Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • PSA – ITV4 now -Slaying the Badger
  • MoreCashThanDash

Just stumbled across this, never seen it before, thought I’d just mention it as there is sod all else on tonight

cynic-al
    Free Member

I hope its on catch up, I don’t get itv4

mrblobby
    Free Member

Based on a great book by Richard Moore.

Also worth checking out the new book on Hinault by William Fotheringham. Arguably the greatest ever cyclist. Worth reading this book before the other.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ooh its on catch up.

How can a doc with lots of interviews be based on a book?

welshfarmer

Thanks for the PSA. I saw the title but thought it was some dumb comedy! Just watched on catchup. Compelling viewing.

MrNice
    Free Member

Every time I hear the title I think it sounds like a Roger Mellie profanisaurus-style euphemism for some form of sexual activity.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Cynic-al, the book came first, tells the story and has lots of interviews in it. Then the documentary was made, same title and came out of the writing of the book. I think the documentary is actually “inspired” by the book, whatever that means.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Missed the start, but enjoyed it nonetheless.
    However, what was that external girdle / corset type thing that Lemond was wearing for a lot of the interviews?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Back brace he wore after a car accident.

hatter

He may have been egotistical to almost the point of caricature but Hinault is still my favorite roadie of all time, proper blood and thunder rider with the best race face in the sport.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hatter, never really got to see Hinault race, bit before my time, but the more I read about him the more I like him

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Someone once said about Hinault that “He is a big champion but a small man” Pretty accurate of you read the book on which the programme is based.

mrblobby
    Free Member

That is what I thought having read Moore’s book… but before reading Fotheringham’s book. Definitely worth reading Fotheringham’s first as you see the badger actions in a very different light.

ransos
    Free Member

Someone once said about Hinault that “He is a big champion but a small man” Pretty accurate of you read the book on which the programme is based.

I thought the real villain was Paul Koechli, the coach. I wouldn’t trust him as far as I could throw him.

FOG

Saw this on Saturday at the ‘cycle to the cinema’ in Bamford. Great film but a great night out, a few pints in the Angler’s Rest and a brilliant midnight ride back over Stanedge with the moon huge and orange. The only good thing about the motorwaying of Stanedge is that I can finally ride up it consistently instead of misjudging rock steps and grinding to a halt. Downhill of course it is a complete travesty!

brassneck

Was very impressed with the film. Read the book a while back and wasn’t expecting it to add much but it was a rivetting watch. Well worth catching up on.

mrblobby
    Free Member

By the way, if you have Eurosport, there’s also a 90 min Perspectives documentary doing the rounds on Hinault at the moment. Worth a watch.

Really was a awesome rider. Won pretty much everything from all three Grand Tours multiple times, to one day classics (Paris Roubaix, Liege, Lombardia, Amstel Gold, etc.) to the world champs. Even won the last stage of the Tour on the Champs while in the yellow jersey. Just phenomenal.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘PSA – ITV4 now -Slaying the Badger’ is closed to new replies.