Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Rear tyre Spesh Purg or ground control or ??????
  • SOAP
    Free Member

Currently running a 2.3 Purg and it’s a little bit spiny in the wet stuff.
    What you got on the back?

tomkerton
    Free Member

I’ve just put a purg on! Swapped out a Firefox XC pro so I’m finding the purg grippy and good at clearing the mud!

tony24
    Free Member

I run a 2.1 ground control on the rear of both my bikes best all round tyre I have used.

mboy
    Free Member

Ground Control is more spinny in the wet stuff than the Purgtory, as that’s what I just swapped from and to. Ground Control is ace rear tyre for XC from about March til October, but knobs aren’t deep enough to bite in the mud. I find the Purgatory better, but draggier. True, the Purgatory spins more than a proper mud tyre would, but then it also rolls faster than a mud tyre, and grips everywhere else significantly better than a proper mud tyre.

If your local trails are inches deep of the brown stuff though, and you’ve got to wait til spring for any firm ground, then might be time to invest in some proper mud tyres.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Gets pretty muddy around here. I use Purgatorys throughout the winter and leave the front on all summer.

Gets me through the deep black mud and slippery roots with no problems.

colournoise

Local trails here are mud fests between October and May.

For full-on gloop I have Trailrakers front and rear on one bike. On the other bike I have a Purgatory up front and a Storm on the rear for more mixed trail conditions. If it dries up any then the Storm gets swapped back out for either another Purgatory or a Captain (if it gets proper dry). Like Scott above the Purgatory stays on the front all year round.

Northwind

Purgatory’s a good spiky tyre but not the softest of compounds.

If you want proper mud voodoo, get a conti baron (black chili version), they’re stupidly expensive but the mud/wet stuff grip is just silly, and they work better on hard stuff than any other mud tyre I’ve used- doesn’t have the compromises that make most mud tyres rubbish.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Rear tyre Spesh Purg or ground control or ??????’ is closed to new replies.