Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Re waterproofing a gortex jacket.
  • paulwebster
    Free Member

Looking for help in the best way to achieve getting an old Gore Gor-tex jacket waterproof again. I got a free sachet of nik wax a while back. Instructions stated to pore into the draw used for detergent. The stuff just disappeared and it didn’t work. Plan would be to hand wash in a bowl if that would work.
    Cheers Paul.

rondo101
    Free Member

Wash with Nik Wax tech wash, then re-proof with Nikwax TX Direct. I got a ball to put in the drum with clothes, rather than using the detergent drawer.

You need to make sure the washing machine is free from normal detergent before doing it too. A blast on empty at 90 degrees will usually clean it out.

vickypea
    Free Member

I’ve used nikwax with mediocre results, but one of my friends reckons that using double the suggested amount works.

crazy-legs

Nikwax is good stuff.

Clean out the washing machine first on whatever high temp cleaning cycle it has.
    Put the garment(s) in there, wash with Tech Wash first then go straight onto the TX Direct. Give it a low tumble dry or a cool iron to activate the waterproofing.

Spin
    Free Member

Rondo101 tells you what you need to know. However, don’t expect miracles, there comes a point when you just have to let go.

paulwebster
    Free Member

Cheers guys. What about the nikwax tx spray seems like worth a punt around £8.

mooman
    Free Member

I put mine into a bucket rather than the washing machine.
    Def works that way – even hands bead water for rest of day.

mooman
    Free Member

Ps.
    eBay best price nikwax I recently found.

rhayter

Tumble-drying your jacket after you’ve used TX Direct activates the proofing really well.

jools182
    Free Member

Reproofing lasts about 10 minutes

I find grangers seems to last a bit longer

about 12 minutes

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

You probably won’t believe this but I would recommend Juice Lubes Frame juice. !!! YES Frame juice! I had the same problem with an old ( that’s over 10 year old) goretex jacket. (north face celestial peak from 1990’s)

I tried the whole nik wax thing but with very limited results (beading would stop within about a week of using it again) I was then recommended Fabsil by my local outdoor shop.

Little bit of research showed that “Fabsil” was actually the same stuff as Juice Lubes FrameJuice. Just sprayed it onto a clean jacket and waterproofing has been restored!

Best bit is that I know someone, who knows someone and I can get frame juice at trade price. Reproofing a jacket now costs pennies!

Cheapest supplier for fabsil is. Screwfix. Hope this helps.

paulwebster
    Free Member

Fabsil looks the business. Will look at that if the nikwax is no good. Might even give me old tin of Barbour wax a light spread. Works on me old shimano mw80 gortex boots.

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

apologies if I’m telling you something you already know but Gore-Tex is a membrane that is built into the garment. When you buy a Gore-Tex garment it also has a surface treatment on to help water bead off which helps to maintain a humidity differential across the fabric to allow for breatheability.

If your item is not waterproof, then it is because the Gore-Tex membrane has failed. You can use treatments as discussed above but they are only surface treatments and won’t restore your item to the waterproofness it had when you bought it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Re waterproofing a gortex jacket.’ is closed to new replies.