Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Receiving payment from a European buyers
  • dallas95
    Free Member

I have a pending sale for a frame to someone in Holland. They want to pay into my bank account using their credit card. Is that secure for me or can they recover the funds once I ship the frame and scam me?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Direct bank transfer wouldn’t be reversible I believe. If they pay from their bank to yours, and they can do it in Sterling, then should be no worries and no cost to you.

Credit card on the other hand could be reversed. That said I don’t think you’d be able to receive a credit card payment. Some cards may offer a money transfer service (Barclaycard do), but these have to be to an account in your name. Unless it’s different in Holland. They’d likely be paying fees though, and an exchange rate fee, or you will.

As much as I dislike PayPal, could they not pay via that. They may not need an account if you do a money request to them. Watch out for high PayPal exchange fees though. If they pay in Sterling it will be okay, or if you receive in whatever their currency is (Euros I guess) you’ll end up with a Euros balance so long as you request in Euros. Does mean you’ll be hit with exchange fees if you want to convert it, or on the other hand you can use the Euro balance for other transactions.

Another is Paym/Pingit services banks provide. Not sure if they work with foreign transactions though and even so may be exchange fees involved if not in Sterling. Similar to PayPal, just send a request for money. Or they can use such a service at their end and send money to your mobile number and you cash in the money via a link sent by text.

dallas95
    Free Member

Thanks DK. I think I will see if he can arrange a bank transfer rather than card payment. As you say if he has to use his card paypal will be easiest. The other options seem too complicated. I want the sale but only if I know the payment will stick.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Tell them to use Transferwise.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Receiving payment from a European buyers’ is closed to new replies.