Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • PSA – ALDI bike stuff 29th September
  • dawson

according to here – http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/aldi-cycling-clothing-and-accessories-first-look-31667

although that article is like an advert – it might be worth a look

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I love the aldi autumn thing. Here’s my impartial summary:

Armoured Bicycle Lock – £4.49 (for bikes that cost 44.90)
    Bicycle Pannier Rack – £9.99 (dunno)
    Bike Stand – £29.99 (FANTASIC-for the cash. Never ever let it see rain / mist / moisture though! And dont expect a quick release. DO expect to modify it a bit to stop your bike moving, but it’s cheap!)
    Bicycle Tyre Puncture Repair Kit – £2.99 (Got it never used it)
    Cycling Accessories – £6.99 (dunno – could be anything)
    Cycling Merino Shirt – £14.99 (CRAP – unless you never ever wash what you wear. It shrinks to -2 sizes in a cold wash).
    Cycling Rain Jacket – £19.99 (not used)
    Cycling Shoes – £19.99 (not used – too narrow)
    Cycling Thermal Underwear – £9.99 (Really really good. Not artic stuff – but good)
    Drinking Bottle with Cage – £2.99 (duuno)
    Front and Rear Mudguard Set – £7.99 (dunno)
    Front/ Rear LED Bicycle Light – £6.49 (good enough in a sticky position. Not sure about longevity – I got some rust on battery contacts).
    IB: Reflective Band – £4.49 (dunno_)
    Microfibre Towel – £3.99 (dunno)
    Sports Travel Speaker – £14.99 (dunno – but sounds handy on a bike – perhaps like an ashtray?)
    Waterproof Cycling Trousers – £9.99 (HOT HOT HOT. Nice on a baltic day. Otherwise not for an autumn wet day. Unless you want to be Rocky)
    Winter Cycling Shirt – £8.99 (FANTASIC! for the cash still going strong)
    Winter Cycling Socks – £3.29 (dunno)
    Winter Cycling Trousers – £12.99 (dunno)
    Winter Cycling Gloves -£4.99 (really really good. Warm AS! not totally waterproof ime, but even when wet – WARM!)
    Winter Cycling L/S Jersey -£15.99 (This is where I will fight any and all in front of me in the Q. A real bargain. Warm. Shower proof. Washable. Doesnt stink. Does fade like crazy after a few years, but still a bargain. Sizes can be odd.)

And that’s it.

pitduck
    Free Member

i thank you 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

Gloves, thermals, socks and waterproof troons (really need these for the commute) all recommended. I use the microfibre towels for the commute / gym shower also, dry quickly and take no space – used one just 15 mins ago 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

The gloves for a fiver are awesome. Already have 2 pairs, but might pick up some more. Not really sure about everything else. Might pick up some thermal leggings. Was hoping for a waterproof/winter soft shell thingy I picked up last year, but does not look like they have it this time.

nbt

I got one of the merinos for Mrs NBT when they were on sale last year, it’s *excellent* for the money, even better value than on-one.

Their winter gloves are great too.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Gloves are fantastic, got several pairs and used them all through winter, very warm even when wet. Winter top and socks are also superb.

I will be scrapping with the coffin dodgers in the queue at 7.30 next thursday outside Aldi.

Jamie
    Free Member

Luckily I can stroll into my local Aldi any time on the Thursday, and their is usually stuff left.*

*Yep, I now realise it will all be gone by 8:05 now.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

The gloves are good, they look crap, but work a treat. For a fiver? Bargain.

bigjim

Edinburgh bike coop’s stand was on sale for £49 recently, not sure if it still is, they are pretty good though.

swoosh
    Free Member

Was hoping for a waterproof/winter soft shell thingy I picked up last year, but does not look like they have it this time.

They’ve called it the Winter Cycling L/S Jersey. I got one last year and think it’s awesome.

I’ll be getting some mudguards for my £30 hack/commuter bike and maybe a thermal top, socks, l/s jersey. Friend wants a stand so might get that for him too.

kudos100
    Free Member

Does this stuff go within the first few hours, or can you turn up at lunchtime and still get choice bits?

Jamie
    Free Member

Depends on the store, kudos. Some will still have stuff days later, others will be stripped bare by commuters and eBay sellers in seconds.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i have three pairs of the gloves and so do mates. One started peeling and we had a look at the inside it and is made with BBT
    Bin Bag Technology
    Still rate them though but can be clammy IO take two paris for long days

Tops are good
    Shorts ok but nort great as are trousers
    I had the refelctive bands [ with led lights] and they would not switch off after a bit of use
    No way [waterproofing aside] I will pay normal prices for tops utter maddness
    Yours
    Team Aldi on 4k bikes …the irony 😯

ski
    Free Member

Winter Cycling L/S Jersey -£15.99 (This is where I will fight any and all in front of me in the Q. A real bargain. Warm. Shower proof. Washable. Doesnt stink. Does fade like crazy after a few years, but still a bargain. Sizes can be odd.)

Good call, into the 3rd year of use with mine and still going strong.

The cycling socks are also good, lasted 2-3 years so far and have been abused to bits!

Shoes – had them peel apart on me after 3-4 rides

The overshoe sock & winter cap things (sorry not sure what the real name is) – work very well keeping my feet & head toasty in the winter last year, might only last a couple year mind.

chakaping
    Free Member

How beathable are the softshell jackets?

Don;t need anything else as the jerseys and gloves I bought a couple of years ago are still going strong!

Junkyard
    Free Member

not seen this years but they change them a bit they are fully breathable from what i can tell and fairly waterproof – drizzle light ran …proper downpor you need a waterproof as it will eventually soak through [ hour or so] but fine for the commute or with packed mac type thingy.
    If it is not forecast to rain it is what i wear in winter and a stealth if rain is forecast.
    They seem to alter the arms and one year had vents [ non windproof pane;s is probably a more accurate description] one year not ..that depends a mate likes the panel I find I have cold arms

chakaping
    Free Member

cheers 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

They’ve called it the Winter Cycling L/S Jersey. I got one last year and think it’s awesome.

Ah. Good to know, will start sharpening my elbows ready for the scrum then.

Hopefully there are some half decent colours.

ourmaninthenorth

Socks for me. You can never have enough socks*.

*mainly because when my MIL decides to be helpful and do our washing (whilst looking after Baby North) my socks disappear and never return.

Tracey

Pics and prices now up on Aldi website

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I think my winter trousers are from Aldi, more of a 3/4 non bib short but great under baggies with knee/shin pads and warm socks.

theboatman
    Free Member

I will be refreshing my ‘winter cycling LS jersey’ then, the one I have been using for my daily commute for the last 12 months has been great. Could probably go on for longer, but for 15 quid, why not?

Will be picking up some more gloves and another set of the waterproof trousers, as both are pretty shagged after a years on and off use.

Socks were shite, won’t be bothering with them again.

Taff
    Free Member

I’ve got the Crane jacket which is a bit like neoprene, not exactly waterproof but windproof and really warm. Want another

Jamie
    Free Member

Pics and prices now up on Aldi website

Some interesting colour schemes on the jerseys. Very euro 80s.

norcosix
    Free Member

Thanks

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘PSA – ALDI bike stuff 29th September’ is closed to new replies.