Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Quick network question…
  • gravitysucks
    Free Member

5 computers hooked into a LAN are only showing as 10mbps connection on the computer end and the switch end, where as the NAS and Printer are both showing 100mbps hooked into the same network.

Will the slow speed be likely down to the network cables on the computers (prob 7 years old Cat 5) or the Network Card on the computers? (although these are supposed to be gb Lan direct on the motherboard)

loco_pollo
    Free Member

Some cheap switches can only support 10mbps FD if there are a number of devices plugged in. What happens if you plug just one in at a time?

uplink
    Free Member

Have you looked at the config for the NICs?

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Not a cheap switch so thats not the issue, config on NIC has limited options. Thats on windows 7 / Vista drivers though. Drivers direct from Asus don’t want to load.

bomba
    Free Member

Cat 5, no matter what age, will support 100Mb. That leaves the config both ends.

Both are likely set as auto-neg, so try setting one, or preferably both, to use 100Mb.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

if the cards are set to autonegotiate, try manually setting them. Try 100 Mb/s half dup if full dup doesn’t work.
    If you can’t, can you set the switch ports to 100 Mb/s? If one end is fixed, the other should follow if it can

gravitysucks
    Free Member

cheers guys i’ll have a play. I did try setting the nic to full dup 100 but it lcoked out. I’ll try half dup or play with the switch

Cougar

Either, both ends (switch and NIC) need to be set to auto-negotiate speed and duplex, or both ends need to be manually set.

If you have one fixed up and one on auto, it’ll connect at 10mbps / half duplex (assuming it connects at all), which I suspect is your problem.

Cougar

You can rule out cable faults easily enough – swap out the cable with the known-good one on the printer. Can’t see it being than myself, but stranger things have happened.

mancjon
    Free Member

Cougar is spot on. If you hardcode one end and not the other then it won’t work. That may well be why your NIC locked up.

Switches, by definition, should be capable of full duplex so don’t bother with half duplex. Hardcode both ends to be 100full and it should all work okay.

brassneck

If you have Gb capability at BOTH ends, switch port and NIC, you should set both sides to Auto/Auto, that’s the IEE standard, to get Gb.

If the NICs are Gb and the switch is 100/Full, you’ll need to set both ends to be 100/Full as above.

boblo
    Free Member

Isn’t this a slow network question? 🙂

Cougar

That’s very politically incorrect of you, we prefer the term “differently packetised” these days.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

ok i’ve tried the above without success. The Switch is a netgear GS608 and is set to auto neg as standard and you can’t change that. It is a GB switch though so should cope with all speeds. Its seems to be working fine for the printer and NAS at full GB just not on the NIC’s (all the same motherboard).

Any other suggestions??? setting the NIC to full 100 just crashes the connection.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Quick network question…’ is closed to new replies.