Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Question for Manitou 20mm axle/Hope Pro 2 owners…
  • awesom-o
    Free Member

I have a set of 2010 Minute 29er forks and hope pro 2 hub and have recently fitted a set of formula The One brakes. My question is regarding caliper/rotor alignment. With the Formula 203mm rotor bolted directly to the pro2 hub the slotted mounts on the caliper don’t have anywhere near enough adjustment range to center the caliper over the rotor. Since the forks use post mounts I can’t shim out the caliper mount adapter (post mount sucks BTW!, why can’t they just stick with IS? :?) So basically I’ve had to shim out the rotor. I found some nifty one piece rotor shims in Germany that are much easier than putting individual shims under each of the 6 rotor holes but to get the rotor spaced out enough so that it’s roughly centered with the side-side adjustment range of the caliper mounts I need to shim it out about 1.2mm which I think is quite a lot really.

I borrowed a mates wheel which is a Sun Ringle hub with a superstar rotor bolted straight up to the hub with no shims and that sits right in the middle of the calipers side to side adjustment range perfectly.

Does anyone else have this problem?

This question follows on from another niggly issue I’m trying to sort out. I’m getting an annoying rotor rub only at moderate speed. I’m not sure if you’d call it a resonating sound but it’s like a metallic, rythmic rubbing noise. I’ve tried 2 brand new formula 203 rotors and centered the caliper perfectly using 2 feeler gauges through the rotor slots with the pads removed etc.

Even with the brand new rotor fitted, one small section of the rotor barely touches one pad on each revolution when spinning the wheel slowly as if the rotor is slightly out of true (or the hub surface?). About 0-5mph it’s quiet, 5-20mph it drives me nuts but anything faster and it stops again. Pulling the brake slightly stops the noise immediately without actually slowing the bike down. The caliper has the factory sintered pads fitted and both pistons are protruding an even amount from each side. The hub is only a few months old and I can’t detect any play in the bearings at all and wheel feels solid with it’s bolted up in the fork

Any ideas?

julianwilson
    Free Member

A couple of mates have pro2 fron hubs and never heard of this. The only thing that springs to mind is the 20mm adapters: pro2 adapters and older bulb adapters look similar but are actually different widths; are you sure you have the right set of 20mm adapters on the hub? Correct ones for pro2 are the same width each whereas bulb ones were wider on one side and slimmer on the other. If the wheel was built up with those adapters on, then that would explain it being correctly dished in the fork lowers but not lining up with the disc mount/caliper.

Otherwise it may be worth giving Hope a ring in the week for advice. (excellent aftersales support 🙂 )

johnners
    Free Member

Post Mount is excellent, 1.2mm does not sound that much, you can buy these without going to Germany and it sounds as if either your new disk is warped or your wheel isn’t seated right in the fork. Or the fork is misaligned somehow.

awesom-o
    Free Member

I bought the adapters new from an ebay seller, they said pro2 on the label but I’ll check the widths to be sure.

I must have been searching using the wrong key words when I was looking for rotor spacers…I thought I had looked fairly thoroughly and I had searched CRC but clearly not well enough…. thanks for the link. The ones I ordered from germany are pretty much the same thing except they remove more of the material in between the holes and are 0.2mm wide each.

I just don’t see the point of post mount, IMO spacing is much easier with IS as you’re only dealing with 2 bolts/shims instead of 6 and if you happen to damage a caliper bolt thread you can just replace the adapter instead of getting a new set of lowers (or a helicoil etc)…

thanks for the replies anyway…

awesom-o
    Free Member

just removed and measured the hope 20mm adapters, they’re exactly the same size…looks like I’ll have to stick with the rotor shims and try another rotor…I guess it’s possible that I received 2 rotors that are slightly out of true?… It would have been nice to eliminate the shims as a possible contributor to the rotor noise…it seems a bit odd that the sun Ringle hub lines up nicely with no shims… I suppose the offsets are slightly different?…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Question for Manitou 20mm axle/Hope Pro 2 owners…’ is closed to new replies.