• This topic has 60 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by juan.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Question for experienced motorcyclists ONLY
  • winston
    Free Member

Would you learn to ride a motorbike now in the UK?

I have riden a cycle on the road for 35 years all over the world, done thousands of miles and now ride a folder in central London as well as 8 miles in country lanes sevaral days a week – I also ride mountainbikes offroad etc. I feel I know the risks and can keep myself out of harms way mostly with choice of bike, clothing and road skills. Could get hit but then could get knocked off the pavement by a drunk driver too.

But recently I’ve had a midlife crisis stylee itch for a motorbike and also appreciate the green/time saving/cost or petrol attributes of biking too when commuting. So I have a 125 arriving on Saturday. However I’m concious that whilst experianced sensible motorcyclists probably feel like I do on a bicycle, they might be looking at a new biker now and thinking hmmmmm probably not a good idea mate! If you can’t do it properly now then the South East in 2012 ain’t the place to start…..is this what you are thinking?

weeksy

Perfectly good plan mate in all honesty.

Learn to ride in a SAFE position on the road, don’t hug the gutter, you have rights to be there too.

Can’t imagine why you’re thinking like this.

I’ve been riding down south for 12 years, i’m an experienced racer and trackdayer too.

chives
    Free Member

Or you could die terribly in a tragic gardening accident.. Seriously WTF?? Do it – first time on a busy high street with people crossing without looking / opening car doors in your path etc will scare you, but it’s all relative. And really really good fun.

Northwind

I wouldn’t hesitate.

(disclaimer- I’ve stopped riding, but not because I felt it was unsafe, I just stopped enjoying it much and mountain biking took over, and my short commute’s easily cycled)

Onzadog
    Free Member

Up until a few years ago, I taught motorcycling. I feel safer on a bike than I do in a car. However, I feel safer on a bigger bike than I do on a 125. Learn to see trouble coming. With a bigger bike, it’s easier to not be there when trouble arrives.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Now you’re middle aged your sense of self preservation and knowledge of pain are most likely pretty well developed. I’d be more concerned about a young rider. Get professional training or at least some supervision and advice from someone experienced and build your confidence somewhere quiet.
    Lots of motorcyclists don’t die on their bikes.

ajantom

I’d imagine you would be fine, as a cyclist you’ll automatically be more aware of road position, safety, etc. than most car drivers.

I’d also recommend signing up as an IAM associate. Some people are a bit down on the IAM, but IMHO the course really helps out if you’re a beginner, and also reinforces good practice for more experienced riders.

pudd
    Free Member

I’ve been playing with motor cycles since age 13. and whilst the roads are as dangerous as they’ve ever been, conversely training is as good as it gets as is bike technology.
    ABS brakes, air bags, really well made helmets and leathers are all now available for two wheeled fun.

jota180
    Free Member

I wouldn’t think twice about it, you already have the street-wise savvy needed for push-bike riding on busy roads.
    You’ll probably take to it like a duck takes to water

rocketman
    Free Member

Have been doing it since 1978 apart from 4 years bikeless in the late 90s. Nothing has changed much every other vehicle is still a lethal weapon and I never commit to any manoeuvre without having an escape Plan B and a Plan C etc

Look at everything and take it all in. Things change quickly on a motorbike at speed but nothing happens instantaneously there is always a clue a sign that something is about to happen.

stanley

Yeah, go for it.
    Ride with confidence and defensively…. ie. take a good position on the road and assume that you haven’t been seen.
    Get some training.
    As above; tyres, brakes, etc. are all so much better these days too.

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

Same as onzadog, but still instructing now. Find a good school and youre sorted. Any and all extra training is valuable post DAS.

druidh
    Free Member

Absolutely. What are you worrying about?

winston
    Free Member

Thanks for the sensible replies and to be honest I’ll be giving it a go whatever as I tend to be pretty singleminded – just wish I’d sorted out my licence ages ago before all the changes.

First thing I’ve noticed is the bike shops are absolutely brilliant – I can’t remember the last time I went into a shop and the staff took a pride in their work – been to two motorbike shops in the last couple of weeks and they were both exceptional on service

ajantom

First thing I’ve noticed is the bike shops are absolutely brilliant – I can’t remember the last time I went into a shop and the staff took a pride in their work – been to two motorbike shops in the last couple of weeks and they were both exceptional on service

Yes, most motorbike dealerships put most bike shops to shame (not all, but a great majority). Could be something to do with the higher cost of motorbikes though.

winston
    Free Member

Not sure about the cost issue – try a car showroom for a masterclass in how not to understand your product or the person you are trying to sell it to!

But yes the stuff sure is more expensive than cyling gear – just spent 240 quid on a helmet, most i’ve ever spent on a cycle lid is £35!

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Don’t underestimate how much extra kit you’ll have to wear over cycling to stay warm when you’re not supplying the motive force.

br
    Free Member

Question

The car in front has its right indicator on, what is the only information you should take from this?

Answer

The indicator works…

Do it, ridden for +30 years, including 20k commuting into West London last year. But m/c’s are easier to ride when they are bigger, but not too big 🙂

Buy a new helmet, good gloves/boots and a decent textile 2-piece suit.

But as a long-term cyclist you already know that the ‘tin-tops’ are out to get us!

porter_jamie

been riding here since 1988. go for it, and get lots of training.

other things:
    i never ride without some kind of back protector. i find fabric clothing lots more practical than leather, and the goretex stuff is waterproof. sportsbikes really dont make very good road bikes, they are very uncomfortable and make my back hurt.

fourbanger
    Free Member

You’ll tune into it after you start riding a bit. Sounds cheesy, but the motorbike just becomes an extension of you, probably like you feel with your bicycle. Cars take you more seriously on a motorbike than a bicycle, but they still don’t see you. Be assertive, create your own bubble and guard it. Don’t go looking for trouble like the helmet cam warriors as it’ll happen quicker than you can react. Turn riding smoothly, making progress and being safe into a game you play every time you swing a leg.
    Go for it!

thepodge
    Free Member

Get rid of the 125 would be my advice

500+ cc bikes tent to have better everything all round plus are generally cheaper to buy and to insure

Just do your direct access course.

Then buy my bike off me so I can start my cafe racer project

pjm84
    Free Member

Get rid of the 125 would be my advice

the motorbike just becomes an extension of you

Be assertive, create your own bubble and guard it

totally agree 100%

kevin1911

I’m no experienced motor cyclist, so apologies. I also have had this middle-aged itch for a few years now, and reckon I could get right into motorcycles, as much as I got right into cycling when I was 14…

But, my wife works in a neuro ward at the local hospital and has lost count of the number of people who have been in similar situations and have done themselves a debilitating injury.

For that reason, I decided against it. Decided to focus on getting faster on an MTB for my thrills, although only seem to be getting slower…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had a 50/125 at 16/17 then let it lapse for a few years (till 23) before doing the direct access, which I failed (not entirely my fault, basicly I didn’t overtake a granny doing 40 on a DC <mile from my roundabout, could have reacted better, if the situation had developed differently I’d have passed but I ended up trying to overtake and got stuck with a stream of rush hour coming up behind me and overtaking meaning no gaps to pull into).

Didn’t go back as the school was crap and the schoo bikes even worse.

2 years later as the MOD1 and theory are abbout to expire I book it again and a couple of mornign lessons with a different school. Much better bikes, better instructors and doing the test in a different town (Darlington Vs Oxford) was interesting. The instructor said he was happy with my riding and would ride that way AFTER the test, but for the sake of doing the test in a smaller town with way less trafic I should ride more to the letter of the law and stop at give way lines to wait for bigger gaps rather than keep rolling unless absolutely neccecary, rather than the southern way of riding to avoid stoping, the southern instructors logic being that if your stopped at a give way line you’re likely to be hit by the guy coing up behind.

Come the test the examiner was in a car, so I went back to the old way reasoning that if there was a bike sized gap and he was way back then he wouldnt be able to see any mistakes at the next junction. Passed with 1 minor.

Having just moved back to Reading, I can confirm that people south of Watford can’t drive for s***. I’m scared in a 5* rated car let alone a bike! the standard of driving is jsut appaling, waitign at a roundabout this morning, in about 10 cars coming round all either indicated that they were turning off, then didn’t (almost resultign in me pulling otu infront of them), or didn’t indicate that they were turning off and did (so I could have pulled out).

winston
    Free Member

Don’t have time for a DAC – can;t take time off work and weekends are already spoken for.

Have theory test done already

So plan is to commute once/twice a week to practice riding and take my restricted 125 test before Jan 19th (when the rules change) That way I can ride a 33bhp bike for two years and then anything without further testing or cost. Will prob keep 125 for a year then flog it to buy a restricted 600

fourbanger
    Free Member

Come the test the examiner was in a car, so I went back to the old way reasoning that if there was a bike sized gap and he was way back then he wouldnt be able to see any mistakes at the next junction. Passed with 1 minor.

“If he’s in a car try and lose him” said my examiner! 😆

weeksy

Aprilia RS125 🙂

yodagoat
    Free Member

I agree with what thepodge says. A bigger bike like an ER5/CB500/sv650 etc will feel much better and safer.

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

“Got a 125 arriving on Saturday.”

Stupid question but, You have done your CBT haven’t you??

thepodge
    Free Member

You’re going about it all wrong

Get proper training

Teaching yourself you’re far more likely to pick up bad habits

Getting a bigger bike after two years again without proper training is statistically the quickest way of putting yourself in hospital.

winston
    Free Member

I wouldn’t buy a bigger bike without a couple of weekends training – surely plenty of people buy 125’s and learn to ride first? Thats how my dad and his brothers did it

Digger90
    Free Member

Anyone having a mid-life motorcycle crisis and not getting a Harley-Davidson just isn’t taking it seriously! 😀

I’ve had two (does this mean I’ve had 2 mid-life crises?).. rode them around for a 2-3 years, got very nearly taken out by cars on 3 occasions.

Sold Harleys, back to MTBs, road bikes, Cyclocross. Much less dangerous.

thepodge
    Free Member

The difference between full throttle on my old 500 and my new 600 was 50mph

The smallest lapse of concentration the first time out on it saw me doing 120mph down the local dual carriageway. Luckily it was perfectly straight and up hill so backing off was easy.

Now consider if that’d have been between a 125 and a 600

I’d prefer to wait & take time off work now than be forced to take time off and spend it in hospital

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Now consider if that’d have been between a 125 and a 600

I had a CG125, you could do full throttle mid corner with no repercusions (other than a worn footpeg)!

cupra
    Free Member

Interesting question as I am currently thinking of selling the motorbike and all the kit. It is / was used as a toy but I must confess that the volume of traffic and consequences are reasons I am thinking of packing it in.

If I was 25 now I would probably do it all again but looking at relative costs, time available and consequences of enjoying myself I think it will probably go.

Ticklinjock

I was in a similar situation last year. Did the tests over the winter, bought an SV650. Went with a local trainer with a good rep and at times I thought I should’ve got a 125 so I could get more practice between lessons. He said that would be worse because its harder to correct the bad habits I would pick up. Now I’ve had all spring/summer learning to ride proper and really enjoying it, although in North Scotland I’m blessed with very quiet roads in comparison though.

juan
    Free Member

Oh I was going to reply, but then I noticed the “experienced only” so I might not be experienced enough 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

just wish I’d sorted out my licence ages ago before all the changes.

Yes. That’s the only negative I agree. But that training is there for a reason and better training for riders has improved safety, no doubt about it. So it’s swings and roundabouts really

I passed my test about 16 years ago in my mid 20s and I wished then I’d have done it earlier and nothing has changed since then
    In fact, I’d be more tempted to start riding now if anything, it’s just the best way to travel.

pipnet1
    Free Member

I’ve been riding 7 years. I pretty much echo the points everyone has made. Buy the best helmet you can afford, textile gear is better than leather (and cheaper), and bigger bikes are far easier to ride than little ones.

Biggest bit of advice I was given (by my dad) was that “Everybody knows the best thing about a motorbike is going fast, but only do it when the only person you can hurt/kill is you.” Simplified ‘don’t be a tit’

Pip

juan
    Free Member

Buy the best helmet you can afford, textile gear is better than leather (and cheaper), and bigger bikes are far easier to ride than little ones.

Ok in this case best = best fitted, there is no difference between a 150£ Casberg and a 800£ Arai protection wise, they all pass the same tests.

I am not sure what is a “bigger” bike, but as a first bike, I wouldn’t go bigger than 500 CC. If you get something with more than 50 bhp, you’ll start using the throttle way to much and use it as a skill compensator. Better to start riding with a smallish bike and learn to corner and brake properly.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Question for experienced motorcyclists ONLY’ is closed to new replies.