Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Pulled Pork recipe inspiration needed – Carnivore content
  • benp1

I’m planning to do some pulled pork this weekend for a big family do. I’ve got 3 rolled Pork Shoulder joints which I’m going to stick in a monster sized cast iron dutch oven.

My plan is to stick it in the oven first thing in the morning so it can cook ready for lunch time

So, what recipe inspiration can you share?

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s quite tasteless so more is better when it comes to the rub.
    My standard rub will be smoked paprika, salt, sugar, garlic powder and some spices (lightly toast some fennel seeds, black pepper corns, cumin and cardamom pods then pestle and mortar).
    Coat the pork in frenches mustard (don’t worry; you won’t taste it) and sprinkle (don’t rub) the rub on. A good liberal coating.
    I’d definitely get a probe if you can, it takes the guess work out of when it’ll pull. The longer you cook it; the better it’ll be. i generally give it at least 6 hours but that’s low and slow. For best results; cook in a smoker.

teasel
    Free Member

I tried the following recently. Not bad at all…

I made a rub of brown sugar, salt and pepper, rubbed into the meat, wrapped in cling film and shoved in the fridge for 24 hours.

Remove and sear in the dutch oven. Add an onion chopped in half and cover with a bottle of normal coke, not diet.

Pop the lid on the dutch oven and stick in the oven for about 6 hours minimum at 150?C.

Pull it, if you must. Shredding is just as cool but doesn’t sound as trendy… 😉

chiefgrooveguru

The Pitt Cue recipe is good. I’d start it when you go to bed if you want it for lunchtime.

I just used up the leftovers from my most recent pulled pork in the world’s least healthy macaroni cheese – bacon crumb topping and all! 🙂

benp1

I’m not sure coke is going to do my dutch oven any favours, its uncoated and hasn’t had much chance to build up any real protective coating

What temp should the pork be? (I already have a probe)

wrecker
    Free Member

it’ll pull at around 190-200F. Add a bit for probe inaccuracy.

teasel
    Free Member

I’m not sure coke is going to do my dutch oven any favours, its uncoated and hasn’t had much chance to build up any real protective coating

You’re probably right; it’s nasty stuff. My dutch is enamelled but there’s still a faint mark.

I avoided the Coke method for a few years because it sounds awful. I was genuinely surprised. Obviously it doesn’t pay to attempt a reduction of the juice after stewing as it’s mostly sugar and you’d probably die…

dknwhy

We’ve done this one a few times and it’s really nice.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It’s all very cheese & pineapple on sticks isn’t it.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Always loved roast pork, in whatever format from Sunday Britroast to char siu. Hands down the best roast pork I ever tried was from a little Cuban family restaurant in the backstage of Key West. You could call it ‘pulled’ pork but I’m not sure what the requirements are, it seems like the latest buzz-phrase for any slow-cooked pork recipe?

Back to that Cuban pork , I spent ages over the years attempting to replicate it, and eventually found this lechon asado recipe which is half as good, ie very good:

http://icuban.com/food/lechon_asado.html

Served simply with saffron boiled rice and black beans.

(PS yes 20 garlic cloves!)

johndoh
    Free Member

I’d put it in the oven the night before – you’ve got loads of meat to cook. And I’d cook it at a lower temperature too.

bigblackshed

Have we not reached Peak-Pulled-Pork yet? In much the same way as we reached Peak-Beard in 2014?

My veggie BiL announced that he had eaten a delicious pulled Quorn something the other day. I openly mocked him in mixed company to the very edge of tears. [/shakes head mumbling about bloody hipsters]

😉

toby1

It needs to be seasoned and left to marinate for a good 24 hours before cooking, I prefer meathead rub (just google it).

Meat out and up to room temperature before sealing. Seal before the long cook.

I’d also go for a low and slow overnight cook, slower the better, it helps the fat reduce slowly keep the meat tender.

I usually opt with a BBQ sauce in my slow cooker along with the pork, there was a thread on here about 6 months back with loads of recipes on it for that, but almost any bbq sauce and slow cook recipe will work well.

For future versions shoulders on the bone cook really well too.

loddrik
    Free Member

Checks in..

DrP

DrP is hungry..

DrP

wolly
    Free Member

Brown sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne and chilli powder make a dry rub and cover the meat and let it sit at least overnight in the fridge.

Take it out of the fridge a good hour before cooking

Cook for 6/8 hours or until the internal temp is 190/195f

Enjoy

ourmaninthenorth

You could call it ‘pulled’ pork but I’m not sure what the requirements are, it seems like the latest buzz-phrase for any slow-cooked pork recipe?

Slow cooked pork. Pulled apart to serve.

It’s nice (if well cooked with a decent marinade and sauce), but it’s like the recent obsession with over-complicting burgers: the gentrification of basic American cuisine.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s food. Food, like anything else, constantly evolves and stuff comes and goes, and gets re-invented. pulled pork seems to get peoples knickers in a right twist for some reason.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

a delicious pulled Quorn something

😀

I think seeing bus stop billboards for KFC advertising abattoir sweepings in sauce as ‘Pulled Chicken’ is probably a sign of the epoch coming to an end.

chiefgrooveguru

If you cut the skin and fat off the outside you can then cure it, poach it and deep fry it to make pork scratchings! I have my first attempt at this currently curing in the fridge…

A probe thermometer really helps. Keep the BBQ/oven at 105-115 deg C and the pork will be done once it reaches 88 deg C internally. I smoked this last one on a dying gas BBQ with some wood from our apple tree on the flame side, pork on the other side – fiddly to keep the temperature steady though…

noahhowes
    Free Member

A second vote for the Pitt Cue rub and sauce, well worth the effort. and you’ll want a lot longer than just the morning to make proper pulled pork. A thermometer helps judge when ready.

https://www.thecaterer.com/articles/349708/recipe-of-the-week-pulled-pork-shoulder

gatsby
    Free Member

“Pulled” is just another word for sloppy presentation. Do it properly, and quit pulling my meat!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My recipie is:

Biggest, cheapest joint you can lay your hands on, remove all the string and trim off the fat.

1 bottle of cider.
    2 chiopottles
    more normal chilli’s to taste (a scotch bonnet gives a lively kick)
    3 big heaped tablespoons of soft dark sugar
    Lots of Paprika
    salt and pepper
    an onion
    some sage
    some cayene
    some tumeric
    and anything else I fancy

Into the slow cooker for at least overnight. It usually goes in after dinner the day before on low.

Remove the pork and set aside, get your glamorous assistant to shred it, by this time they’ll be breaking down the door as the smell will be all the way down the street. Pour the juice into a big pan and reduce until it’s the consistency of thin honey, note that it’ll thicken as it cools due to the sugar content, so in the pan it’ll still look quite watery.

Stir the sauce and meat together, chuck some in freezer bags and freeze for later.

chiefgrooveguru

I should add that I’ve yet to make the Pitt Cue Mother Sauce because it seems an absolute mother to do! It will happen though…

tinybits
    Free Member

I managed a couple of beauties for a party a while back. Nice dry rub (doesn’t really matter what, all the above will be good!), put on a roughly chopped onion, put a couple of inches of water in the tin. Cover with tin foil (the whole tray to keep the water in) whack in a low oven for hours (follow all the above about cooking it slowly). Then, after it’s almost cooked, take off the foil, drain the water and turn up high. You then get a sheet of stunning juicy crackling, and pork that falls apart.
    Serve with loads of home made coleslaw and bbq sauce on great big rolls, with juice running down your chin and a bloody good beer for best results.

Totally American and on trend? Yes possibly. Man v’s Food has a lot to answer for!

benp1

It’s slow cooked pork, nothing fancier than that, it just has a fancy name. Pulled Chicken is even funnier

I’m up for doing it overnight, saves a load of hassle in the morning. So that means marinade Thursday night, in the oven late Friday night to Sat morning

Internal temp needs to be 90C (190-195F ish)

Guessing oven at 150-160C? Stick it in at midnight and check in the morning, so maybe 8 hours cooking or so?

Liking that meathead rub, might use a bit of a take on that.

I was planning to use apple juice for the braising liquid – thoughts?

Brioche buns procured as a carbohydrate vessel

benp1

Ach, I drafted a reply, went for a meeting, came back and posted it without rechecking the thread

I’ve got a Thermopop thermometer which should give me a good reading

I’m really looking forward to this already!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I should add that I’ve yet to make the Pitt Cue Mother Sauce because it seems an absolute mother to do! It will happen though…

Try this too – The most useful jar in my armoury!. I cook it on a wee electric stove outside as it’ll nip yer eyes and throat for days if you don’t.

https://ajournalfromthekitchen.wordpress.com/2012/09/21/chipotles-en-adobo/

bigrich

pomegranate molasses

oh yes.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Pulled Pork recipe inspiration needed – Carnivore content’ is closed to new replies.