Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Quick question on road brakes, as I'm a bit confused……
  • robdob
    Free Member

….here goes – Whats the difference between a front and rear caliper on a road bike? I have the opportunity to get a bargain Ultegra brake but I can only get rear brakes – will one fit on the front of my bike too? I have carbon forks on my Specialized Secteur (2010).

Cheers everyone!

grim168
    Free Member

Longer bolt that goes through bridge ?

JoB
    Free Member

the rear has a shorter mounting bolt, and some rear brakes are made mechanically less powerful than the front to prevent skidding

wwaswas

"to prevent skidding"

they take all the fun out of life…

robdob
    Free Member

the rear has a shorter mounting bolt,

Could I buy a new bolt to put it on the front?

and some rear brakes are made mechanically less powerful than the front to prevent skidding

That seems like a spectacularly dumb idea, but I can see it happening…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That seems like a spectacularly dumb idea, but I can see it happening…

No campag always did it (well since dual pivot brakes were invented), shimano brought it in on the current* DA.

Single pivot brakes weigh less (1 combined pivot & bolt Vs 2 and a lot more aluminium), so why not shed 50g from the calliper?

It's a bit like mountianbikes, very few people run the same rotors front and back, XC racers run 160/140, trail bikes 180/160, dh bikes 200/180.

*pun intended

JoB
    Free Member

"Could I buy a new bolt to put it on the front?"

i'm sure you could, but knowing how much Mr Shimano doesn't like people taking his components apart too much…..

"That seems like a spectacularly dumb idea, but I can see it happening… "

maybe i should rephrase it by saying some people found the new dual-pivot rear brakes too powerful so they made them less efficient again

cynic-al
    Free Member

I run 200mm on the back of my rig for max skiddage.

Macavity
    Free Member

The allen key fitting type nut (that fits into the counterbore hole in the back of the forks) that screws onto the stud/mounting bolt, can be bought separately in different lengths. Some companies (Sram) supply 3 or 4 lengths of nut with their brakes. Your LBS should have a selection.

robdob
    Free Member

I run 200mm on the back of my rig for max skiddage.

U R awsum wikkid, nuf respek.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Quick question on road brakes, as I'm a bit confused……’ is closed to new replies.