Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • RC Cars again
  • wrecker
    Free Member

Any fans about?
    I’d like a bit of advice in that I’m looking for an RC car but for tinkering as much as using. Wreckerjnr is only 2 so he’s not going to be bothered for a while.
    I’d like something proper that I can build which doesn’t cost a fortune (so a gelande land rover is not an option!).
    Something capable of ragging around a muddy field. If it’s possible to have something that I can make slower?
    Build wise, suitable for someone who is electrically and mechanically competent.
    Axial?

titusrider
    Free Member

I’ve been getting into it recently. Got a second hand tamiya xv-01 rally car.

It’s great fun to rag round, perhaps not ideal for a muddy field but perfect for a walk in the woods or a gravel car park. Plus it looks and acts more like a scale car which is what I wanted. Great quality kit and fun to tinker with. Slightly frustrating to have to completely disassemble and clean after each run when the bearing seize up!

Starting to feel the the need for more power soon, but a sealed bearing kit is first on the list!

stumpy01

I have just bought myself a Tamiya Neo Fighter. I got it from Fusion Hobbies.
    Cost including a fast charger deal, a set of bearings and 2 cans of paint came to £185 or there abouts.

It was fun to build – quite easy, but you need to pay attention if it’s your first one (it was mine).
    They also do a version called the Aqroshot which is the same chassis, but with longer suspension arms & bigger truck type wheels. It might be better for bumpier surfaces/long grass.

It’s bloody quick though – not sure children under the age of 5 would manage something as fast – depending if it’s just a large open space or somewhere where smashing into kerbs will be a frequent occurrence.
    You could probably put a slower motor into it (a 380, perhaps).

The only issue I have with the Neo Fighter is that the rear springs seem too soft – it drags it’s arse on the ground a bit; dropping it onto the floor from 6″ sees the front end nicely bounce back up & settle with about 20% sag, whereas the rear end bottoms out & then sits with about 80% sag. I am probably going to get a spring kit for it and put some harder springs on it. I’ve had a look about on the interweb & it seems to be a common complaint.
    Gonna keep driving it around for a while to get a better feel for it before making any changes though.

I finished painting the body last night – it turned out quite well although I still need to find time to do the stickers. I did white & fluo pink – here’s a couple of pics, although the pink looks a lot brighter in the flesh:

cheekyget
    Free Member

Get your butt on eBay and buy a used one….electric is fastest, but is short lived…around 20mins
    But I like smoke and noise , and as the battery only powers the steering ,brakes and throttle …it’ll last hours as long as you keep topping up the nitro tank
    I always say to people to get HPI, only because it’s easy to get the parts…in all RC cars are the same..till you start hopping them up
    I got ATM
    Nitro RS4 drift racer
    Nitro Rush and nitro MT2…..the rush I got for my boy so we could play RC football….it’s harder than you think..but great fun!!

wrecker
    Free Member

I think my mind has been made up…

cheekyget
    Free Member

If you want a all terrain RC….HPI savage X….I sold mine last year….but it helped pay for my fatbike!!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘RC Cars again’ is closed to new replies.