Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Pure Racing Cobra i900 Seat Post?
  • 5thElefant
    Free Member

I snapped my GD in half at SiTS so need a replacement (I've had it years so I'm not complaining).

Is anyone using the Pure Racing Cobra i900? Any good? It's a long shot but how does it compare to the GD?

Any idea on overall length? None of the shop listings or the manufacturers webs site seems to list it.

richc
    Free Member

I would hang on a bit, there is a design fault in the newer ones which means that the stanchion slider gets scratched/gouged in use.

KS have a fix, however all the parts haven't arrived yet (according to pure racing). I brought one had 5 rides, and had to send it back and I am still waiting for the replacement. 🙁

But I am hoping I get it by the weekend for the Brechfa enduro

5thElefant
    Free Member

Thanks for that. I can leave it for a few weeks. Any suggestions on where to buy one to make sure I get the updated version and not old stock?

richc
    Free Member

superstarcomponents would be the best bet as they are the importers, or leisurelakes as they didn't have any in stock so would have to order them from pure/superstar (plus do a discount).

I wouldn't bother the the French place as even though they are cheaper, you aren't guaranteed to get one with the fixed internals and I don't know what they would be like with returns

I would give it a few weeks at least though.

neil853
    Free Member

chap at Guisburn had one the other night which wasn't very old and still had play in it? no better than my maverick but then again it 25% of the price.

If Brant is reading this, we are waiting with baited breath to see if you can offer a solution to all the crap adjustable seatposts there area at the minute (including mine)

5thElefant
    Free Member

Superstar it is then, thanks.

I don't mind a bit of play, the GD had plenty and it didn't bother me. It must of had some flex too as the standard ali post I managed to pick up to complete the race felt like a jack-hammer.

richc
    Free Member

The one I had (before it died) has virtually no play, especially compared to the speedball it replaced.

mt
    Free Member

The answer is a HiRite. and stick with a normal seat post.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Hmm, mine scratched after one ride… 😳

And on the NYM ride the other week decided now was a good time to start rotating a full 360*..

Time to replace it I reckon..

5thElefant
    Free Member

What's a HiRite, can't find any references? And no, a normal seat post isn't an option once you've tried an adjustable one. I'd rather go back to rim brakes, plastic pedals and a 3-speed sturmey-archer with a crotch catching top tube mounted gear change (and ape hangers).

richc
    Free Member

Ignore him a Hi-rite is a very old solution which was basically a spring which one end attached to your post and the other to your frame.

Basically the comment is usually posted by people with little independent thought, and think pneumatic tyres will never catch on.

dropoff

Shame cannondale don't make one, the Headshock technology would be great for this.

the-muffin-man
    mt
    Free Member

It's an old idea but it works. Solid tyres, there time will come again.

mboy
    Free Member

Bought an i900 from Superstar at Moutain Mayhem, and he did me a bit of a discount for cash too. Spent quite a bit of time explaining the design to me, and how to maintain/service it and when it should be done.

So far, only had a handful of rides on it (it's not on my main bike), but I'm very impressed with it. I've tried a couple of Maverick Speedballs on other bikes in the past, and they annoyed the hell out of me cos of the slop. This has no play/slop, drops 5 inches instead of 3, seems very well put together, hasn't scratched like some other people's have, and well… Dunno what else to say other than I can wholeheartedly reccomend one if you have a bike with a 30.9 or 31.6 seatpost.

Oh, and it's 380mm there or therabouts in length. Was only JUST long enough for me on my bike, but I'm so glad it is!

5thElefant
    Free Member

380mm, cool. I'll have a measure. Luckily I've got a 31.6mm hole to stick it in.

tangobravo
    Free Member

27.2 is coming in december apparantly for the i900 im told.

Mine is rather swish and works a treat. Oh and its 400mm long

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Pure Racing Cobra i900 Seat Post?’ is closed to new replies.