• This topic has 11 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DJ.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Quantocks sale ..
  • singlecrack
    Free Member

So Great wood has been sold to the FC hopefully access will be the same

sharki
    Free Member

I see no bad change in terms of mtb access for the duration of FC ownership.

Infact, theres now better chance that the DH area can get properly developed and utilised. Also there is a better possibility of trails being built for other cyclists similar to that at haldon.

Maybe!

As for the other bits, well..we will see but the fight will go on.

I was at the press release and SCC really are being protective of the information they give out, despite the freedom of information act.

We were assured all access will remain as it is and whilst the FC own it I believe it will be. Though nothings guaranteed..

3bikeman
    Free Member

Somerset CC ignored the wishes of 45,000 people opposing the sale by signing petitions.
    15,000 acres in Great Wood, £250,000

The other parts are still to be sold.

With a £30,000 expenses claim from the leader of Somerset CC Ken Maddocks each year at least he will be ok for the next 8 years. As a resident of Somerset I am not sure I will see the benefits of the of the £250k.
    At least we stand a better chance of retaining access etc through FC than perhaps other private owners, Fox Tor on Dartmoor being a good example.
    It will be interesting to see who gets the rest.
    Biggest issue for me is they ignored the wishes of 45,000 people

trailmonkey

Biggest issue for me is they ignored the wishes of 45,000 people

this.

45,000 people threatening to not pay their council tax even if only for a 6 week deferment might have made them think differently.

sharki
    Free Member

Another thing that has come to light is the private sale of public land at 8 acres to a local farmer.

There appeared to be no public consultation on this.

The site is the scrub land along cockercombe road, left of the road from triscombe cp to the farm track to quantocks farm. This had been lined up to become a nature reserve..The farmer will be digging out the scrub there to make room for more grazing.

They also own cothelstone hill and although at this stage they claim to not be selling it, they did say, ” we plan to sell all our rural land, managing land is not our core business…”

It’s also come out that they tried to sell lydeard hill car park, which they don’t even own! LOL

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

It’s also come out that they tried to sell lydeard hill car park, which they don’t even own! LOL

I reckon if the person at the council responsible for making these decisions still has a granny she must be very worried person right now 😆

I suppose if this had to happen its gone to the best buyer but the fact that the council has just stuck 2 fingers up to all the people opposed to the sale and done it anyway is a bit worrying 😕

Anyway, i’m off up there now 😀

oldnpastit

£250k?

Couldn’t we have organized a whip-round on STW?

noteeth
    Free Member

What is so laughable is Huxtable’s insistence – ad nauseum – that such measures are necessary, because “times are tough”… and then they raise a measly £250K.

julianwilson
    Free Member

The point was less about raising revenue: Huxtable wanted access to greater areas of the ‘tox for his hunting mates. (I couldn’t tell you who I heard that from though. 😉 ) Whether or not the new owners of Great Wood want to grant access for his hunting mates is another question. 😆

noteeth
    Free Member

Whatever his reasons, he’s made himself look like an arrogant tool.

Hopefully that will be reflected in any future poll. 😈

sharki
    Free Member

Huxtable has been heard to say(my own ears) it’s not about the money and that it is about the money.

So it’s pretty certain it really is about doing whatever they want.

The Quantock land is classed as a minor asset, which means it’s ok for ONE person to decide on it’s future.

DJ
    Free Member

Thorncombe Woods aand Customs Common are up for sale next. In my opinion I don’t think the sale of land to the FC will matter, it will probably even benefit us in the long term in terms of riding. Although, I’n not convinced that I want a trail centre. Maybe if it’s just in the Great Wood area it would be okay as that gets busy in the summer anyway.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Quantocks sale ..’ is closed to new replies.