Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Rant on behalf of my wife and volunteers everywhere.
  • codybrennan
    Free Member

FFS.

You do realise that she gives up at least an evening a week of her time for your spoiled little brat of a girl-child? And that she doesn’t have to?

Missus has been a Guider since way back when and has always enjoyed it. As well as the fun aspect of it, she gives a lot back to the community- as well as the aforementioned evening a week, they do a lot of planning in their own personal time, and when there’s a camp coming up its non-stop.

All to make sure that girls get a bit of instruction in how to live a bit better, and that they all have fun in safety.

Why then do we get ranting calls complaining that little Activia has been waiting for a few months now for a space and can we please get a move on etc?

Honestly, why can’t people (mothers it has to said) get the idea that this is volunteer based, and if the waiting lists are busy, well, volunteer, help out, whatever?

Latest is a mother who’s been ranting on the local FB page about the ‘delays’ in getting her precious daughter in- you’d think this was a primary school waiting list the way they go on. And then knocks back a slot when it comes up because the kid is going to be there on a different night to her pals. And then when my wife does her best to accommodate the change of night, doesn’t even bother to send her!

grim168
    Free Member

Both wife and I volunteer at the kids trampoline club. Cheap child care for some people I’m sure.

ssboggy

Cheap child care for some people I’m sure.

I’ll second hand that after being a scout leader for 17 years

pennine
    Free Member

Unfortunately, goes with the ‘job’. Almost 40yrs in the scout movement so met quite a few but it does seem to be on the increase. Pushy parents never appear to have time to help.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yeah, see that at our martial arts club – some parents drop their kids off half an hour early and pick them up late, it’s probably a pretty cheap way to get rid of them for a few hours.

Sandwich

I stopped Scouting after the committee decided that I wasn’t allowed any free time that didn’t involve Scout activities. This from people who arranged for events to be during their holidays so they wouldn’t have to help out.

We were barely making the grade for quality Scouting as the association defines it. My health and well-being came first though so I reluctantly called it quits.

killwillforchips
    Free Member

If yuh don’t like it quit! 😛 😉
    After all you know the pitfalls, sounds like typical self centered people you and your wife are dealing with and like all selfish folk they ain’t gonna change.

I understand your frustration but i Certainly wouldnt do it.

Good luck

glupton1976
    Free Member

With all voluntary work you need to remind yourself why you do it. When you do that all the other pish fades away into insignificance.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

grim168 – Member
    Both wife and I volunteer at the kids trampoline club. Cheap child care for some people I’m sure.

POSTED 29 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

So is school, teachers the poorest paid childminders in the world.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yep. Agreed with the OP

Mrs PP has been running the local Contact the Elderly group for a while. Taking old biddies to tea parties. Lovely.
    Yet some of the families can be utter assholes. Onepossible new member’s daughter, some years ago, actually left Mrs PP in tears on the phone. She rang back very soon after. I picked up the phone and REALLY let her have it with both barrels. The only thing I did’t do was swear. I really do hope it had the same effect on her as it did on Mrs PP. Not having that.
    That’s the worst but not the only thing that’s happened.

rolyd

As above sadly some parents are like this! (10 years as a scout leader)
    Best defence is “we always need more leaders, this is what you need to do….”
    They soon go quiet! Agreed its not great but just have to try to focus on the positive aspects

jamj1974

Sorry Steve, teachers are in no way the lowest paid childminders! By a hell of a long way they are not even the lowest paid individuals who work with children. Even if you are talking about the additional work supporting after-school clubs, teachers still earn a decent living wage that for the majority of teachers is higher than the national average wage.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

teachers the poorest paid childminders in the world

No, that would be a non working parent

killwillforchips
    Free Member

That’s me!

jamj1974

Not that I don’t appreciate the good work that those teachers who are truly dedicated and excel at their profession do!

project
    Free Member

Those that dont volunteer have the right to compalin,that what keeps them occupied so they dont have the time to volunteer, thats how they think.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

No bother jam, I will take 4 per hr per child thanks.

You miss the point, school is just a cheap childminding service for a lot of parents, education comes a poor second.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Tijuana Taxi – Member
    No, that would be a non working parent

POSTED 33 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

No, you are hardly a child minder when it’s you own kids.

ssboggy

Yeah ok.
    🙄

jamj1974

Steve. Agreed, there are parents who think education is something they only receive and do not participate in or contribute to.

J

jj55

I wont bore you with the details of my last 8 years as a town councillor in a little Herefordshire Town, but on the many occasions I have come close to chucking it all in I read these words:

Pause for thought

I’m sure those who you help are very grateful, don’t let one selfish ignorant person ruin it for all the others, keep on keeping on

johndoh
    Free Member

And of course education is, welll, compulsory. It’s not like people send their kids to Primary School because they can’t be arsed being a parent.

Is it time for a 🙄

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Some people will take this piss regardless, the main thing to do is to play the “rollyd” card as they will never step up. If they do then you have the extra places.

MoreCashThanDash

Sympathy here, MrsMCTD is a Guide leader – does her head in as well. I help out as a volunteer with the Cubs, but can’t commit as I’m usually looking after our kids due to the Guiding stuff!

Constant pleas for more leaders/volunteers to enable more girls to join and do more activities fall on deaf ears.

Think the way girls sign up to join is changing with a new system at the end of the year, to cause even more chaos?

taxi25
    Free Member

I’ve always assumed people who volunteer for things, enjoy what their volunteering for. If not why do it ? I sure as hell wouldn’t spend years of my life doing something that did my head in.
    Guiding is a good thing but if the hassle starts to outweigh the positive, got to be time to move on.

Spin
    Free Member

If yuh don’t like it quit

This. Unless of course you actually like the ‘put upon’ act it enables you to do.

bazwadah
    Free Member

The parents may not fully appreciate the efforts of volunteers but im sure the kids will. I was in scouts and only years after leaving did I realise the amount of time and effort the leaders put in to organise the activities. Wish I could thank them for getting me into walking, camping and cycling.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ve always assumed people who volunteer for things, enjoy what their volunteering for. If not why do it ?

Perhaps because they enjoy doing the thing they’ve volunteered to do, but end up dealing with selfish idiots instead.

kimbers

really enjoyed my time as a scout leader

very rewarding, in north london had a mix of kids from crappy haringey tower blocks and muswell hill posh kids

some of the kids were a handful but a few of the parents were selfish, rude and it was usually the posher ones!

2nd the comment about free childcare

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Rant on behalf of my wife and volunteers everywhere.’ is closed to new replies.