Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Recommend a Square Taper BB…
  • JB
    Free Member

About to buy a Middleburn Uno for the new singlespeed… so what SQ Taper BBs are you using?
    Is it worth spending the money on something nice… or just keep buying the UN54s at £12 a shout???

ChrisHeath

I have a Phil Wood BB, which is 7 years old an on it's second set of bearings.

From Tim at http://www.sidewayscycles.co.uk/.

Whether or not you think the cost is justified is up to you though.

🙂

billyboy
    Free Member

I had a Royce work OK for five years on one bike before it developed play but my last one only lasted three years. I'm back on Shimano which I think are more like £20 a pop now and seem to last about three years with good fit and function. I did try one similarly priced other brand (blue logo…do pedals…can't remember name) and that was an overly tight fit. Was thinking of trying SKS!!! but haven't gotten around to it yet.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I've got a lovely UN54 in the box 5 quid + post.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I run MB's sq taper and really don't think spending ~£150 on a Phil or Royce is worth it (& I did buy a Phil a while back)

Here's a nice chap who has one for a fiver, which will last between 1 & 3 years

bonesetter
    Free Member

Hey JB, what condition is your UN54? I'm interested

joolsburger
    Free Member

It is new 73 / 110 bought it but didn't need it as went for HTII in the end.

martyntr
    Free Member

UN54 all the way…. mines nearly a year old and has been ace all winter and throughout the enduro season last year…

JB
    Free Member

Anyone got any experience of the White Industries SqBB, looks like simplicity itself if a bit unprotected from the elements!

timbur
    Free Member

JB – I've got a brand new 68×113 WI BB on my desk at present. Bought the wrong size form the states. Yours for £50 posted.
    Tim

JB
    Free Member

Tim… eek that's tempting… will have to check that it'll fit!
    I'll email you!
    Cheers
    JB

clubber
    Free Member

I'm looking for the same and I'm really coming for the conclusion that with the demise of UN7x BBs, UN54s are the best option – the more expensive ones are nice but not significantly lighter (assuming steel axle which I want) and the cost just doesn't really pay itself back when you consider that the UN54s last at least a couple of years, generally more, and replacement bearings for the posh BBs are either expensive, hard to obtain or both.

timbur
    Free Member

clubber – ygm again. I've been back to the shed :O)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a Square Taper BB…’ is closed to new replies.