Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Re-rimming mavic straight pull factory hubs?
  • cookeaa

I have a pair of old 26″ mavic crossland disc wheels with straight pull spokes which still roll nicely but 26″ is dead now and I could do with some 622 rimmed disc wheels…

I already have a superstar elite 24 rim I picked up on special last year planning to build up for my road bike but now I have the notion of rebuilding the crossland hubs for standby use on my CX bike. Maybe getting something deeper section for the front and bunging the elite on the rear…

I know the wheels are currently built with 270mm spokes and the difference in ERD is ~35mm (radially) the question is will I get a sensible answer from the DT spoke calculator if I measure and I plug in the numbers?

I haven’t built with straight pull spokes before and I normally use the old Damon Rinard spreadsheet for calculating J-bent spokes so this is alien territory for me…

Anyone else re-rimmed mavic factory hubs before?

ninfan
    Free Member

Jesus, they’re crosslands, entry level – hubs are nothing special so you’re spending more time and effort than they are worth (the spokes will probably cost you more than the wheel is worth)

dovebiker

IME Biggest problem is working out the hub dimensions and finding straight-pull spokes of the right length

cookeaa

Jesus, they’re crosslands, entry level – hubs are nothing special so you’re spending more time and effort than they are worth (the spokes will probably cost you more than the wheel is worth)

Yep The wheels are worthless, but the hub’s are still good to go I already have one rim so I simply have to find a second and buy 48 spokes, Plus I like a tinker. This wouldn’t be a “value driven” exercise…

IME Biggest problem is working out the hub dimensions and finding straight-pull spokes of the right length

This is my main issue, DT’s site has a “straight pull calculator” but it’s probably for radial type spoke drillings, these mavics use an offset slot to achieve a 2X pattern… I can unlace the hub’s and measure them up myself

I could possibly fudge the numbers in spocalc treating the hub’s like a normal J-bent flanged hubs but it’s potentially a bit inaccurate…

beaker

I wouldn’t bother. The hub flange will fail eventually. I have a pair of crosslands sat in the garage that I don’t use. The rear is fine but the front hub is a write off as the flange failed and cracked.

cookeaa

So much for the spirit of adventure… 🙄

Building a slightly odd hub goes straight in the “too hard” pile for everyone does it?

johnners
    Free Member

26″ is dead now

Noted.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Forget spoke calc and measure the erds.

benpinnick

I say do it! Simple way would be just to calc off the old rim vs new against an SP DT hub of the right spoke count on the calc, and add the difference to the 270 you already have.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Re-rimming mavic straight pull factory hubs?’ is closed to new replies.