Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Quick buy a Hoover
  • sandwicheater

Thanks, just purchased 17. That should see me out.

footflaps

Does seem a bit of a pointless regulation, if your vacuum has less suck, you just spend longer hoovering, so total power used will be unchanged.

WackoAK
    Free Member

Does seem a bit of a pointless regulation

Not really, if it makes them more efficient then all the better.

Dyson has got a point regarding landfill of bags though.

nedrapier

Yup, and even more time hoovering come 2017, when they’ll have to be less than 900W. And will they be more than twice as durable? probably not, so you’ll have to replace them more often.

where’s that rolly-eyes emoticon?

Edit: 🙄

sandwicheater

Or you can come to me. I’ll sort you right out!

scaredypants

somebody’ll start selling them as ventilation fans or something – like the 100w bulb story that I hope is true 🙂

footflaps

Not really, if it makes them more efficient then all the better.

If that was the case then the directive should have specified an Air Watt per Electrical Watt minimum at a percentage dust bag fill………

dooosuk
    Free Member

It’s not just Hoover’s being banned…the regs apply to all vacuum manufacturers 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

An example of pointless and counterproductive interference from the EU.

In the future if I want a high powered vacuum I’ll buy one from outside the EU. FWIW I recently bought a supposed high powered 900W vacuum and it’s rubbish, it needs more power.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

You gotta be kiddin’!!!
    That really is pointless beurocracy at its best.
    In fact I’d go so far as to say that it really sucks, or maybe not 🙄

nemesis
    Free Member

Does anyone know whether more efficient motors can make up the power deficit? If so, then presumably that’s what they’re driving at.

rene59
    Free Member

I don’t have a hoover but what’s next? Are they going to limit the size of tv screens or computer displays? Limit power of kettles, microwaves or electric ovens? Seems strange to target the hoover. Is this the start of a wider programme?

footflaps

Is this the start of a wider programme?

It’s been going on for years, car emissions, light bulbs, energy ratings on fridges etc

mrhoppy

There’s no point anyway, mine just gathers dust.

nemesis
    Free Member

Are they going to limit the size of tv screens or computer displays?

More likely that they’d limit the power consumption which would force companies to provide more energy efficient products if they still want to provide large screens.

Except of course that 60+” TVs are a basic human right 🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

Or you can come to me. I’ll sort you right out!

Are running a hoover chop shop? I can imagine back street shops selling Hoovers with huge motors, “suck the nails out of the floor with this bad boy”

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Ta

ordered the one I was thinking of. 2200w of german suction designed to last 20 years… Should see me out 😛

GrahamS

So are we seeing the beginning of the end of the hoover as status symbol? 😉

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Does anyone know whether more efficient motors can make up the power deficit? If so, then presumably that’s what they’re driving at.

I hope you’re not hinting that we should all get some facts before forming an opinion.

jp-t853

This is good news. Too many people associate a more powerful motor with better performance. A vacuum cleaner is all about air flow so this will force manufacturers to focus on design to do the job and not a sticker that says 2200w.

I work for a company that manufactures vacuum cleaners and contract cleaners have been buying excellent 900w machines for a few years now.

root
    Free Member

Henry all day

johndoh
    Free Member

There’s no point anyway, mine just gathers dust.

That might have been funny if Tim Vine hadn’t just won the Edinburgh Fringe Festival Best Joke of the Year Award with the same joke two days ago 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

if your vacuum has less suck, you just spend longer hoovering, so total power used will be unchanged.

Not necessarily. Do you hoover to a predetermined level of dust left in the carpet? I doubt it!

deluded
    Free Member

Edit. Didn’t see johndo’s post.

boxelder

EU directive………led by the Slovacks…
    IGMC

GrahamS

Henry all day

Yeah it is probably worth pointing out that the much-revered Henry has a 580 W motor
    http://www.numatic.co.uk/products4.aspx?id=366

And even their Commercial Grade ones are well below 1600W.

Likewise none of the Dysons are affected.

root
    Free Member

Yeah it is probably worth pointing out that the much-revered Henry has a 580 W motor

Didn’t know that tbh, all I know is that it’s the best vacuum cleaner i’ve owned by a million miles (and i’ve had dysons, ‘high power’ hoovers etc etc.)

cbike
    Free Member

20 year old second hand 500watt Oreck vindicated! Looks like ****. sucks like ****! 🙂

project
    Free Member

and end of year you cant buy or import a diesel locomotive,unless it has all sorts of fancy expensive anti pollution stuff fitted, but 45 year old ones are ok as theyre being brought back to life,because nobody has a stock of the newer ones for sale or lease.

garage-dweller

Woohoo Henry survives. The only thing to vacuum up all the crap from my car.

molgrips
    Free Member

Henrys are shit.

wilburt
    Free Member

Damn that meddling EU lot another law that’s good for you.

CountZero

molgrips – Member
    Henrys are shit.

Mary, Mary, quite contrary…

toppers3933
    Free Member

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1akPFNW1c6c[/video]

keng38
    Free Member

The reason behind this issue is several young Italian Men are being admitted to hospital with dick injuries.
    The lesser suction will reduce the amount of hospital admissions.

doof_doof
    Free Member

The reason behind this issue is several young Italian Men are being admitted to hospital with dick injuries.
    The lesser suction will reduce the amount of hospital admissions.

Mumma Miele!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

My product design lecturer and head of the design school worked for Electrolux for years. Two thing he say:

1) IT’S NOT A HOOVER IT IS A VACUUM CLEANER
    2) It’s about airflow, powerful motors are just wasteful and bad airflow design. Henry is an example of that.

ahwiles
    Free Member

1600W?!

in a vacuum cleaner?!

**** me.

the best vacuum cleaners have a rotating brush, rated at around 200W, which shakes the carpet a little, allowing the dust, etc. to be gently sucked away.

totaly power : around 700 W.

try a vorwerk, or a sebo.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Quick buy a Hoover’ is closed to new replies.