Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Pub on East side of Basingstoke – any recommendations?
  • cheshirecat
    Free Member

Need to be in Basingstoke this week. Any recommended decent food and beer pubs on the East side, near Oakley (or within a 10-15 minute drive (and no, I never drink and drive, not even a pint)).

Thanks

JulianA
    Free Member

Oakley’s on the west side of Basingstoke, so if you want to venture a little further west to Overton (5 minutes from Oakley along the B3400), try the Red Lion or the Honeypot (the Honeypot is only open Thursday to Saturday nights): both serve great food.

The Half Moon and Spread Eagle in Micheldever (5 minutes south of Overton) is supposed to be OK and the Queen Inn in Dummer (probably 10 minutes from Oakley – just south of the M3’s J7) looks better. Haven’t tried the Half Moon or the Queen Inn yet, so these two are hearsay.

Enjoy (and let us know what you think)!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

http://www.thebushinn.co.uk/home.php

Not too far off your area, but a little more to the South than East, but what the hell, eh? Awesome pub. Have the scallops. Oh, and give Paddy a tickle from me.

(Paddy is the pub spaniel, by the way!)

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Ooops – should be west side – thanks

mefty
    Free Member

The Fox in Oakley used to be a good pub – have not been there for a bit but the reviews on BITE are encouraging.

locomotive

The Fox in North Waltham is better.

The Fox

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ooops – should be west side – thanks

Even more reason to try the Bush then!

JulianA
    Free Member

+1 for the Bush Inn if you want to go a little further.

The Globe On The Lake in Alresford used to be good, but there have been a lot of changes over the last couple of years and it’s gone a long way downhill in our opinion.

JulianA
    Free Member

Red Fort in Overton if you want a great curry…

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Yep, The Bush Inn is good.
    Another one highly recommended is The Cricketers in Longparish but that might be a little too far. Great foody pub though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

+1 for the Bush Inn if you want to go a little further.

Only about 20 mins from Basingstoke, so not really too far.

Oh, and it’s the only pub with three votes so far so must be good! (It is, though. Very good)

cinnamon_girl

A couple of weeks I had a meal at the Globe on the Lake in my former home town of New Alresford. Food was very good but they really did scrimp on the veg – there were two of us and we presumed that a second dish of veg would be following. None appeared. 🙁

Another possibility is The Woolpack at Totford, have stopped there for a delicious mid-ride coffee. Singletrackmind of this parish highly recommended the place and I believe he did eat there.

Also, how about the pub in Hannington – The Vine is it?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Pub on East side of Basingstoke – any recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.