Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Protecting wooden kitchen tops from water
  • brooess
    Free Member

My kitchen surfaces are all oiled wood – they look great and I’ve just given them a 6 monthly re-oil but the section behind the taps is getting battered – dried out all the time. The prob is that it catches all the water – when I wash my hands or wash the dishes it gets saturated.

Any thoughts about how to protect that section, but in way that doesn’t look too pony? I thought of putting down some thin clear plastic sheet, cut to fit which I can lift off and pour the excess into the sink. Like non-sticky helicopter tape. Other than that I’ll need to oil it every 4-6 weeks which is a bit of a ball ache…

ScotlandTheScared

I would just put a lot of oil on. Like coat it, leave overnight and then keep doing that until it cant absorb any more oil. Keeping it properly oiled in that area is the only way to make it water repellent.

Then make sure that you wipe up any water when you drip it there. Thats what we do with ours and we have no problems…

backtothetop
    Free Member

keep a can of wd40 on the side and have a quick of it spray every time u run the tap

Stoner
    Free Member

5+ coats of Danish. Dont skimp, do it properly and its pretty waterproofm even high wet areas.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/show-me-your-bathrooms/page/2#post-3565931

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Osmo top oil. I find i need to do some extra coats just around the sink but no problem. Osmo top oil really is a great product.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

First world problems… 😆

bruneep

getonyourbike – Member

First world problems..

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fork-not-reaching-full-travel

😉

getonyourbike
    Free Member

yup, my own first world problem. 😀 You actually bothered to go through my post history to find that? 😆

Tiger6791

5 coats of Dannish oil
    Sand
    5 coats of Dannish oil
    Wire wool
    2 more coats

bruneep

either that or “watch” casualty 🙄

getonyourbike
    Free Member

bruneep – Member
    either that or “watch” casualty

Fair enough. You made the right decision 🙂

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Paraffin works a treat

moniex
    Free Member

We have a hardwood work surface and used It for quite a few years. First my husband used Danish oil, but we found we had to keep oiling it. We have now used oil fom a local place called classic finishes. It is the stuff they recommend for bar tops and is great. Our kitchen gets heavy use and I oil every 18 months to 2 years.

Great stuff, we are in norwich, not sure if they sell online though.

druidh
    Free Member

You must be a really clarty scroat. My wooden worktops are about 8 years old and have been olied maybe 4 times. Try washing your hands in the sink for a change 🙂

GrahamS

Osmo top oil. I find i need to do some extra coats just around the sink but no problem. Osmo top oil really is a great product.

Yep!

Sod all this 12 coats of oil nonsense.

2 or 3 coats of Top Oil. Job done for about a year.
    Non-toxic and shrugs off water, red wine, curry etc

wrightyson
    Free Member

Osmo all the way!

Stoner
    Free Member

rich bastard

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Protecting wooden kitchen tops from water’ is closed to new replies.