Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Raspberry pi / non-HDMI monitor
  • jon1973
    Free Member

OK, thinking of getting a Raspberry Pi to play around with. I currently have a couple of monitors with a DVI and VGA input, but no HDMI. Has anyone sucessfully connected a Pi though to an older monitor? Looking on line seems to suggest different levels of success when using DVI/HDMI converter cables or cables to take you from the RF out to VGA.

Stoner
    Free Member
    jamiea
    Free Member

Yep, a HDMI to DVI convertor off of the ‘Bay for a couple of quid, jobs a good’un!

Cheers,
    Jamie

andytherocketeer

HDMI to DVI makes a lot more sense if the TV/Monitor has DVI. Can get either adapters, or cables that have HDMI one end and DVI at the other. I don’t recall if the RPi does audio over HDMI? If so, then that capability will be lost with a DVI adapter.

HDMI video signals are (afaik) electrically identical to digital lines of DVI.

smeg
    Free Member

I picked up a HDMI to DVI from Asda for ~£3 about a week ago. Works
    fine.

greeble
    Free Member

there’s and s video output too.

IA

HDMI video signals are (afaik) electrically identical to digital lines of DVI.

This. Cable for a few quid off ebay.

miketually
    Free Member

DVI and HDMI are the same, just HDMI has a slightly ‘prettier’ socket. I got a HDMI to DVI cable from Amazon for about £2 posted, to run an old monitor as a second monitor on my laptop. A colleague used a similar cable to run his Rasp Pi on a monitor at work.

Stoner
    Free Member

except DVI doesnt carry sound signal does it?

jon1973
    Free Member

That’s great. Not worried about the sound, as the monitor doesn’t have speakers anyway.

cheers everyone. Cable it is.

stuartm555
    Free Member

If you have another PC you get connect from it with SSH

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Raspberry pi / non-HDMI monitor’ is closed to new replies.