Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Recommend a compact camera
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Looking for a good quality compact when out on my mtb. Currently have a Panasonic Lumix xs3 and a DSLR but decided to keep the dslr for indoor stuff and specific things like aviation etc.

Now the xs3 is OK in good light but hideous for anything else. Noise starts to become very noticible at iso 400.

So looking for a better compact,preferably new.

Canon S120
    Sx610

Any others to look at. Would love a Sony Rx100 but max budget £200

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Worth looking for an Olympus Tough, I’d say. Maybe a fraction over budget, but for use on the bike, they’re excellent. Pretty much bombproof, and as an added bonus, have some really clever features to make them easier to use with gloves on (Tap control).

tillydog
    Free Member

The original RX100s are down to about £250, and (IMHO) blow the S120 out of the water for image quality (I looked at both).

IMHO: go without beer for a month / put the kids on bread and water and get an RX100(*).

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

* – Yes, I have one 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Research I did suggested RX100 a good step above S120. I couldn’t afford either and got a S90 sh for £60.

CraigW
    Free Member

You can get a Panasonic Lumix GM1 for £250. Should be decent image quality, and not too big with the kit lens.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I’d love a RX100 or panasonic gm but my DSLR wasn’t much more than £250.
    Not looking for dslr results but something better than a phone and better than a Panasonic lumix xs3 in lower light.
    Also needs fit in my bike jacket pocket.

BillMC

I bought an RX100 to replace a Lumix after reading a similar thread. The Sony is amazing on every front and goes nicely into your pocket.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Will join the choir for the RX100 , I rate mine here on image quality and compact size. if only it was nice to use – the silky finish, ergonomics and interface make it feel small, slippery and fiddly. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a solid piece of kit but just feels ‘wrong’ for me. I was going to sell and buy a compact prime, but eventually decided the Sony’s handy size and stunning IQ was worth so much more to me than <£200. It is tiny and takes the best pics in its class. Dynamic range actually surprised me considerably. Low light performance is very good too

Sell yr gs3 if yr short on budget?

Or go and pocket a Lumix TZ55 (currently a ridiculously cheap price, £100 if I remember), a nice case, and enjoy lots of pints with the change. You’ll need these to drown yr sorrows re that huge super-zoom lump in your pocket which is now just a reminder that you should have bought the RX100 😀

But seriously, the TZ55 does look like a steal to me, might want to check the iso400 performance in reviews.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Xs3 not gs3 it’s a small pocket cam. I do like the RX100.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Fuji X30, or Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark II

tillydog
    Free Member

RX100 … if only it was nice to use – the silky finish, ergonomics and interface make it feel small, slippery and fiddly. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a solid piece of kit but just feels ‘wrong’ for me.

A ‘Franiec’ grip transformed the ergonomics for me – it’s now easy to use one handed, and doesn’t feel like you’re about to drop it all the time (it looks like it’s part of the camera, too, rather than an add-on).

(Managed to find a 2nd hand one on ebay).

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

Ah the lumix. A beautiful piece of kit and reassuringly expensive .

DrJ

And another RX100 vote. I have the mk1 and as others have said the image quality is great if the interface it’s a bit fiddly. If I dropped it off a cliff tomorrow I’d replace it immediately!

rs
    Free Member

I have the S120, primarily for biking, haven’t been too satisfied with anything i’ve taken in the trees yet. I wish I had bought the RX100…

trademark
    Free Member

I am looking to replace my ageing compact and spotted this but never heard of this company. Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 for £210 delivered

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

sony are doing double cashback now so you can get £60 off a rx100 at johnlewis £279 with 2yr warranty.. am very very tempted:)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a compact camera’ is closed to new replies.