Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Recommend an Author Thread
  • jamj1974

Yes, Gil Scott Heron the musician.

funkmasterp

Yes, Gil Scott Heron the musician

Adding to the list out of intrigue. Ashamed to say I gave up on Grapes of Wrath. Started really well and I loved the writing style, but it sort of petered out a bit in the middle and I lost interest. I’ll give some other Steinbeck novels a go though.

Garry_Lager

Jakester – Member

Coyote – Member
    Neil Gaiman – Enjoyed pretty much everything I’ve read of his
    Ben Aranovitch – Fantastic series
    China Mieville – Most of his stuff is awesome although I didn’t love Iron Council

Agreed, and interestingly the same views on Iron Council. Think Iron Council could have been excellent but there’s some fundamental structuring issues with the book. Reads like a first novel by a promising author, actually – great ideas and themes but not put together all that well. A bit odd given his actual early novels were written with consummate skill.

coomber
    Free Member

DezB – Member

Most people probably know about Chuck Palahnuik, but the short story book “Make Something Up” is just the funniest book I’ve ever read.

Struggled with some of his recent works, but his earlier stuff was superb. Survivor and Choke especially.

Jeff VanderMeer is my current favourite author. Souther Reach trilogy and Borne are all 10/10 books. Film for the former out in January directed by Alex Garland.

razorrazoo

Bernard Cornwell for historical fiction. Read about 4 of his series and a couple of the one offs. Very readable.
    I like some of his work (Warlord trilogy, Starbuck, early Sharpe) but some of the others leave me cold (Harlequin) or just go on too long (Uthred, Sharpe).

I enjoyed the early Uthred novels but feel he should have wrapped up the series in a maximum of five books.

razorrazoo which are your favourites?

I’re read all books in Grailquest, Warlord and Saxon Chronicles, plus The Fort, Agincourt, 1356 and about 5 of the Sharpe’s.

I’ve enjoyed them all, though the Sharpe ones became a little repetitive. I get your point on the Saxon chronicles being drawn out, however I do find the historical aspect interesting, and it has only recently reached its logical conclusion (though it appears that he won’t stop there). Will give the Starbuck series a go.

I’m currently on the Gotrek and Felix series by William King and am then going to do Gaunt’s Ghosts by Dan Abnett, both from the Black Library, now I can get them on kindle through amazon. I used to have them in paperback but have enjoyed re-reading them.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Recommend an Author Thread’ is closed to new replies.