Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • PSA: Carbon 456's – £299 over at on-one
  • wwaswas

You don’t get stickers but still a good price, imo.

http://on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOCAR456ND/on-one-carbon-456-un-decalled-frame

donsimon
    Free Member

Bloody hell, that’s cheap. I can’t help wondering how it is possible to get an undecaled carbon frame so cheaply. It’s a mystery. 😕

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just from some chineese catalogue innit?

Sheesh! 🙄

donsimon
    Free Member

I’m not sure about that PP, surely there’s more to it than just picking one out of a catalogue…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Nahh. Can’t be at that price. Even a REAL eejit can understand that!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Double post

wwaswas

I heard this batch didn’t have any downtubes as it was the only way they could keep the price down and it also gives a good ‘infinitely variable’ geometry effect.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PMSL! 😀

andyl
    Free Member

Tempted to buy a 2nd one!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Me too..!

Woody
    Free Member

All this discounting does make me wonder why anyone would be daft enough to buy anything at full price? Strikes me that they are turning into the mtb equivalent of a furniture store without the need for bank holidays!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mine wasn’t far off that price mind: £399 including headset and seatpost and stickers….

wwaswas

they are turning into the mtb equivalent of a furniture store without the need for bank holidays!

they always were, though.

Inbred’s have always had fairly elastic pricing.

Normally there seems to be a pattern based on delivery of next roudn of stock;

1) pre-order price – get a few sales before container arrives
    2) full price for a few weeks after stuff arrives.
    3) start adding bundles to get rid of stock that hasn’t sold/build kit they’ve got excess of.
    4) drop price a month or two before next container to get rid of over stocks/odd sizes
    5 Go to 1

it’s just as the ranegs have expanded amd the containers arrive in a staggered way it’s not so obvious.

jon_on-one
    Free Member

Well, they are definitely not open mold! A lot of work’s gone into this frame and I think I can stick my head out as saying it’s the frame we are most proud of to date. But really, in reality- this is the REAL price- we are making less margin than ideally at £299 but still- the hiked up prices you see elsewhere really are taking the mick. That’s me being honest 🙂 Get one, they’re ace, even better with the slackset…

letmetalktomark

Unashamedly tempted …. 🙄 😆

Which headset would I need for “std” 1 1/8” forks ?

wwaswas

Personally, I’d get one of the Hope ‘mix and match’ ones to suit – the external 1.5″ to 1 1/8″ one with a standard crown race is ok on mine. I foudn the on-one smoothie needed too much attention both in terms of regreasing and keeping it tight.

gratiutous pick showing hope headset if you zoom in a bit;

letmetalktomark

Hmmm.

Was thinking a light SS.

This isn’t helping …. I need a drink

wwaswas

is about 23and a bit lbs with that build – ok for a 140mm travel bike.

had lighter wheels and a PAce XC41 fork before and it was 22.

I did a quick write up on mine over here;

http://brightonmtb.org/2011/06/16/on-one-456-carbon/#more-3359

if it’s any help…

bigjim

Hmmm. I do have some spare wheels, forks and brakes.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I was going to build up a Summer Slacker I have lying around, but not sure what to do now. 😕

has anyone got an opinion on how it’d look with Salsa Cromoto rigids or carbon rigids, I’m thinking….crap!?

letmetalktomark

B.A.Nana – Member

I was going to build up a Summer Slacker I have lying around, but not sure what to do now.

has anyone got an opinion on how it’d look with Salsa Cromoto rigids or carbon rigids, I’m thinking….crap!?

That’s what I was thinking too 🙂 Cromoto forks that is ….

nmdbase
    Free Member

I just did a sick 🙁

pop-larkin
    Free Member

wwaswas- not sure about that extra brace from the downtube to the stanchions!

andyl46
    Free Member

24lbs here

And yes, that fence is shocking.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

The fence looks ok, it’s the frame I’d worry about.

jambon
    Free Member

Oh I’m soooooo happy I waited out until the missus had returned to the UK to do some work. Just bought a 20″ at this new silly price. I hope it’s as good as everone posts. LOL

jambon
    Free Member

Hey Andy146, is that a 20″? I hope so as it looks skill.

andyl
    Free Member

I fell for the pre-order thing 🙁 Never again!

And I still didnt have it built when they brought out the deals with all the extras for the same price.

Oh and then I had the tapered fork problem 🙁

Jon @ on one – can you please do a really good deal on the swap outs? I always thought the frames should come with both – or at least have the option to buy the second set at a hugely discounted price when ordering the frame as all your older frames that could do both did so with no extra parts needing to be bought. And the new 29er inbred comes with both.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not being funny Jon…well OK I am…why not edesign it with tIe best head angle to start with?

Or are both head angles actually OK…but you had a load of frames to shift?

D0NK

Been £299 unstickered for a while now aint they?

If you’re answering Qs on here jon
    any sign of a c456 compatible chaintug? (instead of my filed down ebay one)
    are you going to do a mixer 1.1/8″ crown race separately? (so I don’t have to change the race if I wanna run rigid in winter)

brant
    Free Member

The head angle thing is me… After a few years of slackness, brought on initially by the summer season, then the ragleys, I wanted something slacker. The c456 is the same geometry as the steel and ti 456. Which Guy K admired so much. Which is why Stevo kept that geometry when he was making the carbon drawings with René.

I don’t think there’s a wrong or right. Different is good. Split that difference? Well. Maybe eh?

bigjim

I’m confused, are people trolling or are there two head angle options?

Northwind

cynic-al – Member

Not being funny Jon…well OK I am…why not edesign it with tIe best head angle to start with?

Because there’s no such thing as “best”. I bought mine with the intention of fitting a works components headset but it came with a free smoothie so I thought I might as well build it up as standard… And it turned out to be mint. Still want to try it slacker mind.

My Hemlock’s fab with its WC headset slackening it off by 2 degrees, I wouldn’t go back… but it’s not better than standard, just different- more to my taste but probably not for everyone.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Kind of my point North…

Rorschach
    Free Member

It does make you wonder…if they can do what is a fairly low volume production run and still be viable at £300.Why does a Niner Air carbon/Santa Cruz High Ball etc cost SIX times as much?

D0NK

Why does a Niner Air carbon/Santa Cruz High Ball etc cost SIX times as much?

coz someone will pay 6x as much for one with a certain brand name. No-ones gonna pay £1800 for an on-one. They charge what they can get away with. OO produce cheaply and sell lots, other companies produce….well not quite as cheap, but put more shine and a bit of spin on it and charge a lot more, they only sell a few but make their profits – but you already knew that didn’t you

Northwind

cynic-al – Member

Kind of my point North…

At the risk of being a h8er… you’re going to have to expand on that a bit tbh, no idea what point you’re trying to make.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It seemed to me the angleset thing is the latest new thing and used to breathe life into this model and no doubt others. Neither is best…though each version is best when on one are trying sell.

Just business…

paulo6624
    Free Member

When will this slackset be available ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Early 1980s 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Carbon 456's – £299 over at on-one’ is closed to new replies.