Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Putting shelves around the bit that's left when you take a wall down…
  • stevied
    Free Member

We’re going to be removing a wall in the kitchen on our new house and putting an RSJ up.
    Where the upright bits are (that support the RSJ) I was thinking of making some small shelves to wrap around the upright.
    There’s going to be a breakfast bar that has the upright cut out of it so thought the shelves might be useful for condiments etc.
    My idea was to make them U shaped so we have 3-sides to use but I can’t think of a good way to fix them.
    Any ideas?
    Dodgy sketch..:

wwaswas

Floating shelf supports would be easiest I expect?

silentsi
    Free Member

How deep are they? And how much weight do they need to support?

rene59
    Free Member

Put a dado/housing into the two facing sides and a strap of wood on each side of the upright that slots into the rebate, you can then slide the shelf on.

stevied
    Free Member

That sounds like a great idea, rene 🙂

stumpy01

Yeah, depending on how deep the shelf is, I would create a rebate in the shelf & then screw battens into the wall & front edge of the pillar to slide the shelf onto. You could screw from underneath into the batten to stop the shelf from being pulled off.

I’m a bit disappointed you haven’t CNC’d some fancy wall brackets for it though! 😀

scotroutes

I was going to suggest a rebate in the wall – on all 3 sides – then just slide the shelf in.

theotherjonv

Nothing to add on the fixing side of things, but do make sure your shelves are level. In your sketch version your Tommy K is going to be sliding off with monotonous regularity 😉

joshvegas
    Free Member

You seem to have mastered inverted 2-point perspective there.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Is it to hold people’s drinks while you do your pole dancing routine?

stevied
    Free Member

I’m a bit disappointed you haven’t CNC’d some fancy wall brackets for it though!

I suppose I could CNC the bracket for the shelf to slid onto 😉

neilwheel
    Free Member

Some aluminium angle, with the leg dimension the same as the thickness of the shelf, fixed either side of post.
    Open side/mouth of the angle facing up, slide shelf on and it covers the vertical leg and fixings.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Putting shelves around the bit that's left when you take a wall down…’ is closed to new replies.