Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rear bike light, for saddle or frame
  • Cowman

I’m looking to get a new rear light for my bike. I don’t want to spend too much.

I’ve got a reverb on so don’t want it on my seat post, as I’d normally do.

I use a saddle bag to keep my spares in. A small ortleib bag.

I’m looking for suggestions for a light to fit the frame or saddle itself.

I have fibre lights on my road bike, and really like them but don’t think they’ll stand up to mountain bike use.

Ta.

benp1

Smart r2 with a cable tie round the clip so it can’t pop out

deadkenny
    Free Member

I use a Moon Crescent rear and the rubber mount wraps around the collar of my Reverb, angled up to point in the direction of a car.

I only use it for road sections which are not many. Bright enough for my needs and run time is fine for the periods I use it for. Easy to reach big button to turn on and off. USB chargeable.

Tough and hasn’t fallen off.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Wilko do a Smart R2 lookalike that is amazing. I have both and can’t decide which is best but the Wilco one just under a fiver. I agree with the cable tie to lock it on. If you get it tensioned right you can just slide the cable tie off but it will never come undone riding.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Why not mount on your helmet?
    Higher up and more visible..

m1kea
    Free Member

cloudnine
    Why not mount on your helmet?
    Higher up and more visible..

I personally not a fan of that as head movement will affect it’s visibility. I also believe lights have to be fitted to the bike to be ‘legal’ (and yes I know this is a can of worms but I’m sure you get my drift)

Cowman

Thanks for the advice, I don’t want to mount on my helmet as I have an old hope 2 on it that I really find it helpful pointing forwards. Don’t want too much on the helmet then.

Cheers again

deadkenny
    Free Member

Helmet light only on the front and for your use only to see where you’re looking off road, but I turn it off on the road else easy to dazzle drivers when you look at them. Off road accompany with a bar light anyway, though helmet light is the more essential one off road and reverse on road.

Rear always fixed. Nothing worse for a driver (and the cyclist) than to have a cyclist become invisible because they turned their head.

hammyuk
    Free Member

I have half a dozen of PX’s R2 version.
    Mental bright, several programs and a few £ each.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIPHBPDRL/phaart-bleep-dual-05-watt-led-rear-light

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Exposure Flare and a Moon Comet work for me.
    Flare is set to pulse. I find this better than flashing as the light is on constantly, rather than on and off. Drivers have commented on how they notice it more.

I usually buy a few of Aldi’s little flashing lights, with the elastic band attachment, for my helmet in winter. Lets high level drivers see you better.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rear bike light, for saddle or frame’ is closed to new replies.