Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Protein shakes – load of codswollop or actually useful?
  • Robz
    Free Member

The recovery “For Goodness” shakes are 3:1 sugar to protein. Only about 18gm of protein per 500ml bottle.

So you might as well drink chocolate milk from the supermarket and save yourself some cash.

bigrich

I’m currently riding 6 days a week and aldi’s own brand protein powder and hot buttered crumpets straight after I get off the bike really helps the leg guns get over it. the replenishment of glycogen is what you want to achieve

http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Abstract/2011/05000/Postexercise_Carbohydrate_Protein_Supplementation.4.aspx

if I’m away from home choco milk from the servo for the win.

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/h08-137#.VtuVu5N97Vo

tekp2
    Free Member

@Robz – will give it a shot.

imnotverygood

Frij seems to have exatcly the same effect on me as For Goodness Shakes at a third the price

brooess
    Free Member

I thought chocolate milk was the best balance of carbs and protein for recovery? I make my own from Cadbury’s Chocolate powder and milk in the blender.

Personally I reckon a lot of these specialized products which have come about in recent years e.g. gels, bars, protein supplements etc etc are just because we’re so consumerist about everything these days – the same nutritional function was delivered in days gone by using naturally-found food and a bit of hard work…

Beryl Burton didn’t need a protein shake when she got home did she?

MSP

the same nutritional function was delivered in days gone by using naturally-found food and a bit of hard work…

….and brandy and amphetamines.

Beryl Burton didn’t need a protein shake when she got home did she?

Think how great she could have been with the advantages of modern understanding of training and nutrition.

docgeoffyjones

It’s been scientifically proven that the best recovery drink is actually milk. It contains all the stuff you need – fancy that the Human body producing something that is full of the stuff it actually needs. I guess mother nature knows best.

Nature knows to drink the milk of a different species which has been heavily selectively bred, injected with hormones and reproduces nearly exclusively with a farmers hand stuck up its ar*e whilst it is inseminated. well done mother nature

Also whey protein comes from milk

brooess
    Free Member

Well, I was thinking about your average rider rather than the pros! My Dad and his mates used Gold Label I believe, mind.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

the same nutritional function was delivered in days gone by using naturally-found food and a bit of hard work…

Do the records set in “days gone by” still stand, or have they been beaten?

EDIT : “Well, I was thinking about your average rider rather than the pros!”

Well that makes your reference to Beryl Burton a little confusing.

benp1

I’ve been wondering whether to add a spoon of protein powder to my breakfast nutribullet shake, to help with recovery and general leg tiredness. I commute in and out of work, c.10 miles each way

Currently contains spinach, apple, pear, banana, plum, peach, ginger, orange, milk, seeds and cocoa powder.

Not clear whether I should or not. Legs seem to feel tired all the time but in fairness I’m cycling regularly so wonder whether I should expect anything different

I eat fairly well, and certainly with quite a bit of quantity as well

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Frij seems to have exatcly the same effect on me as For Goodness Shakes at a third the price

you might want to go back and look at the sugar content of Frijj…

benp1

Sugar isn’t bad though is it, it’s carbs? (In moderation obs)

bigjim

A few less grams of sugar in Frijj than the For Goodness Shakes Recovery, at a whopping 49.7g sugar 😉

No wonder they make you feel different, your body will be going nuts dealing with that much sugar.

jimjam
    Free Member

Red Bull….the healthy option.

finbar
    Free Member

I’ve been wondering whether to add a spoon of protein powder to my breakfast nutribullet shake, to help with recovery and general leg tiredness. I commute in and out of work, c.10 miles each way

Currently contains spinach, apple, pear, banana, plum, peach, ginger, orange, milk, seeds and cocoa powder.

Not clear whether I should or not. Legs seem to feel tired all the time but in fairness I’m cycling regularly so wonder whether I should expect anything different

I eat fairly well, and certainly with quite a bit of quantity as well

EDIT: That’s 100 miles of commuting a week. No wonder your legs are tired.

imnotverygood

Frij has now got a lower sugar version with 25g per bottle.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Protein shakes – load of codswollop or actually useful?’ is closed to new replies.