Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Rear mudguards, droppy seat posts and rear lights… making it all fit!
  • wurzelcube
    Free Member

I’ve got a droppy seatpost and a cycraguard rear mudguard on my full sus MTB; I’m adding into the mix a rear light that attaches to the seat post (I live an exciting life!!) and am stuggling to get the mudguard and light to sit nicely together.

There is only about 1.5 inches of available seat post above the QR clamp (I don’t want to attach anything to the moving part of the post)and am struggling to get the light and mudguard attached so that the rear light is not obscured by the hump in the mudguard.

I’m wondering if a different mudguard would help – am I the only one to struggle with what should be an easy thing to sort out?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I use a decathlon rockrider guard designed for canti bosses held on with p-clips. Guard sits closer to the wheel and works better (also works on full sus)

greeble
    Free Member

mount the light at the top of the seatpost just below the saddle clamp?

kevj
    Free Member

Mount the light on your backpack so it can be seen easier in traffic.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Saddlebag with a light loop on it? Added bonus it means tube/pads/chain etc are always the right one for that bike. Downside it looks a bit suspect, just needs POC or 661 to release one marketed as an enduro trailside spares sotrage system to make it cool.

igm

You can get lights that mount to the saddle rails I think.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’ve bought one of the Zefal guards that attaches to your seat stays for this reason (especially as on an FS even if you have enough of the fixed part of the dropper post showing it will probably be too low down so the tyre will hit the guard at the top of it’s travel). I’ve not actually gotten around to fitting it yet (the instructions confused me :p ) but was a post on here last week with some people that had fitted them.

NigE5
    Free Member

Topeak defender rear mud guard clamps to the lower portion of my Reverb, the bit that sticks out of the frame, and then a small but bright cateye rear light.
    This depends on how much non drop section that’s available on any one frame.
    Lights on a back pack tend to get lost in the folds of the pack I find.

workhard
    Free Member

mudguard (a crud) on the seat tube below the clamp
    light on the bit of seat post showing above the clamp

works for me anyway. ymmv.

singlespeedstu

Exposure Flare light with a seatrail clamp FTW.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Knog light on the seatstays?Works fir me

gonzy
    Free Member

i presume that the rear light has a band of some sort that goes around the seat post…if so you could try to attach the light to the top of the brace that attaches the mudguard seatpost clamp to the guard itself. you’ll probably need something thick enough like an old piece of grip to use as a sort of shim to ensure the light clamp is secure to the brace.
    once you’ve done this you should be able to adjust the angle of the rear light but again this will depend on the type of rear light you have…
    failing this the other option is the drill a couple of holes to the highest point of the mudguard and zip tie the light to the top of the mudguard.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Rear mudguards, droppy seat posts and rear lights… making it all fit!’ is closed to new replies.