• This topic has 70 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by nuke.
Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • PSA: Pro Torque Wrench 2-14NM £24.97 (Superstar Daily Deal)
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Not sure how I feel, to be honest.

Do you need to torque about it with someone?

Jamie
    Free Member

Do you need to torque about it with someone?

Probably should do. I guess it was more gut-wrenching than I thought it would be.

chakaping
    Free Member

I thought you seemed a bit up-tight.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

What torque for steerer tubes?

It often says on the stem, usually around 10nm or so.

I’m not sure if you need less for a carbon steerer, I’ve done mine tight enough so it doesn’t slip but not much tighter, so will re-torque once mine arrives.

somafunk

The trouble with a mechanical torque wrench that is rated from 5-25Nm is that the lower and upper torque settings (5,6,7,8 Nm and 22,23,24 25 Nm) will not be that accurate as mechanical clicker wrenches are ideally recommended to be used in the somewhat middle of their range for greater accuracy, so the one above will be practically useless for 4Nm and 5Nm stem bolts and such like – perfectly alright for crank bolts though.

For stem faceplate/stems/seatpost bolts etc i’d recommend a simple ritchey or snap-on torque preset 5nm key wrench or similar.

Trekster

Just been presented a personal torque wrench at work and told we will be going on a course on how torque stuff and then be expected to use it.
    Managed well enough for the majority of stuff for 40 odd yrs 😉

Last shift included slackening then torquing 24 x 16mm cap screws to 150lb ft and 280deg whilst supporting wrench at shoulder height 😯

One of the torque wrenches I use is almost as tall as me @ 6ft and can take 2 people to operate in some awkward positions.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Nice, I already have one for higher torque settings, but this is perfect for things like carbon bars which need less than 10Nm

What handlebars have bolts with a torque rating. ?

DrP

The stem….

DrP

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ah the stem has a torque figure… Independant of the handlebar material….

It always make me chuckle when i see a torque figure written on bars …. 5nm in a shit stem can still damage your bars.

allthepies
    Free Member

Octopus compatible ?

vincienup
    Free Member

somafunk – Member 
    The superstar torque wrenches are exactly the same as these £100 Pedros Torque Wrenches, good value at £25 indeed but remember to store it unwound and don’t force it further once you hear/feel the torque click

And don’t forget that adding grease to bolt threads will render attempts to measure tightening torque useless… Torque wrenches are great but misused often. 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Not even with appropriate use of the k factor into the equation…. Even loctite has a lubricity coefficient when your torquing stuff

exupmonkey
    Free Member

Yesterdays “your item has been dispatched” email has just been superceded by todays “your item has not been dispatched and has been oversubscribed,should be dispatched at the end of January” email. Bollocks! Never mind, birthday pressie instead of christmas pressie then 🙂

northshoreniall

Snap, same email here after dispatch one yesterday. Had ordered 2 one as christmas present, Oh well can be an end of January present 🙂

dudeofdoom

Mine just dropped through the door 🙂

I also treated myself wiv the other 20% offer to a crown race setter – a luxury tbh but right tool makes the job so easy…
    Nearly went for bb facing/thread kit but there still pricey.

ninfan
    Free Member

Got mine today, seems lovely quality, calibration certificate and everything, well done superstar.

duckers
    Free Member

Received and used – seems decent quality and certainly can’t complain for £25! thankfully most of the bolts on my bike were ever so slightly under tightened, pretty good guess work but why take chances (£25 vs. £££££’s of components!!)

nuke

Saw the email from SS but didn’t bother reading it, now gone back and read it and its an ‘end of January’ email…meh, coped without for 20 odd years so another month won’t hurt

drlex
    Free Member

Now wrapped & nestling under Christmas tree. Fettling denied for 48 hours…

damascus
    Free Member

Mines just arrived. Seems a bargain for £25. I’ve been after one for a while after I removed a set of dropbars that had been crushed from the stem which worried me a bit.

Thanks for the heads up. I’m off to double check my stem bolts now .

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Got mine today :0) .. seems a bargain , thanks superstar

CHB

Just tried mine. Even at 2Nm it seams to want to tighten bolts WAY more than I ever would. I know from years of Allen key use how tight to go into Alu before damage is done and this seems to want to tighten far too much before clicking. How has everyone else found theirs?

legend
    Free Member

Note to self: try it on a torque gauge before use

ninfan
    Free Member

its not a click slip one, its a head flops a bit to one side at required torque one

like this

CHB

ah…might have to go check if its a case of RTFM.

dudeofdoom

Mines also now sat under tree – Mrs DoD had a present non-delivery issue so I gave her some of my ‘me2me’ pressies to give to me ….

duckers
    Free Member

Note to self: try it on a torque gauge before use

I’d be interested to see the results of that as well! Can you post once you’ve done it please?

legend
    Free Member

Will do.

I’ve got one of the wee 5Nm torque tools that they do too, that came in at just shy of +10% of the indicated value. Not bad for £12

iainc

Mine came earlier today, looks pretty good. Compared it to my Giant one and seems calibrated the same. Seems good quality and certainly ok for the money.

nuke

True to their word, mine has now been dispatched 🙂

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Pro Torque Wrench 2-14NM £24.97 (Superstar Daily Deal)’ is closed to new replies.