Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recommend me a fairly leisurely lake district ride
  • binners

Oh wise and knowledgeable ones

We’re off up to the lakes next week. Staying not far out of Kendal.
    As my good lady is a newbee to this riding bikes lark, I’m looking for something to… ahem…. ease here in gently. So to speak

So no mahoosive climbs or mental downhills. I’m thinking about ten miles ish distance-wise. The more scenic, the better. Oh… and off the beaten track. I’m sure the lakes will be rammed in the usual hotspots next week. anything spring to mind?…

Cheers

sefton
    Free Member

grizdale way? plenty of fireroads if you need to bail

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Must have pub at the end and Binners WILL be driving 8)

Oh and cream teas I need a cream tea….

binners

Cream tea? CREAM TEA??!! BLOODY CREAM TEA!!!!! Have you seen the price of a cream teas?!! And in the lakes at Easter. I’m having palputaions just thinking about it

You can have the bloody Chardonnay and Cheesy Quavers that you usually have and be bloody grateful. Cream teas indeed? Pffft

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Grizedale is good, but it’s now £6 a day to park in the FC car parks. **** that.

Currently deciding on a route to take out a groups of noobs, and I’ll probably take them out round Kentmere. Reasons.

1. There’s not that many walkers/tourists round there, so less chance of a clash in the busy period.

2. There are hills, but nothing very technical, so they feel they will have really acheived something and had a good time, without feeling like you’ve dragged them through hell for the last few hours.

3. Lots of lovely views, and you can start and finish in Stavely with access to a bike shop, a cafe and a brewery.

Job done.

oh, and 4. It’ll be lovely and dry after all this sunny weather, rather than a bog fest.

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

Claife Heights is nice enough for the less experienced although parking in Bowness may be a challenge. Start with the ferry across the lake, ride along the lake shore, up to Base Camp and then down to Sawrey and onwards to the ferry.

You also don’t have to drive along the A591 to get there – the Crook Road (B5284) leads to the ferry. Obviously there are bars and cafe’s galore in Bowness but it’ll be rammo with tourists.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Nan Bield You will save on some cream teas for certain 😆

bagpuss72
    Free Member

*kicks curb* I’m not coming then…. *sulks* 😥

Bunnyhop

Having knowledge of both the riding skills of both binners and bagpuss, I think Kentmere is a bit too challenging 😉 Although some bits around Stavely would be good for Debs.

Hopefully crazylegs will be a long shortly. He took us on a great ride last year ending up down Grasmere into Ambleside.

Crazylegs where are you?

geoffj

Claife Heights +1. Depending on where you are staying, you could get the train to Windermere and then ride down to the ferry, do the loop and back into Windermere for some nosh. Booths cafe in Windermere do nice and affordable cream teas.

ampthill

+1 Claife heights

But start in say Bowness. Ride to chain ferry. Ride over/round Claife height. Road to Ambelside then ferry to Bowness

Lots of views and ground covered. Not so much pedalling

woodchip46
    Free Member

Another +1 for claife heights.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Any of the Bridleways south of Staveley are generally quiet with great views, exellent for an easy day,Theres some cracking trails around Winster, and its very dry up here at the moment..Wilfs in Stavely for cream teas.. 😉

crazy-legs

Hopefully crazylegs will be a long shortly. He took us on a great ride last year ending up down Grasmere into Ambleside.

Crazylegs where are you?

Hello!
    Yes, I took Bunnyhop, NBT and a couple of others out from near Ambleside. We parked HERE, it’s a very small (and free) car park but you need to get there EARLY or it’ll be rammed. And park somewhere you can get out of easily, selfish tossers will sometimes block you in.

Route went S down the road then turn R and up a steep tarmac climb, it turns to access road over Ivy Crag and drops to Loughrigg Tarn. Through Skelwith Bridge, up the long road climb past the Drunken Duck then Iron Keld, Arnside, Oxen Fell, Hodge Close Quarry, Little Langdale, Elterwater, High Close and finish on Loughrigg Terrace, it brings you out where you parked.

There’s a million variations on that route, it’s great in all weathers, it can be as technical/fast/hardcore as you want but it’s great for beginners cos you’re never too high, never too far from civilisation, never short of a bail-out option.

Only problem is it’s proximity to Ambleside and Loughrigg Terrace gets rammed with walkers. Either aim to finish as near dark as possible or do it VERY early. It’s a stunning descent, one of those ones that is easy for beginners at pootle pace but (if you properly rag it) very technical as well. Unfortunately, it’s difficult to rag it when it’s full of walkers…

woodchip46
    Free Member

I’ve remembered another easy going but good ride. Starts in Kendal.

http://www.mountain-bike-cumbria.co.uk/trails.php?id=gamblesmirelane

Should be great around now as the hedgerows shouldn’t be overgrown yet, also this dry period will make it good.

binners

Thanks very much folks. Claife Heights certainly seems popular. I’ll decide on the day according to traffic/packedness/amount oif red socks

Thanks again

lowey

You could try the fire road routes round Grizedale… they are waymarked and on the west side you have the opportunity to jump on some sections of the NFT.

Winster is nice too….

http://www.bogtrotters.org/route/showrouteframe2.php?route=285

Harry_the_Spider

Another vote for Grizedale.

£6 for parking is good value when you consider the extent of the facilities available IMHO. The purple waymarked route is ideal for a reasonable beginner’s trundle.

lowey

Or just park at Satterthwaite and cycle up top the VC.

The added bonus being the Eagles Head in Satterthwaite do a fine selection of real ales and food.

Personally I’m not struck on the new cafe at Grizedale. Like CyB its too commercial and overpriced. The girls who ran the old place used to make a wonderful tomato and herb soup!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a fairly leisurely lake district ride’ is closed to new replies.