Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Recommend a cheapish 8" tablet?
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

Looking for a new tablet, budget less than £150.

Any recommendations?

Cougar

Nvidia Shield, if you can spare another £20.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Looks good. Ordered.

Ta.

Cougar

That was quick (-:

I really like mine, it’s rapid (insanely so compared to the 2012 Nexus 7 it replaced). The official cover’s quite nice too.

gobuchul
    Free Member

That was quick (-:

A quick Google to read a few reviews, seems very well liked.

On to Amazon, ordered, delivered tomorrow. 🙂

You can send yourself mad looking at specs and comparing stuff, I used to spend hours comparing and checking, to save a couple of quid. Stopped that and tend to pull the trigger early and use the Evil Amazon as their returns policy is so good. Not like Ebuyer who won’t get my business again……

gobuchul
    Free Member

Cougar – Strange issue with the Nvidia. I have tried googling it but I can’t find a solution?

When I connect it to a Windows PC, it shows up but when I click on it, it doesn’t show any folders or files?

Now I had an Android phone and you had to change the USB mode but I can’t find that setting either?

Any clues?

jamiep
    Free Member

simple question, is the phone on/awake/unlocked? If not, you will get the behaviour you describe

gobuchul
    Free Member

It’s awake and unlocked.

Cougar

Drivers?

IIRC it appears as an MTP device rather than mass storage. I don’t think I’ve actually tried doing it myself! I can try it later and have a look.

Cougar

Ok, there’s a driver here:

https://developer.nvidia.com/gameworksdownload#?search=SHIELD%20Family%20Windows%20USB

You shouldn’t need this I don’t think, it’s for developers and enables extra functionality, but it can’t hurt to try it.

Cougar

I had an Android phone and you had to change the USB mode but I can’t find that setting either?

On every Android device I’ve ever connected to a PC, you can get at this by swiping down the top menu bar. Dunno about the Shield off the top of my head but can’t imagine it being much different.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Thanks for all the help.

This is what I see when I plug it in.

[/url] post image online[/img]

When I click on the properties this is what I see.

Thanks for the driver link, but when I tried to update the driver it won’t let me and says that the best driver is aready installed.

On every Android device I’ve ever connected to a PC, you can get at this by swiping down the top menu bar.

Same here but not with this one.

Cougar

when I tried to update the driver it won’t let me and says that the best driver is aready installed.

Is the tablet connected? Unplug it first.

Cougar

Right, I’ve just tried it.

Plugged in and the device appears but no files, as you say. On the tablet, in the drop-down menu at the top, I have an item “Android System: USB for charging.” Selecting that gives me a choice of four options including “Transfer files.” Hit that and refresh the Explorer view and the storage appears.

That said, it only shows “Sandisk SD card.” I have an SD in it which I told it to use as an extension of internal storage. Whether this has any bearing on anything I’m not sure.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Brilliant.

That’s it sorted.

Calibre transfers working now as well.

Thank you!

Cougar

\o/

zippykona

Can you STW zoom on one of these tablets?
    I’m not a gamer is it a good replacement for an iPad mini?

gobuchul
    Free Member

You can’t zoom in Chrome on STW.

I have no idea what an iPad mini is like so can’t help you there.

nickjb
    Free Member

You can’t zoom in Chrome on STW.

I can on my tablet. Can’t on my phone so no simple conclusion.

Cougar

Mobile vs desktop site there, perhaps?

nickjb
    Free Member

Didn’t think there was a difference these days. The request desktop option does nothing. Not a big deal. I’ve pretty much stopped browsing the site on my phone since the update.

zippykona

Is there an android tablet that has the same size screen as an iPad mini?
    I find my old nexus too slim.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a cheapish 8" tablet?’ is closed to new replies.