Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • quick tubeless question
  • offpiste
    Free Member

I’ve just refitted my back tyre (Hans Dampf) after cleaning out the almost dried out stans sealant. New sealant in, have done a short ride, all the shaking about stuff, left the wheel horizontal overnight but it’s still losing air. Soapy water test reveals lots of air escaping through sidewalls. The only thing I can think of is that the new sealant is from a bottle that was originally opened about a year ago, does it go off after time? Any other pointers much appreciated…

qwerty
    Free Member

does it go off after time?

I was wondering this yesterday. I have a bottle of opened Revo Sealant that I was attempting to squeeze into my sons football via a thin valve, but it kept blocking with little clots of latex. The bottles only been open a month. It would still squeeze through a bicycle valve though.

jimjam
    Free Member

How much sealant did you put in? my advice would be to put 40-50psi in and spin the wheel quite a bit, or go for a short ride. Tilting the wheel while passing it through your hands seems to help too. Bloody Schwalbe.

dantsw13

If it’s definately the sidewalls, then it’s just a case of add more sealant and repeating the shake n bake shuffle.

I had some conti x kings that took ages to seal the sidewalls.

Are the beads definately seated?

Also, I assume you gave the Stans bottle a really good shake? The latex settles very quickly.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Leave the wheel horizontally on a bucket for a few hours on each side, with plenty sealant inside. And yes, it does go off, hence I now only buy the smaller bottle.

lornholio
    Free Member

Don’t scrape out the old sealant residue next time.

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

lornholio speaks wise words.

offpiste
    Free Member

Yes I did shake the bottle, I think the fact that it’s old is part of the problem. Hadn’t considered cleaning out the old stuff would be a factor, will leave in next time. I’ll continue to ride/shake/leave horizontal. Thanks for all the replies.

damascus
    Free Member

Have a look at the empty sealant bottle. Does it have a load of sediment at the bottom?

You really need to shake the stuff to get it mixed in before you put it in the tyres

konanige

use oko linseal from your local agricultural centre, doesn’t go off over time. if tyre takes a few hours to go down just keep pumping up and riding it will seal eventually.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘quick tubeless question’ is closed to new replies.