips like generally in use compared to rubber grips?

Apart from the Raceface Half Nelson grips, what other half-lock grips are out there?

Tracey

We have a few of the SIPs ones off here. Great grips. Also used the Enduro ones

http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/ftb/gripstape/grips

br
    Free Member

I use the On One foam versions, and really like them.

No problem at all in the wet as they seem to be sealed.

And tbh, they are so cheap – just try a set.

Also, are you using a carbon or alloy bar – as a decent carbon one seems to add ‘shock-proof’.

weeksy

Foams are OK… feel fine.. but I’ve come to the fact that although they feel like they’re better/more comfortable they’re a bit meh and not all they are cracked up to be. I rode on proper grips for the first time in ages at the weekend.. I had a bit more ‘feel’ I rekon, but certainly no less comfort and my hands felt no better/worse for being back on rubbery grips.

honourablegeorge

Bought a set of Raceface half Nelsons a few months back, very quickly bought a second set. They’re light, thin, cheap, soft, and ace.

Also using a set of the ODI Aaron Gwin grips for the DH bike – also really nice, but heavier, with an aluminium cap on the end, for a touch more ruggedness.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had some charge foam half lock on grips, they were horribly thin as thfoam was on a plastic sleve.

Propper foam grips are great (Ritchey WCS etc). They do migrate slowly allong/arround the bar, but they don’t throtle like rubber grips do. And a small dab of superglue sticks them down if it bothers you (one drop each end, then cut them off and wipe off the last bit with acetone to disolve the glue). And 0.3lb lighter than lock ons, considering the fuss some people make about bike weight the fact the insdutry managed to sell us 150g grips when the alternative was 15g (and IMO more comfortable and grippy) is crazy!

devash
    Free Member

I purchased some Oury lock on grips after a few people recommended them in a similar thread last year. They’re super chunky and probably the best grips I’ve ever had. Quite heavy though so worth bearing in mind if you’re a weight weenie.

stevied
    Free Member

Half Nelson’s here too. Very happy with them. Not as grippy as the Troy Lee’s they replaced but no problems so far. Also more comfortable without the outside lock-ring

honourablegeorge

thisisnotaspoon – Member

And 0.3lb lighter than lock ons, considering the fuss some people make about bike weight the fact the insdutry managed to sell us 150g grips when the alternative was 15g (and IMO more comfortable and grippy) is crazy!

Nonsense. 0.3lbs is 136.078 grams. typical set of lock ons, liek the ruffians pictures below are around 110. Lighter ones like Hope/RaceFace Half Nelson are 90-95 g.

Foam grips are usually about 60 g (ESI Chunky), not worth the faff IMO – they have too many disadvantages.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Nonsense. 0.3lbs is 136.078 grams. typical set of lock ons, liek the ruffians pictures below are around 110. Lighter ones like Hope/RaceFace Half Nelson are 90-95 g.

Foam grips are usually about 60 g (ESI Chunky), not worth the faff IMO – they have too many disadvantages.

not so. My old lock ons were 150g – my foam ones are around 30 g. I use a bit of hairspray and they never move about, even in the wet.

stumpy01

Specialized do some decent ‘half’ lock ons…

honourablegeorge

Those foam ones that are “about 30g” are probably closer to 60.

Ritchey WCS with end caps are 54 g, versus 92g for Hope lock ons, with integrated cap. 36g daved, versus the faff of hairspray and not being able to remove and refit the grips as needed? Not for me, but YMMV

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I use the esi silocones cut in half on one side for grip shift. Comfy last reasonably and easy to fit and secure. The only reason I need to remove them is if my 1 grip shift fails, I don’t have a spare so no real issue.

orena45

Yep, ally bars. Carbons would be awesome but out of my price range at the moment.

Half Nelson’s are sounding good as are those Spesh ones. Not wanting to spend any more than around £15 so they seem to suit my needs.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Enduro XL if you only want half locks ons if not then ODI Rogue

stevede
    Free Member

Sip grips are ok, don’t last too well though for me. I know you like a bargain Andy but the Half Nelsons are well worth the money, I’ve had them on both of my bikes for ages, wearing well, comfy and grippy. The end caps are cheapo plastic bungs that don’t last once you’ve had the grip on and off a couple of times, I replaced mine with Hope grip doctors to protect my carbon bars. That’s the only thing against them, if you’re on aluminium bars and don’t plan on removing the grips then the plastic ones should be sufficient.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ESI, half lock ons etc aren’t really foam grips are they, these are foam grips (and 15g, and IME don’t slip. Ritchey ones were about 33g on my scales. I found they migrated in allong the bars, but never slipped even in the pissing rain, solved by either a dab of glue or cut an old grip in half and put it between the grip and shifter.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bontrager/race-xxx-lite-foam-grips-ec032856

OK that’s without end caps, but the ritchey (and any other bit of plastic/cork) end caps are a lot lighter than the over engineered expanding bolt ODI ones. The ODI end caps probably weigh more than foram grips!

If you’ve not used foam grips since the horrible ones arround in the 90’s. Try them now, I’ve had them on all my bikes for the last few years and won’t ever be going back.

orena45

Ah cheers Steve. Still rocking your old Sunline bars…I don’t bother swapping grips over so plastic will be fine.

honourablegeorge

thisisnotaspoon – Member

ESI, half lock ons etc aren’t really foam grips are they

60g for their Chunky foam grips, no lock ons.

Here’s the WCS at 43g with no end caps, about 10g for the caps

Deffor not worth it for me, haven’t tried a foam grip I didn’t hate yet, and I’, constantly fiddling and swapping and changing bits – not being able to remove the grips easily is a hassle I wouldn’t put up with.

Santa Cruz have a one sided lock on grip out and at £15 its very good value for money .
    Had them now for 4 rides and very impressed with them ( had odi troy lee before ) and lots of colours too .

tpbiker
    Free Member

Those foam ones that are “about 30g” are probably closer to 60.

Not really….

I have these…not for everyone but perfectly functional.

johnnystorm

Having just got a Fatty with Lock-ons I remember now why I dislike them, bloody hard and horrible. ESI and similar silicone grips (like superstar) imho weigh less, are comfier and slide on fine with windowlene and stay put. Part of me sees lock-ons like PF BBs. Industry tells you they’re better when in reality they want to shave a couple of minutes off a bikes assembly time. 😉

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’ve been running Syntace moto grips on one of my bikes for the last year and rate them very highly. They come it two different widths, 30mm or 33mm.
    Scroll down the page linked below for pics/description.

syntace moto

spawnofyorkshire

I run Oury grips on my MTB which i take on and off using hairspray and cable ties. Nice combo of squidge and feedback. Would highly recomend.
    I used to run ESI foams but they’ve been relegated to my flat-bar roadbike now and i wouldn’t get another set

essexbiker
    Free Member

I’ve tried Superstar foam grips (very good – nice and chunky & light & cheap), Superstar silicon grips (I couldn’t get on with them) and finally settled on KCNC foam grips (better shaped than the SS ones). I found the best way to mount the foam grips is use a little bit of massage lube as it’s water based and dries out in 24 hours. I do get strange looks from the missus taking the lube into the garage though!

BillOddie

I found the best way to mount the foam grips is use a little bit of massage lube as it’s water based

Condom friendly innit…

and dries out in 24 hours.

Insert Essex Girl gag here…

bowglie

I’ve used Specialized half lock ons in the past and found them to be very good; not sure if its still the case, but FWIR, they used to do a couple of different deigns & diameters.

More recently, I bought some Santa Cruz ‘Palmdale’ grips for my OH’s bike, and they’re very nice indeed (& about £15) – really nice diameter and softness/texture.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a half lock-on grip (and what are foam grips like in use?)’ is closed to new replies.