Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Quick Garmin battery question. Possible suplementary Strava question
  • andrewh
    Free Member

Hello,
    I have a Garmin 200, generally very happy with it, basic but easy to use.
    The battery in it will last 12-14 hours.
    If I’m doing a longer race (got a 15hr one, 3 24hrs and a few 12hrs which will be cutting it fine) can I attach an external USB battery? When I have it plugged in to my computer it won;t respond to anything. If I plug a battery in will it just charge the gadget but not allow it ton continue operating while it’s doing it or will it work as normal?
    If I can’t us ethe extra battery is there a way of merging rides on Strava? Say I do 10hrs on one Garmin, then 5hrs on anaother, can I join the two together when I upload them? And if so how?
    Thanks
    Andy

bokonon
    Free Member

GPX files are really simple – merging them is a case of copy and paste: http://www.ehow.com/how_7314918_join-gpx-files.html

Just tried to charge mine from my back up battery, no problems with it charging whilst switched on normally, Garmin have an external power pack for this reason.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Search for modifying usb cable.

The garmin back up batterys cable has a dead pin – normal usb cables send power on one pin that puts the gwrmin to sleep for data transfer. You dont want this.

Some audaxers being tight wads cause the garmin pack is expensive and many of them had old hack pscks set upf ro their 6 and 795s that didnt do this when plugged in. Look on yacf

Jason
    Free Member

I use a Mobile Juice Pack http://www.amazon.co.uk/PowerGen-External-sensation-Thunderbolt-Blackberry/dp/B005VBNW2G

It works fine on a Garmin 800 without having to modify the cables. The connections aren’t waterproof so it needs a bit of thought if it looks wet. I used it at Exposure24 last year, and when it was charging put the Garmin and BatteryPack into a waterproof triathlon style top tube bag for a couple of hours while it recharged.

andrewh
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Especially Trailrat, think he has the answer.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Quick Garmin battery question. Possible suplementary Strava question’ is closed to new replies.