Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)
  • PSA: Manitou Mattoc Pro 2, £399 @ CRC
  • Stevelol
    Free Member

£359 with BC membership

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/manitou-mattoc-2-pro-forks-15mm-crc-exclusive-2017/rp-prod158504

Bargain, that’s my new fork sorted . This is the top spec model in black.

superstu
    Free Member

Anyone know how easy is it to change the travel? Bargain but I want 140mm ideally. Says changeable to 140 or 150 with supplied spacers.

oldnpastit

If we’re doing PSAs on forks, Freeborn have the McQueen (Boost) at £360:

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/x-fusion-mcqueen-27-5-boost

I picked one up, seems pretty good, though not had much chance to try it out properly.

The roughcut damper is an additional £100.

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

Stu,

Very easy with the tool kit, particularly the thin walled socket to remove the lowers. It’s not impossible to do without it though. You can use an allan key but it’s a bit of a faff to get them back together doing it that way.

The cut out cassette lock ring tool tool helps too as you don’t have to remove any thing to get the air shaft apart but you can still use a park cassette tool(think it’s an fr-5 from memory) which has quite a deep opening inside which clears the air valve but you need to take the rubber bumper off first.
    Obviously you need grease and oil to reassemble them too.

If you get a pair and are near Huddersfield you are welcome to use my tools as they are not cheap.

I can recommend the forks. Had the first version, they had a creaky csu so we’re replaced recently with the 2s which shouldn’t feel any different but seem better. Smoother and better damped. They are a match for my pikes on the other bike.

timc
    Free Member

oldnpastit – Member

I picked one up, seems pretty good, though not had much chance to try it out properly.

How does it feel stiffness wise?

poah
    Free Member

I’m really happy with my mattoc with the IRT kit – can’t tell the difference between the pike and the mattoc in stiffness terms but then I’m not a pro or a tester or a fat ****.

DezB
    Free Member

Don’t put em on backwards though eh.

Redbus
    Free Member

Back in stock now. Are these any good?

howdoo
    Free Member

I’ve got 2 of these forks
    I really rate them, especially with the IRT. Easy to service and lots of help via mtbr forum.

roverpig

I notice that the description says “internally adjustable to 150mm or 140mm using the supplied travel spacers” but in the questions below someone from CRC states that “These forks are not supplied with travel spacers”. Worth bearing in mind if you don’t want 160mm travel.

vicksplace

Thanks for the heads-up roverpig

These are down to £349 today. I’ve just ordered some so will see if the spacers are supplied or not.

Looks like you can get them as a separate kit anyway for around £20.

roverpig

No problem. It will be interesting to see what turns up. I suspect the CRC guy could have been getting confused between travel adjust spacers and the IVA kit that has spacers to adjust the volume of the air chamber (and presumably isn’t included). It’s a great price either way.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

What’s the clearance like in these? Would 27.5+ wheels/tyres work?

macias
    Free Member

Does perhaps anyone know – if you change the travel on these – does it affect the A2C measurement?

howdoo
    Free Member

Hi the travel spacers are only needed to reduce travel. They should be included.

Changing travel changes a2c measurement. Travel spacers are 10mm so a2c changes according.

For plus tyres that fit see the mtbr suspension forum. There’s a mattoc thread that shows what plus tyres some people are using.

Cheers

macias
    Free Member

Thanks!

Simon

I’m slightly pissed off that I ordered some of these forks last Wednesday at £399 and now they’re £50 cheaper 🙄

Stevelol
    Free Member

Have you used them? Send them back?

Did you get travel spacers?

I ordered some when I posted this thread but they cancelled my order 🙁

Reordered at new price and mine should be despatched today, hopefully…

Speeder

A shame they keep putting the brace on the wrong side – means a lot of people overlook a perfectly good fork because it looks awful.

I know it’s good engineering but it just looks wrong from the riding position when you look down on it

Simon

Mine haven’t arrived yet. If I can’t get the new price applied to my order I might just send them back and buy some more.

wwaswas

Never ride with a Lefty 😉

Tbh, after riding a pair of Bluto’s with a 4″+ tyre in them *all* fork/tyre comobos look wrong in a “Surely, there’s just not enough rubber there to give any sort of grip” kind of way.

dlr

Why does the brace on the rear look awful? It looks better plus it means less mud, stones etc get to the stanchions as the brace intercepts them first.

Speeder

dlr – Member
    Why does the brace on the rear look awful? It looks better plus it means less mud, stones etc get to the stanchions as the brace intercepts them first.

it has very good practical and engineering reasons to be that way but it just looks wrong sorry. No real idea why but I just couldn’t get on with the way it looks from the “cockpit” when I tried a mates Travis DH forks many years ago. It’s like there’s no arch and they’re going to move independently – much like an USD fork 😆

roverpig

For a sport that tries to portray itself as a bit rebellious I’m always amazed at how conservative most MTBers seem to be. If it looks different then it’s wrong. I remember when 29ers first hit the market and everyone claimed they looked gopping etc. Not they look normal and I dare say any new 26″ bike would look wrong. If all forks had the arch on the back I dare say we’d have people refusing to buy one with the arch on the front because it didn’t look right. We’re a funny bunch.

Simon

CRC have been very good, as I just missed out on the price reduction they’ve given me a £50 voucher

Simon

I’ve just received mine. They came in a proper Manitou box with travel reduction spacers included and some stickers in different colours.

roverpig

Ooh, what colours ? Silly as it undoubtedly is, one of the things that puts me off sticking a pair of these on my old Five is that the red wont go well with neon orange 😳

Simon

Black, white, green and red. The “M” stickers look to be the same size as on the fork but the spare “Manitou” stickers look bigger than the ones on the fork.

Stevelol
    Free Member

I’m excited now 😀

vicksplace

Ooh great news that they come with the spacers (and stickers!)

I’m excited too 😀 Anyone have the tool kit to do the travel adjust and can confirm it works? It gets poorly reviewed on CR with people saying the cassette tool thingy doesn’t fit…

Stevelol
    Free Member

Mine have just been despatched 🙂

Yeah the tool kit is supposed to be pants, it’s bad enough that it’s £40 for the 3 tools but I already have a flat ground 24mm socket so I’m effectively paying £40 for a thin walled socket 🙁

steel4real
    Free Member

Pimped bars & stem last week and now new forks Steve – you must have been saving hard for that engagement ring ! 🙂

Stevelol
    Free Member

Marcus stop stalking me you weirdo 😀 I already had the stem, but yes it’s been a frivolous week.

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

See my post further up about the tool kit. I think the people saying the cassette tool is poor have likely been sent the wrong cut out freewheel tool which has narrower splines rather than the cassette tool. Mine works fine.

sv

IVA adjust included?

vicksplace

cheers simonhuscroft,

I’ve just ordered the CRC one too so fingers crossed it will work OK.

daver27
    Free Member

just bought a set as well… hopefully travel spacers are included as i need to drop it to 140 for the winter hardtail..

sv

The travel spacers are included, not sure about the IVA tokens though?

Simon

This is what came in the box…I think the black plastic bits are the travel spacers.
    What are the metal bits?

Forks are fitted with the IVA cartridge, no idea if there are any tokens in there I’ve not had a look.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Manitou Mattoc Pro 2, £399 @ CRC’ is closed to new replies.