Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Recomend me a route – Yorkshire Dales (1hr max drive from Bradford)
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Hopefully got a half day pass this weekend to get out out on the bike.

I could head up to Gisburn, but its a bit unpleasently busy at the weekends.

So what 20 or so mile ride would you recommend within about 1hrs drive of North Bradford (Baildon)

Ta

Simon

Only Dales route I’ve done and enjoyed is the Scarhouse loop. So I’d recommend that.
    Info and map, but we start/finish at Ramsgill.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ta Simon, done that one quite a lot over the years, I guess its a possibility again.

mrjmt
    Free Member

How about mastilles lane?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“How about mastilles lane?”

There is a route that I know that starts on Mastilles and then turns left up through fields to a road and then rejoins this route

http://www.mtbdales.com/dales_route_guides.php?catid=7

but its not very long, and just a ride through fields really… good decent through the fields though on the way back down. Is there any way it can be extended with some more fun stuff?

Am I expecting too much of the Dales? Whenever people post about riding in the Dales I tend to say that its a bit dull, but maybe thats because I have ridden here for many years ?!?

ianv
    Free Member

The dales will be sopping now, I can’t think of anything that would be much fun. Calderdale might be a better bet and probably closer to baildon.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Sorry, I realise that wasn’t particularly useful.

Start in Kilnsey, head up mastilles lane, then take the right hand track at the end, seen here (I hope that works).
    Thats a nice trail, bit of grassy climbing but some nice riding after that. Follow it all the way to Hawkswick and back on the road to Kilnsey.
    May be a bit shorter than 20 miles though.

Other option is Barden Moor, not sure how far from you that is though, park up in Embsay, then head out up this road, to the top of the hill, turn right onto this bridleway down to Bolton Abbey for an ice cream, then along the road to go back up the hill on this green lane to the go over the top of the moor on this bridleway, there’s a nice decent at the end, then back on the road to Embsay.

Hope thats a bit more helpful! (the barden route is the better of the two, but I think its a bit further away from you)

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Funk_Dunk have you done the Addingham – skipton – Hetton -Barden Moor -Bolton Abbey loop? similar to mentioned above^

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Yes 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The dales will be sopping now, I can’t think of anything that would be much fun.

Not nessercelery, the Northern Dales, ie Swaledale, drain really well & are usually ‘puddly’ rather than ‘boggy’ It’s where we head after a wet spell.
    Probly a bit far for the OP’s requirement in this case though.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

There’s a reasonably varied route that starts at Hebden (nr Grassington) and heads north, then west onto Threshfield Moor and back from the south via various lanes/BWs. Can’t recall the detail tho, that guy who used to own a MTB pub and was in all the mags occasionally John Pitchers? recommended it.

Staveley, South Lakes (wheelbase) or that classic Reeth route (The Edge) are both less than 1hr 30m away!

chestrockwell

How about the Settle/Malham loop? Or head over to Lee/Crag Quary if the weather’s naughty?

Sancho
    Free Member

One of the best routes Ive done in the Dales is from Bolton Abbey up on the road to Addingham moorside then across to Skipton, out on the road past the college then over to Hetton via the pointy hill near Cragg wood, (Awesome descent) then back on to Embsay Moor by that steep climb with the gate near the top (quite an effort to do without stopping) then across the moor and back to Bolton Abbey.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Sancho, sit at the front of the class for not paying attention.

chestrockwell

That route is best if you miss Bolton Abbey / Addingham out all together. From the top of Barden moor (where the fire road meets the tarmac road) go straight across and head down to Halton East. Lovely little downhill is that. Then cross to Draughton and meet the Addingham/Skipton route at Draughton Top.

grum
    Free Member

Anyone have a gpx or online map for either of those Bolton Abbey routes? I’m too lazy to work it out on a map 🙂

allthegear
    Free Member

Start in Halton Gill.
    Go North over Horsehead Pass and down towards Hubbeholme road.
    Turn West up Langstrothhdale (sp?) in the direction of Beckermonds and upwards through the forest to Horton in Ribblesdale.
    Pint mug of tea in Horton and then up from there to Hull Pot and up and over back to Halton Gill.

One of my favourite rides.

Rachel

allthegear
    Free Member

Dinner in the Queen’s Arms in Litton is to be recommended…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Bridleway off Barden Moor

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

What grum said – could someone ping me a gpx or something scribbled on a map of that Bolton Abbey route? Read so many good things about Embsay Moor over the years and never done it… which I’m hoping to change in the next few weeks.

Even better – anyone want to lead a ride around there mid March?

MRanger156
    Free Member

B.A.Nana – do you have a route/gpx that includes that bridleway please?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Bridleway off Barden Moor”

Wouldn’t fancy riding a horse down that 😯

I’ve done a ride that comes over from Cracoe, Barden Moor, to Bolton Abbey, but cant work out what you all mean with your route descriptions. In fact I’m struggling to work out where that pic was taken…

glenh
    Free Member

In fact I’m struggling to work out where that pic was taken…

Embsay Crag?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ok so that would be here

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=400550&y=455145&z=120&sv=400550,455145&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=808&ax=400550&ay=455145&lm=0

That BW goes no where though according to the map, or is there cheeky stuff to take you up on to the moor?

bonj
    Free Member

Wouldn’t fancy riding a horse down that

You’d be surprised.

Apparently there is a massive underestimation among non-equestrians about what you can and can’t get a horse down.

Think it was a radio program where a horse woman was saying how it annoys here how people perceive that you can’t take a horse on anything more technical than a tow path. Probably the equivalent of people who baulk at what we would quite happily ride a bike down, but that they would consider impossible.
    Guess it probably also depends on the horse, and rider – just as mtbing so much depends on bike, and rider.

glenh
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member
    Ok so that would be here

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=400550&y=455145&z=120&sv=400550,455145&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=808&ax=400550&ay=455145&lm=0

That BW goes no where though according to the map, or is there cheeky stuff to take you up on to the moor?

?? The BW goes straight through the middle of the crag.

martinhutch

The pic isn’t the usual line down from Embsay Crag,even though it’s the correct line of the BW. It’s pretty accepted that riders can come down an adjacent path that meets the official BW a bit lower down, and is a really good fast singletrack descent, rather than just a headlong plunge.

You can tag this descent onto the standard Barden Moor route, either by being a bit cheeky and heading south from the fingerpost at the high point of the Rylstone to Halton Heights BW, or by following the road from Halton Heights back down to just before Embsay where another BW climbs back up.

I’ll see if I can dig out a map of the full loop of the Skipton, Sharp Haw, Hetton, Rylstone, Bolton Abbey, Addingham, Skipton route – about 28 miles or so.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The BW goes from Embsay Kirk to Embsay Resevoir which looks to be no distance at all. If you stick to that BW your ride will be over before its started…

martinhutch

Here’s a version of the standard Barden route.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/69986040

It starts and ends at my house, but apart from that covers it pretty well. The BW over Sharp Haw takes a slightly different (and horribly boggy) line, this follows good track all the way, but is a touch cheeky. A further really good descent goes direct from the summit of Sharp Haw to meet this route in the woods.

Gribs

It’s just a little spur that doesn’t really go anywhere though were it turns right to head towards Eastby there’s a cheeky track that takes you up to the bridleway across the moor. The track that links the main bridleway to Embsay Res is good fun to though it’s much better in the summer when the bracken is growing. There’s some fun bits on the tracks to the north near Simm Bottom but again you’re not supposed to ride there.

grum
    Free Member

Thanks for the info folks – martin I don’t seem to be able to see that route without adding you as a friend so I’ve just sent you a request.

martinhutch

I’ve approved that grum, and am trying to make it public, not sure if it’s worked though.

Here’s the descent off Embsay Crag BTW – the easier angled one!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzvnV8MIsZE[/video]

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Martin – Thats worked you can see it, looks a good route!

Will have to see if there is some way I can copy it in to Endomondo

martinhutch

Looks like you can export a gps file, never tried it though.

PS The Cavendish Pavilion tearoom at Bolton Abbey – the little detour you see – is closed until end of March. I was looking forward to scones etc and pretty disappointed…

grum
    Free Member

Cheers martin, looks like fun!

martinhutch

You have to adapt the route if you fancy adding Embsay Crag descent on, by doubling back here down the road after the long descent off the top of Barden Moor.

grum
    Free Member

OK sorry if this is a light hijack but can anyone recommend me a shorter route starting from near Bolton Abbey mebbe including that descent? I’m staying at the Devonshire Arms in a few weeks but probably won’t have much time (or be fit enough 🙂 ) to do 28 miles.

And yes I would also like the moon on a stick please.

Gribs

If cheeky is ok do this.

martinhutch

Devonshire Arms eh? I hope you’re arriving via your private helicopter…

If you want to start and finish there, then gribs’ route is probably the best way of doing it. The BW up from Halton East is a bit of a filthy bog at the moment.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

For Embsay Crag, Gribs route is the sort of thing I’d do.
    There is also a good techy singletrack descent route that heads down to Crookrise Crags Top then to Embsay res. (just off left on the map above). It comes off the Barden Moor BW at the 2nd? gate if you’re coming up from Rylstone. There’s a bit of a push at one point, but worth it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Recomend me a route – Yorkshire Dales (1hr max drive from Bradford)’ is closed to new replies.