Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • Rapha interview from 2008
  • mcboo
    Free Member

http://www.cnbcmagazine.com/story/revisiting-start-ups-rapha/562/

I came across this old article from 2yrs ago.

Mottram’s objective is to build the brand in this manner until 2010. “By then, we will be the most desirable high end brand in road racing; razor sharp in its execution; limited in terms of volume and maximised in terms of feel and lustre.”

Now I know there are more than a few Rapha haters out there but you have to take your hat off to this guy……

noteeth
    Free Member

…and some skin care products as well

Really?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I don't like all Rapha stuff, some of it is just downright poncy, but some stuff is really nice and I can't afford it. But what I do like is that they are making stuff that's a bit different and nicer than most of the overpriced nasty looking 'cycling' clothing that's available. Most of my riding is urban commuting, and I don't want to look like lycra lout freak in garish colours and embarrassing designs. But I do need functionality such as windproofness, waterproofness, hardwearingness and comfort. Very often, adding a 'for cycling' tag to a garment doubles it's price, because quite a lot of cyclists are insecure mindless fools who will pay extortionate prices in the misguided belief that their lives will be enhanced.

A few months ago I wanted to buy a lightweight jacket that was warm, windproof and water resistant. I didn't mind spending a bit to get something nice, but everything I found in bike shops was garish and nasty. In the end I found a simple plain black jacket with a light fleece lining that did the job, and looked great. £40 in Decathlon. Not cycle specific, but does a good job when riding my bike. I don't have to look like a tasteless spod when I use my bike to accompany friends to a concert of classical music at the Barbican, for example.

There's a lot more people who cycle who don't want to look stupid. Rapha at least is one company that is making an effort to provide alternatives. They can get fecked with their prices though. £100 for a pair of riding mitts? You can have a smack in the mouth for free is what you can have. Take the piss.

In fact no most of their stuff is poncy and bought by pretentious ponces. I take it all back.

I quite like their classic softshell though. I'd nick one if I could. Wouldn't pay £240 for it though, but some mug will, I'm sure. I might just nick it off them. Ponce.

scottishbadger
    Free Member

It's a good brand, but some of their stuff is way OTT. I've got a backpack (Christmas present), a long sleaved merino base layer and their Fixed shorts. All three are functional and I use them most days for commuting, but I doubt they're are that much better than cheaper kit. I wouldn't buy their shorts or tops as I'd look a total ponce.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I was looking at their tailored jacket in Condor the other day, because I was bored. It is £400. It is however an exceedingly nice jacket. Really very nice. For example, the cuff buttons actually undo, and the detailing of the pocket fastenings is lovely. Also, the buttons and tie to do it right up to the neck is lovely.

I came away with the impression that it was more-or-less £400 worth of jacket (unless there's something about the quality of the cloth, or some really bad workmanship somewhere).

Now, not everyone pays £400 for a semi-formal sports jacket. I generally don't – mostly I'll spend £250-£300 on such a thing, which is about the right relationship in my mind between what I can afford, what value I get from such a thing and how good it looks/well it fits.

So I probably won't be buying the Rapha one. But it's not mental to consider it.

Likewise with their jerseys. If you tend to buy good quality formal shirts you pay quite a lot for them, £75 is easy to spend. If that's the comparison then suddenyl a Rapha jersey isn't all that much, and again, they are really very nice indeed.

This may all be "more money than sense". But I think it's probably just "more money". 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh-oh: Ponce alert:

BigDummy
    Free Member

That moustache really is quite something. 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No actually it was the Fixed jacket I liked. They don't seem to do it any more.

Not too dissimilar to my £40 Decathlon jobbie. Perhaps a little nicer. But more the kind of style I'd want to wear. I could turn up to a performance of Greig's Peer Gynt Suite at the Royal Fest looking reasonably presentable, wearing that. And not embarrass my friends or frighten children.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

And if you can possibly ignore this unfortunate young man's dreadful haircut, this jacket is a little bit more subdued than the usual lary coloured ghastly abominations from Endura etc:

That is a particularly dreadful haircut though, and this individual looks quite whey-faced and effete. Thankfully I will never look like that, and can go about my business confident that I won't get my face punched as a result on my physical appearance.

BigDummy
    Free Member

And not embarrass my friends or frighten children

Especially, as seen there, accessorised with a nice silk scarf. 🙂

noteeth
    Free Member

TBH, this thread just makes me want to bust out with some Local Motion Dominator gloves. And maybe a Bula hat.

warton
    Free Member

confident that I won't get my face punched as a result on my physical appearance.

However you will get punched on account of being a total dick. quite often I imagine.

noteeth
    Free Member

Not you, is it Warton?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Noteeth, possibly some Been Bag clothing?

No but seriously, sartorial gentleman such as BigDummy and my good self need to look reasonably tidy as we go about our affaires du jour*. Thus, we require garments that fit our needs, not just practically, but also in terms of aesthetics. What Rapha do is say 'look, it can be done differently'. There is no need for companies to produce exclusively nasty things. Some of us want something nice.

*I bet I've cocked up the spelling or grammar of that, in my feeble attempt to seem sophisticated. What a pretentious posing ponce.

aP
    Free Member

I might dig out my Axo Pony boots to wear with the Bula hat and Calange fleece jacket……

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

However you will get punched on account of being a total dick. quite often I imagine.

You imagine quite wrongly, my angry friend, and I suspect have taken this just a leeetle too seriously.

Personally, I'm more concerned with this sudden and quite violent bout of wind with which I seem to have become afflicted. I fear it may put the kybosh on my afternoon swim. 🙁

warton
    Free Member

noteeth, no, but I've just forked out 100 quid for a haircut like that…my beard isn't as neat though

warton
    Free Member

and I suspect have taken this just a leeetle too seriously.

yes you're probably right. I might go for a little lie down,. Enjoy your swim, rapha trunks?

noteeth
    Free Member

Rapha would do well to learn from Team Hot Pies. The urban sophisticate above would look far better with a Etto helmet, accessorised with some nice furry ears.

aP
    Free Member

£100 for a haircut?
    Sheesh, you could have a decent luncheon for that. Some people obviously have too much money.

noteeth
    Free Member

Sheesh, you could have a decent luncheon for that

More to the point, you could probably buy a stylish hat.

BigDummy
    Free Member

[chuckles at noteeth] 🙂

warton
    Free Member

crazy-legs

I was working on the ST stand at SITS last weekend, was chatting to a guy who'd turned up on a battered SS touring bike to watch some of the racing, he'd bought a subscription and he was trying to tuck the free gift of a guide book into his Rapha jersey pocket. It did fit (just about) but he said how unbelievably good the top was, really comfy, well thought out etc and he was a proper hardcore audax type – huge mileage so the jersey had had loads of use.

For that you can argue that it IS worth £125, especially as it comes with arm warmers so it's effectively 2 jerseys in one.

I've got one of the older Rapha jackets (freebie), a Rapha shirt (present) and a pair of Rapha trousers (heavily discounted) but there's no way I'd wear all of it together and little chance of me buying anything for full price! Most of there products are good quality though and you've got to admire them for their marketing – actually getting people to buy gloves for £100! 😯

mcboo
    Free Member

I wore my Rapha touring shorts as swimming trunks on the beach last week. I do believe I was the best dressed sad old Mod in Biarritz.

Its lovely stuff and only looks expensive next to purely cycling clothes. Lets be honest, a lot of road kit is horrible and mountain bikers as a group are ugly and need smartening up sharpish.

noteeth
    Free Member

and mountain bikers as a group are ugly

I resemble that remark. Besides, I just look well-used.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Of course, one would have to consider the correct footwear:

Undred and fifty pahnd to you guv'ner.

And for when one is not in town:

They're actually really rather nice, those…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I resemble that remark.

😆

Quality.

belgianbob

I was speaking to a bicycle polo-ist the other day who was at a Rapha-sponsored bash earlier in the year.
    Apparently it was full of their customers who'd come in full racing kit (this is an afternoon do, in town and indoors, remember) and clopping about in their Sidis. Come the end of the event, they all – or possibly just most of them, but that spoils it – got on their iPhnoes and called black cabs to take them back to their city offices from Old Street.
    So, barely a bike RIDER amongst them, apparently. He didn't seem to be that impressed with the VFM discernment abilities of Rapha's core clientele.

BigDummy
    Free Member

they all – or possibly just most of them, but that spoils it

…some of them…one of them…might have.

It's a fabulous story for sure. But it isn't true. 🙂

traildog
    Free Member

I can understand rapha, but personally I'm unwilling to liken cycle clothing to fashion clothing. Mainly because cycling makes you sweat and smell, so I consider looking good pointless if you stink. Far better to get changed afterward riding into something good.

I cannot say Rapha's style appeals that much, being all black and boring, although they've improved a lot. And while the quality looks good, I can think of a couple of brands which I consider far better.

I certainly don't understand people getting worked up by the price. If you think there is better available for that price, then buy it. Why get upset that something is expensive if it's so unappealing to you?

mcboo
    Free Member

Rapha Campionissimo vintage-style cycling shirt

I missed out on one of these. You either love clothes like this or you dont.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I have the cross knickers and top, and very very nice they are too. They wick well, fit wonderfully, and look classy. Expensive? Maybe, then they'll look as a good in cross 5 season's time as they do now.

I do admire their business model and buy into their marketing, however a number of their products, (Paul Smith line, leather racing gloves), seem too overtly stylized.

Be interesting to see their new skin care range in a month or so. Wonder if we'll be able to use Rapha embrocation for our winter rides?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

This young lady would happily accompany you to a Holbein exhibition at the National, and maybe a coffee afterwards:

Whereas this feller just wants to talk to you about Stain Removal:

My case resteth, M'Lud.

nickc

riding companion of mine wears a lot of Rapha, seems well made, it fits, looks nice, and doubtless wears well. I can't afford it, and even if I could I'd probably get a dirty look from mrs nickc.

noteeth
    Free Member

Right you are, 'elf – though it's not impossible that having a coffee with her might ultimately lead to the tricky matter of stain removal. A carelessly spilt beverage, for example.

Also, is CFH just out of shot? I imagine him, G n' T in hand, holding forth on Respro humps and the Great Game. She looks a bit puzzled, though.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It's a good point you know. I'd maybe advise her on wearing more practical colours. I'd imagine chain oil might show up on that outfit somewhat.

miketually
    Free Member

Rapha-lovers might like this: http://www.rapha.cc/a-throw-of-the-dice

It'll be more ammo to Rapha-haters.

MrSmith
    Free Member

rapha stuff is very good, the best bit about it is how much consternation it causes on cycling forums. it's great VFM

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I thought the little film was quite good.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Rapha interview from 2008’ is closed to new replies.