Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime
  • rascal
    Free Member

Listening to it for first time in at least 15 years.
    What a brilliant piece of work – not bad for 27 years old.
    Bit dated now but still sounds awesome – and very cleverly put together.

Jesus – I remember buying it on vinyl – that makes me feel ancient!

footflaps

Still have the LP somewhere, now just listen on Spotify…

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i remember buying it on vinyl when it came out.

i also remember selling it, along with 800+ other rock/metal LPs in the late 90s, and still regret doing that to this day. a little bit.

rascal
    Free Member

‘Blistering of earth, terminate it’s worth, deadly nic-o-teen, kills what might have been’
    Want to put black on and shake my head like a Hetfield -mo-fo.
    And get a wig.

Now on another classic ’88 album – ‘…And Justice For All’ – which I still have on vinyl.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

again, another that went the journey…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Tape for me!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Revolution calling, revolution calliinngg

Proper Rock album, glad I was there when it first got released and I too replayed it only a few months ago, an absence of at least 10 years from listening to it..

\m/

😆

carlosg
    Free Member

My copy is sat in the attic with all my other vinyl , I don’t even have a turntable anymore but can’t bring myself to sell any of it (apart from the Iron Maiden ‘fear of the dark’ album that I got nearly £70 for on ebay)

mattbee

Oddly enough I listened to this on Tuesday on my way to work. Had forgotten how great it was.

footflaps

apart from the Iron Maiden ‘fear of the dark’ album that I got nearly £70 for on ebay

Really?

I gave a load of Iron Maiden LPs and EPs to the charity shop only last month!

carlosg
    Free Member

1st edition pressing , the only reason it got sold is we were short of cash and saw what it was worth.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Brilliant album. I was really young when I got I to rock and metal…an uncle used to give me tapes. I’ve never looked back!

‘Blistering of earth, terminate it’s worth, deadly nic-o-teen, kills what might have been’
    Want to put black on and shake my head like a Hetfield -mo-fo.
    And get a wig.

Now on another classic ’88 album – ‘…And Justice For All’ – which I still have on vinyl.

Sod the wig…it’s all about the undercut a la Newstead. And the gurn.

lovewookie

Mindcrime is a great album, I got turned on to it by the late Tommy Vance on Friday rock show, they were the first big gig I went to when I was 16, on the Empires tour.

andysbikeclinic
    Free Member

Fab album. Bought it on CD (not vinyl…I know, I’m a luddite). Then, having seen them play the album from start to finish at Aston Villa Leisure Centre in about 1990, I grabbed the Operation Livecrime CD and VHS combo. Happy days.

bigbeard
    Free Member

Since buying a car with a tape player in it, my 8 year old lad always demands I put on my pretty ropey copy of this!

Cougar

I had “Empire” on a dodgy copy for years (being able to hire CDs for 50p from the library was a hugh boost to my music collection when I was a povvy student), finally bit the bullet and bought the CD a couple of years ago.

I’d always heard people saying Mindcrime was their stand-out album, but never managed to track it down. Then it popped up on Spotify so I finally got to hear it. And, my goodness, it’s a bit good isn’t it.

Maybe we need an “I’ve been listening to the wrong album all these years” thread…

footflaps

I’d always heard people saying Mindcrime was their stand-out album

Yep, never really got into anything else they did.

Freester

Saw Queensryche in 90/91 just after Empire got released. Did a mix of Mindcrime / Empire tracks. Awesome.

They had a BIG fallout a few years back. Geoff Tate fell out with the remaining band members. Still a lot of litigation etc flying around about WHO is allowed to still perform as Queensrhyche. Which is a shame.

Anyone got Mindcrime II? Always wondered if it’s worth a punt.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Wookie, I heard them on Tommy Vance as well and bought the album the next day. Its one of the few vinyl records that I’ve still got.

Dobbo

Wow, a great record from the past. I’ll be giving a play now….

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTqv59JXMUk[/video]

ji
    Free Member

Saw them touring this in 88 or 89 at the Hammersmith Odeon (as it was in those days). Never heard anything by them before as I went with a friend. Been one of my favourite albums ever since

rascal
    Free Member

Thought the thread would bomb without trace!
    Pleased to see a lot of love for it…gonna listen to it again today 😀

Dobbo

@ 16:54 pleased to report it’s as good as i remember…..

nbt

Still listen to it from time to time. Saw it performed in full at Bradford ST George’s hall in about 91/92? Dokken supporting. Great night.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Operation Mindcrime… You know, just for those that can’t find Google… 😀

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAI2QOBMlTA[/video]

mikey74
    Free Member

Operation: Livecrime is a great live version as well.

rascal
    Free Member

Looking at that clip, I think it’s fair to say their sound has aged better than their look.
    Leather, big hair and Geoff Tate’s ponytail – it was the 80s after all 😉

addy6402

OpMC and Empire are both great albums of their time. There’s more ‘colour’ to Empire but the writing, playing and production on both are excellent. I’ll have to dig them out this weekend now!

lovewookie

to be honest, I did get hold of stuff beyond empire, and I really like rage for order as a stand alone.

Have queen of the Reich EP too somewhere..

Promised land was good, darker than the others and I wondered where they were going, but hear in the now frontier was balls. utter balls. it sounded similar to queensryche, but just didn’t hit the mark like the previous albums. Nothing since has been good, mindcrime II is horrible, shouldn’t even be associated with the first.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Big Queensryche fan. Mindcrime is great. Even Mindcrime 2 is a good album.

rascal
    Free Member

After listening to it again last Fri, I Youtubed (?) Suite Sister Mary live (saw it live back in the day).
    The wife piped up with a comment something along the lines of ‘it’s a bit like Meatloaf’.
    The theatrics, the blond doris with billowing hair, the story telling.
    Infinitely better than the Loaf, and I hate to admit it but she had a point! 😕

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

If you like Queensryche, take a look at Avantasia on you tube. I think its the guy who used to front Helloween but he has other frontmen singing. Its described as a Rock Opera.

mudpup
    Free Member

Mindcrime is my fave album of all time – i’m a bass player and Eddies sound on Breaking the Silence was the sound in my head. Empire is also very, very good but they started losing it after that and Chris DeGarmo leaving really killed them off. Followed Ryche since the QOTR ep was released and they were videoed in bearskins and swords and stuff 🙂

The new Queensryche with Scott LaTorre singing is pretty good but Geoff Tates version is an embarassment to the name. They even rerecorded some Empire classics on the last album and its terrible – just shows that it was the band that made it work, not just the singing.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime’ is closed to new replies.