Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Receeding gums
  • Caher

Last night when brushing I noticed the gums on my lower jaw were receeding. I blame the pneumatic drill with a brush I use. Any suggestions for a home remedy for regrowth or will I have visit the Dentist.

Harry_the_Spider

Welcome to middle age!

#LongInTheTooth

Yak

There’s no growing back. Trust you are well over 40…..

alexxx
    Free Member

Dont think you can! I’ve got a tooth that seems to have a fairly low gum on it compared to others – basically I brush super hard without noticing and I probably don’t brush as often as I should at times… think you just need to look after your teeth more with what you’ve got left!

spot
    Free Member

Forget about regrowing
    Softer brush and mild mannered brushing

footflaps

Mine are terrible, duff gums inherited from my Mother…

Best you can do it take care of them, I see the Hygienist every 6 months and use a Sonicare tooth brush, which is pretty gentle.

zeesaffa
    Free Member

Yep, I’m 36 and noticed the same with one of my front upper teeth!
    Dentists said not much I can do except brush that tooth / gum in a downward motion and make sure I use a soft brush.
    Thing is I like the hard bristle because they feel more effective.
    Anyway…

oldnpastit

My dentist told me it’s the effect of gum disease.

Not much you can do about it, but preventing gum disease stops it getting worse.

Remember, you only need to floss the teeth you want to keep….

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Like others have said, receeding gums won’t grow back. Main causes are poor dental hygiene or over-enthusiastic brushing. To prevent more recession you need address the cause, but it is very common as we get older so don’t panic!

granny_ring

Jesus, how do you link a pic off google….clicked IMG and pasted link and took out the gap but still a load of jibberish.

ceepers

Best to get professional advice.

Gum recession and gum disease are two different things and you need to know which you have.

Recession is not too worrying – it won’t cause you to lose teeth, it does look a bit unsightly and can make your teeth sensitive although sensitive toothpaste works to help this. A certain amount of recession is normal with age but over aggressive brushing makes it worse and stopping this is important to stop it progressing. The gums won’t grow back. It is possible to get gum grafted to cover it from somewhere else but it’s not a fun surgery.

Gum disease is bad news and will lead to multiple tooth loss without treatment. A dentist will help you treat it but basically y need excellent dental hygiene and regular scaling by a hygienist to halt its progression

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Receeding gums’ is closed to new replies.