Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Radon Swoop 170 10.0, anyone got one or tried one?
  • paulneenan76
    Free Member

Pretty set on my next purchase but nowt wrong with keeping an eye out on other potential bikes in my budget, is there? To that note, anyone got or tried a Radon Swoop?
    Great spec for price, looks nice, nice geo etc., but real life thoughts appreciated.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Bumping for the day shift

jam-bo

Radon Swoop 170. Top dog?

dirt seem to like it.

I finally got put off that overly gushy review when they proclaimed that it was light at 32lbs and to make it lighter would be stupid. And how amazing it was but the damping needed sorting

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Lack of a demo and more rounded reviews rule it out for me. Time to get the wallet out!

BillOddie

damping needed sorting

They say that about everything though.

andyrm
    Free Member

The Lyrik equipped 9.0 got a really solid review in MBUK & Bikeradar recently:

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/full-suspension/product/radon-swoop-170-90-1×11-50393/

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d have one and sell the shock to replace with a Fox X2.

And 32lbs is totally fine for a 170mm bike, if that’s with pedals.

Yetiman
    Free Member

yeah I would say 32lbs is pretty light for a 170mm alu frame bike, considering a basic carbon Capra is over 30lbs.

davosaurusrex

Can anyone tell me how tall Steve Jones is? He never mentions it in his reviews.

chakaping
    Free Member

Tweet or email him and ask. He looked 6ft-ish when I saw him at FoD.

chakaping
    Free Member

So I did get one (but didn’t replace the shock).

First impressions are that the Dirt review is totally on the money.

I did a blog..

First ride: Radon Swoop 170

davosaurusrex

Nice write up chakaping, do like the look of those.

I was being sarky about Steve Jones’ height BTW, he goes on about being six-bloody-foot more than he goes on about damping needing sorting!

Yetiman
    Free Member

Nice one.

Radon bikes might not be a common sight on UK trails at the moment, but the price and performance of the Swoop suggest you’ll be seeing plenty of them over the coming years.

Common as muck around here now. Three mates bought Radon Slides and there’s a Swoop I see regularly too.

chakaping
    Free Member

Odd how they do 130, 140, 150, 160 and 170mm bikes – guess they didn’t want to leave anyone out!

I was being sarky about Steve Jones’ height BTW, he goes on about being six-bloody-foot more than he goes on about damping needing sorting!

So he does, yeah. Should have got that one.

peachos
    Free Member

Hey Chapaking, good write up! I’m about to hit the button on that same model as you. How does it stack up size-wise for you? I’m about 5’10” and gonna go for the 18″.

Cheers!

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m 5ft 8in but have stubby legs (30in inside leg) and a longer torso.

I wouldn’t mind if the seat tube was 17in rather than 18in, but otherwise it’s perfect for me. I guess it’d fit you well if you have more normal proportions (and like a long reach).

The medium is longer than a lot of brands large bikes anyway.

peachos
    Free Member

I’m pretty much medium kinda guy so I reckon it’ll be fine. Have thought about upping to Large for other bikes I’ve considered, but with this one I think medium us right. Cheers for the feedback.

gonzy
    Free Member

got a mate who bought one this summer. its the 10.0 as well. its a killer value bike on paper when you look at the spec and price.
    as for riding it he loves it.
    he had a reign previously but at 5’10” the xl size his lbs convinced him to buy was way too big for him so he sold it and got the swoop in a medium.
    he did have a creaking issue a few weeks ago but thats now been resolved and the bike has been trouble free since.

chakaping….how does the swoop ride compared to the reign? they’re both on my birthday wishlist

chakaping
    Free Member

how does the swoop ride compared to the reign?

They are similar in weight and both have nice supple suspension that stays composed over rocks and stuff.

Climbing was similar – slightly better on the Swoop due to the shock I think.

I felt the Reign was sometimes a bit dull on easier trails, unless thrashing it. The Swoop is more involving, corners better and feels more “alive”, if you know what I mean.

I did just have a Monarch RT on the Reign though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Good review on PB today, did anyone else get one in the end?

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/radon-swoop-170-9-1×11-review-2016.html

peachos
    Free Member

Had mine a month or so now. Absolutely rapid as **** bike. Been smashing PBs out left, right and centre on my usual trails.

Unbelievable value for money. Love it!

chakaping
    Free Member

What are your local trails like peachos?

I’m getting very close to some of my PBs, but I had ridden them a lot before.

Took mine to the Lakes the weekend before last though and it was superb (apart from the pedal up Honister).

Dango
    Free Member

Myself and two other riding mates have bought different versions of the Swoop this year. All of them have had no threadlock to any bolts or screws. Bike Discounts reply: its good practice to use this during assembly but we dont have to. I personally found this out the hard way when a shock pivot fell out. Have been without this part now for 8 days now as I wait for a replacement. I was told that EVERY bolt should be cheched EVERY ride. I would recommend anyone buying on of these great bikes takes it appart as adds some loctite to every fastener before something falls off. Just a heads up.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cool story Bro*

*Been riding bikes for many years, built numerous bikes, and I have never, ever used loctite on anything. Appropriate lubrication and the correct torque are key.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Nice necro thread bump 😀

OP did you ever end up with one of these bicycles?

Northwind

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

*Been riding bikes for many years, built numerous bikes, and I have never, ever used loctite on anything. Appropriate lubrication and the correct torque are key.

Do you clean pre-applied threadlock off everything?

Though the point isn’t so much whether or not Radon use threadlock, it’s that the bolts are falling out and if they’d used it they probably wouldn’t. Unless they used those weird special bolts that mondraker use that’d find a way to come loose even if you welded them in

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Radon Swoop 170 10.0, anyone got one or tried one?’ is closed to new replies.