Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • PSA – Autotrader/Paypal scam
  • GavinB

Just thought it worth posting here, as I’ve had an attempted scam via email, and after a quick Google, it would appear to be quite active.

Basically, I’ve got my car up for sale at the moment, and late last night the following email chain started, which ended quite quickly once I stated I would only accept cash:

Cash only.

Gavin

On 12 Apr 2011, at 03:44, colin joce <colin003@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
    > Thanks for your quick response,Can you assure me that it’s in good
    > state and that i will not be disappointed with it.I’m ready to pay
    > your asking price and to be honest, i wanted to buy this for someone
    > very close to me living in brazil, but the issue is i am not in state
    > presently to complete this transaction with you locally by cash so am
    > purchasing this item as a gift for someone very close to me living in
    > brazil.. and am willing to make deal with a serious and legitimate
    > seller due to too many scam out there..Since I’m requesting this
    > transaction to be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the
    > paypal fee/charges on this transaction and if you don’t have an
    > account with paypal its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one.
    > Just log on to http://www.paypal.com. I hope we can make the purchase as fast
    > as possible? I have a mover that will come for it once payment clears
    > in from your paypal account to your bank account.You can send me your
    > PayPal email ID or a PayPal money request via PayPal and i’ll make the
    > Payment right away…
    >
    > Hope to hear from you soonest
    > Thanks
    >
    > On 4/11/11, Gavinxx xxxxx<gavinxxxxxxx@xxxxx.com> wrote:
    >> Hi Colin,
    >>
    >> Yes, it is still available.
    >>
    >> Let me know when you would like to come and see it, or give me a call in the
    >> morning to talk it over.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your interest.
    >>
    >> Yours,
    >> Gavin
    >> On 11 Apr 2011, at 22:30, Colin Joce wrote:
    >>
    >>> I’m interested in purchasing this vehicle,
    >>> Let me know if you have it available
    >>> Thanks

The scary thing is, a quick check shows loads of people falling for this, giving these guys their Paypal details, only to be overpaid, with a request to pay some Credit Union type service for shipping agents. Someone then calls, colects the car, then raises a dispute on Paypal. Paypal then take back the money from your bank account (which they can now do), and you are left without your car and about £1000 down too.

So, basically, back to old adage, if it sounds too good to be true, it is!

Hairychested
    Free Member

Paypal gift 🙂

woody2000

quick check shows loads of people falling for this

Really? I mean really really?

Jeebus 😐

Drac

I can see why people would fall for that yeah, I mean there’s nothing odd about it at all is there. 😯

pjt201
    Free Member

it really does amaze me how stupid some people are. I was buying a car a little while ago and one came up on auto trader at a ludicrously cheap price. I emailed them, they said car is in London but they are in Spain and can I paypal them the money and they’ll get the car delivered. erm, no don’t think so.

As above I can’t believe people fall for this type of thing. I don’t think I’d ever sell a car to someone who didn’t at least want to look at it first – either they’re dodgy or I’m not asking for enough money!

Cougar

Western Union transfers can’t be retracted, this much I knew. But I had to google this scam as I’m clearly missing something (otherwise, what’s to stop all PP transactions going the same way?)

Seems the ‘gotcha’ here is that the “you have been paid” Paypal emails are faked.

(To clarify; obviously it’s a scam, it’s too convoluted not to be. I just couldn’t immediately see the mechanic)

GavinB

It is a ridiculous scam – as soon as I saw the reference to Brazil, and getting the car picked up (without checking it over) I twigged and asked for cash only. Funnily enough I haven’t heard from the scammer since!

Other people have had similar with the person claiming to be working on an oil rig, or on a yacht (as a oceanographer), or other such rubbish.

Cougar

Funnily enough I haven’t heard from the scammer since!

It’ll be a boilerplate email sent to loads of people rather than direct to you. They won’t be sat there going “oh” all disappointed. They have wide nets.

GavinB

Just Google “autotrader paypal scam” for an idea.

Err, thanks Cougar, here was me thinking I’d pwned them, and they were crying away at their laptop in Malaysia. 🙄

mysterymove
    Free Member

I had the same thing through Auto Trader – mine was a little more believable story though ;o)

They offered to pay via PayPal wait for funds to clear into my bank account and then pick up the car – when I checked with Auto Trader they confirmed it as a scam – apparently you can claim a payment as fraudulent and PayPal can withdraw funds upto 21 days later!

Right now I’m getting fed up with buyers on eBay making bids and not honoring them!

Anyone on here want an Audi A3 S-Line – high mileage but a steal…

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

well that depends on the price! (go on, might actually be interested…)

bland

can i buy it using paypal, its just that i dont want my wife to know i have been buying stuff again, ill do it as a gift?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Autotrader/Paypal scam’ is closed to new replies.