Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rear wheel build decision – hand holding content
  • nedrapier

45mm internal 29er rim. Novatec hub. DT comp spokes, but 28h.

On a nearly hard tail. I’m 72kg. Don’t break stuff. Bike might occasionally see some hard riding on big rocky stuff, and maybe some 1/2 night bike backing, but mainly unladen surrey hills singletrack.

28h might not give me as much leeway if a spoke breaks, but basically it should be fine, right? stiffness shouldn’t be an issue with the width of the rim.

nedrapier

No-one wants to hold my hand. 😥

Pfff, for £100 plus spokes, it’s not a massive outlay.

martinhutch

I’m 72kg and a mincer. Not sure i’d go for a 28h rear though.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I always go 32h 3 cross j-bend so I can sort spares at short notice if needed. Having said that, with the variety of wheels out there now, I guess this might no longer apply.

nedrapier

Not a bad plan. I would always do that givent eh choice. I’m just looking at special offers! Still J bend htough.

Looking at the Easton Heists, they’re marketed as rufty-tufty and reviewed and tested harder than I’m likely to, and they’re all 28h.

Probably be fine!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Why does a little alarm bell go off in my head when you mention the Heists? Something about bearing issues I think, not sure, never had any myself.

nedrapier

mebbe, but won’t be getting the wheelset, just the arc rim that they used for them.

slowster
    Free Member

won’t be getting the wheelset, just the arc rim

Why not buy the 32 hole version? Just one in stock at CRC, so don’t take too long to think about it. Buy a 28 hole for the front and get £10 off using the CLEAR2017 code.

akira

4 spokes is not something to worry about, if you ever need to replace the rim there are a lot more 32h options though.

nedrapier

done, cheers slowster, hadn’t seen that last time I was on!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rear wheel build decision – hand holding content’ is closed to new replies.