Viewing 6 posts - 201 through 206 (of 206 total)
  • Race Phototraphers? Yeah. OK….
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Crucially, is Peter paid properly for being better than everyone else, or does he just do it for the love of his art?

I've done it twice. First time was purely to learn how to use some new kit. I thought a 'captive audience' was great for this purpose.

It was suggested to me by Joolze that rather than give them away, I should sell them and donate to charity. I chose HFH as it was an Army event, on Army land. Gorrick races are a lot smaller than Bikefest and with 4-5 adverts on various forums I made £40 for HFH at £2 a time. You do the maths… 😉
    So, not many no. But I didn't have shots of all the riders who emailed me.I never started out to sell them in the first place, and I was amazed by how many I sold and the feedback I got. I was chuffed to bits 🙂

Obviously if he'd told people it was for charity they'd have bought even more.

I made that very, very clear. I imagine if you dig back in my profile, you'll find the thread I posted on here 🙂

ha ha, but irrelevant. He doesn't have to be any good at it for his point to be valid.

Indeed. It's just a PoV though, nothing more. 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

I made that very, very clear.

For the avoidance of any doubt created by the mis-calibration of your irony filter, I was remarking that what people will pay for when the money is being donated to a popular charity and what they will pay for when the seller is keeping the proceeds are not necessarily exactly the same. The point being that your claim to commercial viability is not very well evidenced by the fact that you can solicit charitable donations in exchange for your pictures (commendable though that is). It's by-the-by though, and I think we're probably bored of this discussion. 🙂

smoggy
    Free Member

How do you know where to buy said photographs from – i assume they give you a flyer/business card in the "doggy bag" at the ed of the race?

am i right?

🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I was remarking that what people will pay for when the money is being donated to a popular charity and what they will pay for when the seller is keeping the proceeds are not necessarily exactly the same.

The 2nd time I did it, I did it for myself.
    With only leaflets on cars and no forum advertising I made a bit more. 🙂

I might try again at another event this year. I'll let you know how it goes. 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

I'll let you know how it goes

Of that, I am absolutely confident. Good luck. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well, it'll be for HfH again if I do, so I'll be advertising on here. 🙂

EDIT
    Your link is banned on my work PC. Is it worth looking at tonight? 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 201 through 206 (of 206 total)

The topic ‘Race Phototraphers? Yeah. OK….’ is closed to new replies.