• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by tang.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recommend me a do-it-all waterproof jacket.
  • Kunstler

It’s time to get myself a semi decent jacket and I want one that will do for everything: hillwalking, mtbing and daily commuting. It needs to okay in breathability.

I’m thinking of something that will pack down so just a shell type without lining as I can layer up underneath it. Budget – £120 ish.

I had a quick look around Go Outdoors yesterday. I was thinking of something along these lines maybe:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/berghaus-carrock-jacket-mens-waterproof-p189654

Kunstler

Blimey, there’s some differences in prices. Is goretex still superior to these coated alternatives?

The paclite jackets seem like they might not be durable. I guess it’s the usual weight trade off dilemma.

robbonzo
    Free Member

Im thinking about getting the Montane Minimus, it would suit your needs and is Pertex which is supposed to be tres excellent. Can be had for £110. Anyone got one?

Kunstler

Pertex must have changed a bit. I used to have a smock type pertex windproof but it was just that, definitely not waterproof. Mind you it was about 15 years ago that I bought it.

cinnamon_girl

Paclite, from my experience a good few years ago, is not durable and crashes have seen jacket needing repairs.

It may be different now, I don’t know.

hedml
    Free Member

Ive just bought a Montane Atomic from Go Outdoors (price match with OutdoorGB website to save about £15). Good arm length and drop tail for riding. I had to go one size up but fit seems really good. Its Pertex but fully waterproof.
    Not really worn it in the rain so far but reviews seem good.

hedml
    Free Member

Oh I looked at the minimus too. It pack down really small but consequently is really thin, may not stand up well to branches/daily commuting. Atomic is more like a ‘classic’ waterproof

honeybadgerx

OMM Kamleika smock. Light, packable, stretchy, tough, great fit for biking/running/etc. Doesn’t have any dangly sh*te special features other than zip up front, holes for limbs/head, and a hood drawcord. Can be got for ~£100.

beanum

I’ve got one of these, but in a less boring colour. The stretchy fabric works well and it’s very waterproof. I wear it a lot, not just in the hills but I’m not sure I’d recommend it 100% for cycling as it doesn’t have a dropped tail..
    Marmot

Rik
    Free Member

OMM Kamleika smock. Light, packable, stretchy, tough, great fit for biking/running/etc. Doesn’t have any dangly sh*te special features other than zip up front, holes for limbs/head, and a hood drawcord. Can be got for ~£100.

Lightly caught mine on a wild rose bush and put a 6 inch rip on the arm – first time I had worn it too. No issues ever with my 9 + year old paclite or event jackets.

BadlyWiredDog

Pertex must have changed a bit. I used to have a smock type pertex windproof but it was just that, definitely not waterproof. Mind you it was about 15 years ago that I bought it.

Pertex is a brand, not a fabric, so they produce the original windproof stuff in various forms and weights plus wind-resistant, high-wicking stuff called Pertex Equilibrium and Shield which is fully waterproof and what the likes of Montane and Rab are using for their cheaper waterproof shells.

tang
    Free Member

I got a rab event hooded jacket in the sale a couple of weeks ago for just over 100. Brilliant so far in the rain!
    http://www.rockrun.com/products/Rab-Momentum-Jacket.html

johnellison
    Free Member

Paramo Velez Lite. Shop around for a decent price. Not ultra packable, but still stuffs down into a fairly small space.

russianbob
    Free Member

I bought a Norrona Trollveggen Goretex Pro at the start of this year. Awesome bit of kit. Love it.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

TK Maxx had Berghaus Velum Active Shell for £90 last week

SOAP
    Free Member

Altura Attack 50% off at cyclestore
    £75 bargintastic.

z1ppy

Soap that does seem a bargain.

Kunstler

Trollveggen is a great name but but googling turned up a scary price – £499 for a jacket?

The thing that most of these jackets lack is a wire hood brim. Time to trawl around the outdoor shops again and see what some these jackets feel like.

tang
    Free Member

The rab I linked up there has a wired peak.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a do-it-all waterproof jacket.’ is closed to new replies.