Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Quinoa – next level foodstuff?
  • yunki
    Free Member

Quinoa has a lot of stigma attached which confuses me..
    As far as I can make out it’s brilliant..
    With it’s excellent nutritional profile it makes a great alternative to carbs which I though would appeal to many people trying to watch their diet or ‘eat clean’

Anyway.. I spotted this earlier which is something else that could be set to be the next superfood..

The reviews are very interesting

aP
    Free Member

Quinoa use by the first world means that the indigenous peoples who have eaten it for generations now can’t afford to.
    I think your next superfood is one that you can keep to yourself…

porlus
    Free Member

Some of the reviews are great

I thought I would have a laugh at a mate’s expense. He brought his missus round for a meal and I gave them the natural yoghurt recipe from the book. I would have liked to put my hand on the back of her head while she ate it, purely out of habit, but thought better of it,

Anyway, she asked if she could take some home. I said yes, as I thought it was because she liked it so much. I mean, I didn’t know she had thrush! I knew he had had the snip because he told me.

So now, ten months later, they’re divorced. He’s still in rehab, and she’s managed to get a council house on account of her being a single mother. She’s now a devout Catholic too.

So I recommend the book be placed in the waiting rooms in sperm banks

RobHilton
    Free Member

Quinoa has an amazing property of being totally unfilling.

yunki
    Free Member

Quinoa use by the first world means that the indigenous peoples who have eaten it for generations now can’t afford to.

is that a true fact?
    Or just something you made up?

piemonster

It’s been argued that’s the case, I’ve not seen anything recent though.

If somebody stumbles across a recent study into it I’d be interested in reading it?

http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/feature/2014/01/06/quinua-llega-hasta-la-nasa-pero-se-aleja-de-los-consumidores-andinos

Susie
    Free Member

Edit – Never mind it’s just an older article of the one above.

beej

It’s OK, we’ve started growing it in the UK now:
    http://www.fwi.co.uk/arable/grow-your-own-quinoa-super-crop.htm

I have it occasionally, needs a decent sauce to make it edible – something oriental. I hate washing up after it though, the little curly tails really stick to stuff.

yunki
    Free Member

hmmm… those studies would definitely seem to indicate that bolivians are changing their eating habits as a result of 1st world meddling..

I dunno if a handful of right on folk boycotting the foodstuff will stop the onslaught of capitalism though 😳

We just use it instead of rice or pasta..

Sam

I’ve heard the argument that us eating it has inflated the market price and deprives poor bolivians of it. I’ve also heard that the increased price and demand has injected a lot of money in to Bolivia and it’s an overall benefit. Plus it’s now also grown elsewhere.

I really like it and cook with it quite a bit, using it in salads and also making porridge with it. On its own it is quite dry and bland, as a side dish it definitely needs dressing.

MSP

I have tried it as a rice replacement, definitely nowhere near as nice as basmati rice with a curry. If your the kind of person who can eats for fuel before pleasure it will be good for you, but I can’t see it replacing tastier alternatives in my own diet.

The first world consumption (and waste) of food grown in third world countries is a much bigger problem than just quinoa, and frankly food production is an almost impossible moral maze to negotiate as an individual.

cyve
    Free Member

With it’s excellent nutritional profile it makes a great alternative to carbs

It contains the same amount of carbs as a baked potato (21g / 100g) and, whilst it’s touted for being a complete protein food (contains all the essential amino acids) it still only contains 2.2g proteins per 100g (vs 2.1g protein in a baked potato).

yunki
    Free Member

Depends totally where you’re getting your info from I think cyve..

Your protein levels are waaaay out there (according to some sources) and the proteins are quite different..

I don’t think it’s quite as simple as your post makes out is it?

And what are your thoughts on semen?

zilog6128

I think your next superfood is one that you can keep to yourself…

As far as I can work out this was a claim first made in a Guardian article, although the factual basis is dubious (and contrary to all other info I found on the web)

The local wholefoods shop only sells organic/fairtrade quinoa now though, so that’s what I buy personally.

_tom_
    Free Member

Not a massive fan of it, it’s ok but I’d rather just go without carbs if I was trying properly to eat really clean. When I’ve had it, its always had a bit of a rubbery texture.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

There must be some kind of Kinsey Scale for food choice – a whole spectrum ranging from factory-wrought lard to sustainably-sourced quinoa – the latter only really enjoyed by right wing pundi-trolls or those Guardianistas who flagellate themselves to this day because they once ate hedgehog-flavoured crisps after a bad pint of Prosecco.

scotroutes

a great alternative to carbs

As already pointed out above, no it isn’t.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Not a massive fan of it, it’s ok but I’d rather just go without carbs if I was trying properly to eat really clean. When I’ve had it, its always had a bit of a rubbery texture.

So much here hinges upon whether or not you visited the OP’s link. Delicious! 😯

Portmanteau of the day: semelina.

binners

You don’t live in Chorlton then? And remember the turmoil created by quinoa-gate?

bikebouy
    Free Member

It forms a huge part four daily intake and whilst to some it’s just plain boring, it really does grow on you.. Certainly if, like me, you eat meat maybe once every two months or so and supplement that for oily fish.

Anyway, I hate the “knit your own shoes/Notting Hill set of the 90’s” image, it really is just another food source and could, like us, become just another part of your main diet.

Another thing, we couldn’t get it in our local Waitrose.. I know, how ridiculous. However since we’ve asked for it it appeared and now sells out quickly 🙄

I wonder what Salford’ites think of it since the BBC have moved up there 😆

binners

They don’t have an opinion on it as long as they can keep mugging them for their iPhones.

I’d think they have a stronger opinion on all the bars upping their prices to those of Central london! youre now asked by a man with a straight face, for over a fiver for a pint of Kronenberg. This is a far more pressing issue than the quinoa 😯

dudeofdoom

it’s alrigt for a change but not that mind blowing …..tastes a but shit like most healthy stuff but that’s healthy for you…

thekingisdead
    Free Member

COoked in a decent vegetable stock / Bouillon its quite tasty (to me anyway). I mix it with Bulgar wheat as a rice / pasta substitute.

The Guardian has loads of good Quinuoa recipes….. 😆

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Quinoa is old hat.
    Tef is where it’s at!

dannyh
    Free Member

slackalice
    Free Member

And what are your thoughts on semen?

More palatable when the donor has a kiwi fruit and/or pineapple heavy diet. I’m led to understand.

_tom_
    Free Member

So much here hinges upon whether or not you visited the OP’s link. Delicious!

hahah I was referring to quinoa 😯

dannyh
    Free Member

They don’t have an opinion on it as long as they can keep mugging them for their iPhones.

I’d think they have a stronger opinion on all the bars upping their prices to those of Central london! youre now asked by a man with a straight face, for over a fiver for a pint of Kronenberg. This is a far more pressing issue than the quinoa

A few years back I got dragged on an ill advised night out to the bar at Stamford Bridge in London. My mate who dragged us there was always a bit of a ‘one’ for being seen in trendy places. Anyway, less than halfway into the evening I had predictably run out of cash, having already withdrawn what I thought was a ludicrous amount. I went to the bar and (probably very uncooly) asked if I could use a debit card. The bloke behind the bar sneered that there was a charge if I spent less than a fiver. When I replied that there wasn’t much danger of that as there wasn’t a single thing I could buy that was priced under a fiver and therefore he was being an arse, he didn’t seem all that chuffed. It improved my mood for a few seconds, before I was parted with at least another twenty quid.

yunki
    Free Member

Tef is where it’s at!

I thought it was LSA..?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Pigs liver blended with newky brown, just pinch your nose and swallow it down, protein and carbs in one, simples.

nickc

1. Don’t eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn’t recognize as food.

2. Spend more, eat less.

3. Pay no heed to nutritional science or the health claims on packages

4. Eat mostly green veg

Pretty much works for me.

chewkw
    Free Member

Ya, Palm oil is good so why not clear the entire Borneo forest to feed the palm oil addicts in the world? Yes, the large multinationals make sure your biscuits will last longer? Ya? You like food you can keep for a long time? Ya? Palm oil … yes … oh look the Orangutan is so cute without the mother/father.

Soya bean is good for you too … yesss, let’s clear the forest in South America to plant them because they are so healthy and I am a healthy person.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Don’t eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn’t recognize as food.

Bit of an odd one considering how cosmopolitan our diet has become. My great grandmother would not recognise a pepper or a Courgette or a Sweet potato never mind some styles like Italian or Indian. I suspect she ate rather poorly tbh. She certainly had sugar sandwiches as she fed these to me as a child

I dont eat Quinoa as its expensive and other stuff is cheaper and it impacts on the natives who rely on it.

bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

Chewkw, click on the OP’s link in the first post please. It’ll calm you down.

cyve
    Free Member

Semen is high in zinc.

nickc

My great grandmother would not recognise a pepper

As food? as opposed to say, a Pop tart?

It’s meant as, you know, light hearted general yardstick, but you know, be specific as you like about it…

Junkyard
    Free Member

So it means dont eat processed crap/eat properly?

In all honesty , and forgive me here, but I did not know what you meant. I thought it may have been like some sort of paelo diet. IM my case it would have meant eat more stews and haggis and lots of butter and sugar.

chewkw
    Free Member

bigblackheinoustoe – Member

Chewkw, click on the OP’s link in the first post please. It’ll calm you down.

😆 Semen. Is that for real? 😆

MSP

Yeah, makes quite a difference to the “what your grandmother ate” reference.

dudeofdoom

My ma bought me some pop tarts for a treat (I did quit enjoy them ) but tbh i do prefer a lot more of the healthy
    Stuff nowadays (ie non processed )…

My current fave is TPW’s protein porridge ….. Just add hot water which is plain lazy but sometimes that’s all you need to keep the right choice….

Did used to make it with the iron cut oat an leave overnight which was also really nice…. Never tried it with spunk thou…suppose it’s a marmite like thang.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Quinoa – next level foodstuff?’ is closed to new replies.