Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • QR 29" Rear Wheel for less than £100 ?
  • grannyjone
    Free Member

The rear wheel on my Spec Crave 2015 has broke. The bike mechanic says it’s the spindle causing the issues and that I need a replacement. All wheels I’ve looked at so far are expensive. I’ve just spent £200 on a Rear wheel for my FS and don’t want to spend that much again. Is it possible to get anything worthwhile for less than £100 or will it just break in no time ? It is mainly for XC use.

Poopscoop

On One had a deal on recently but can’t remember if the hub was QR, or if it was convertible?

Might be worth a look.

cp
    orangeboy
    Free Member

What’s actually broken on your current wheel

tomhoward

Is this the same mechanic that tells you to replace everything, even if it’s fixable? As above, what is actually wrong with it?

grannyjone
    Free Member

A pair for a hundred quid:-

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WBI25EGRS/wtb-st-i25-tcs-rim-on-el-guapo-rattlesnake-hubs

I think the Freehub is 11 Speed so it wouldn’t be compatible with my 10 Speed Drive train ?

grannyjone
    Free Member

Is this the same mechanic that tells you to replace everything, even if it’s fixable? As above, what is actually wrong with it?

What’s actually broken on your current wheel

He mentioned the Spindle is knackered. How it effects the riding ? It makes the cassette move around which makes the gears perform horribly. Plus it makes a lot of noise when coasting. I don’t know anything about it other than that.

thomthumb
    Free Member

says it’s the spindle

what’s the spindle?

there is an axle and a qr skewer.

cp

I think the Freehub is 11 Speed so it wouldn’t be compatible with my 10 Speed Drive train ?

it will work fine, the mounting splines on mtb 10 and 11 speed are the same length.

Road 11 speed is a bit longer but the hub usually comes with a spacer to run road 10.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Not sure myself. I’m only going off what he was telling me. I’ll ask next time I see him, in a few days.

Poopscoop

Might be the freewheel is faulty?

Anyway, as said your cassette will fit the above wheel fine.

grannyjone
    Free Member

It turns out the front wheel won’t fit as mine isn’t a 15mm through bolt its more like the quick release like the rear. Is there a way to convert it ? I know I’m only after a Rear Wheel replacement but I don’t want to be buying a Front wheel that’s not compatible.

zigzag69
    Free Member

Possibly these – 9mm QR front?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WSELSEC/replacement-end-cap-pair-for-el-guapo—selcof-hub

Would want to check with them first.

cp

yeah it’s those – in 9mm qr front

grannyjone
    Free Member

Thanks. A set of those has been ordered.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘QR 29" Rear Wheel for less than £100 ?’ is closed to new replies.